Caribou Gear

Elk SE Idaho

groc426

Hello everyone,

First of all, I just want to say how lucky I feel to have found this forum! I've been lurking for a short while and finally decided to join the community. This forum has everything, as a hunter, that I'm looking for. At the moment I'm purely leeching all the information contained here, but one day I too hope to contribute.

Hopefully you all don't mind if I share a little about myself. I was born and raised in SE Idaho. After working a few years in Salt Lake City after school, I felt a great need to move back to Idaho Falls to be closer to my dad (no real reason other than my gut told me). Last year the dream finally came true and my family and I have joyfully returned!

When I was a kid I remember my dad hunting up in the Tetonia/Ashton area every year for deer, most of the time returning empty handed. Occasionally, my older brother and I were able to tag along. To be honest, 80% of it was road hunting :eek: I enjoyed it immensely though because it usually meant that I got to plug away at a few grouse hanging on the side of the road with my Marlin .22. When my brother was old enough my dad took him out to get his first deer, in which they returned with a nice sized doe. I still remember my brother's smile as they rolled up with that doe in the bed of the truck. I was jealous to say the least. After that year my dad stopped hunting all together. I think a lot of it had to do with the area he was accustomed to hunting as a kid had changed so much (private land), he didn't feel like it was worth his time anymore. When I was old enough no invitation was extended and no deer was(or has since been) ever taken. My dad taught me a lot of things, but hunting was unfortunately not one of them.

Roll forward to today. I'm back in Idaho and I have no greater desire than to learn and begin to hunt. Part of me feels ashamed that i didn't take advantage of this area when I was in High School. The problem/challenge/fun is I have to learn from scratch. I plan to dedicate a large portion of this summer to scouting some areas with the family (great bi-product of family hikes) in preparation for hunting season. Though I have a long bucket list of animals I want to hunt in SE Idaho, I've taken a keen interest in elk!

So here is the part of my post where I get to my question, especially those who have/do hunt SE Idaho. Though I lack the knowledge and experience of hunting elk I feel like I can receive a lot of my answers by gleaning information from this forum and other resources on the net, but one is really bothering me. Where are the Elk? Silly and seemingly lazy question, I know. I've been studying Google Earth like its final's week, but I'm left with more questions than answers. There are elk units in almost all of SE Idaho, so it is pretty overwhelming. How do i know what areas to scout or units to go to? How do you know where elk summer and where they winter? How can I get in the general area of elk?

I hope nobody thinks I'm asking for a handout because I'm really not. I am just looking for advice, direction to the right information, or a mentor. No matter what happens I'm going to give it my all and enjoy every moment of it! If it makes a difference I plan to rifle hunt (never tried archery, but really want to!) and while getting a nice bull would be exciting, it is second to getting meat in the freezer. Anyways, sorry this is a long winded post, but I wanted it to not only be used to ask a question but to introduce myself. Also if anyone has any good tips, information, websites, books, videos, and so forth for a new hunter I would be eternally grateful. We are so fortunate to be in a country where we can do this and I really plan to take full advantage of it and hope to pass along to my kids. As stated above I have a bucket list of game I would like to hunt in SE Idaho (deer, elk, antelope, moose, bear, mt. lion, wolf, mt. goat, turkey, coyote, etc) so I hope you all don't mind the questions I'm sure to have.

Thanks--

Garrett

Hi Garret,

Welcome to the forum.

I spent a few years in SE idaho in the mountains and loved that part of the state. Some good advice might be to lace up the boots, get away from the trails and roads, look for tucked away basins that aren't visible from vehicle access routes that have all the ingredients that elk need at that time of the year and gain an understanding of elk habits by being in the outdoors as much as possible away from the vehicle and those grouse.

Let us know on the forum how your scouting and field trips go and perhaps some members might be able to gain an understanding on your capabilities and willingness to actually learn rather then be given an 'X' on the map and i am sure you will do fine.

And by all means share with us on the forum what you glean from your conversations with the local biologists so that other hunters who climb hills in that part of the state can have an opportunity to learn from your pre season research.

Best of luck.

Last edited:
Welcome.

I too live in IF. I assume you are rifle hunting or do you shoot the stick and string as well? There is some good elk hunting to be had in E. Idaho. You can't be afraid to do some hiking to improve your chances. You can look south, east, west and north of IF and find elk.The fish and game website is a good tool it shows harvest stats and a bunch of other good info.
food, water, space, arrangement and cover=habitat

Good luck.

Welcome back to ID Garrett...

One trick to hunting SE ID is finding out when and where the sheep will be. Forest website and grazing manager can help. There are some areas of the best habitat you'll ever see just hammered and not a game animal around. Cattle are ok, find a thousand sheep and start looking to the nastiest fringe areas you can find.

for most it's getting off there azz....

Ain't that the truth.

Do you still have to pick your hunting district in advance?

Currently yes in Idaho you have to choose a zone which may include several units. They are redoing the long term elk plan right now to take affect in 2014 so things may change. IDFG has thrown around the idea for a fee to hunt another zone so we'll see.

Wow! Thanks for the welcomes and input everyone!

And by all means share with us on the forum what you glean from your conversations with the local biologists so that other hunters who climb hills in that part of the state can have an opportunity to learn from your pre season research.

I plan to share as much as possible with you guys, and wouldn't have you expect anything less of me. I don't mind sharing information so that we can all benefit. Perhaps I'll keep this thread alive by posting the information I find in it. Stupid question though, I read all the time to talk to your local biologist. Who are these biologist and where can I find them?

I assume you are rifle hunting or do you shoot the stick and string as well?

Only rifle for the time being, unfortunately. I would love to do archery, but I've spent my hunting budget on getting myself outfitted for this year and can't quite swing it for a while. Plus I've never done archery, so I would like to get a bit of experience under my belt before attempting it on any animal that might fall victim to my horribly placed shot. I've been keeping my eye open for a cheap, useable hunting bow though so I can start to learn.

One trick to hunting SE ID is finding out when and where the sheep will be. Forest website and grazing manager can help. There are some areas of the best habitat you'll ever see just hammered and not a game animal around. Cattle are ok, find a thousand sheep and start looking to the nastiest fringe areas you can find.

Great advice I haven't heard of before. Thank you for sharing!

My plan so far is to begin scouting areas north of the Blackfoot Resevoir/Grays Lake area, then working my way in a southeast direction. I'm actually hoping to get out today and explore the Taylor mountain area and find/shoot some coyotes. I don't believe there are Elk in this area, but I'm also searching for some good deer places so once again a great bi-product of doing something else fun.

Side note: If anyone is interested in talking coyote places, ideas, or hunts for this area let me know and I'll be happy to share. I've just started this year but have tried a handful of places already.

There are elk in every direction from you and IMO some really good general rifle oppurtunities. Sometimes lots of people in the woods, but for what it is pretty good elk quality as well. Also some really good controlled elk hunts in areas around IF that are probably worth a try and then use some of the general for fallbacks.

Captain's log... :)

Went out and didn't see a single coyote, but I still had a blast. I was out in Taylor Mountain and came across a couple moose and a handful of deer. Not too bad for a 10 minute drive from my home.

Here are some horrible cell phone pictures of one of the moose and some deer.

IMG_20130328_184814.jpg

Moose!

IMG_20130328_195153.jpg

Deer!

Did I mention how bad the pictures are? We saw lots and lots of sign for deer and moose. Wonderful place to spend the day! Next time I'll try and remember a real camera. Also I realized today that I cannot tell the difference between moose and elk droppings and tracks.

Next stop is this weekend down south along the border of Utah and Idaho in the Curlew Grasslands. Plan to mainly hunt some 'yotes, but as always will have my eyes peeled for other game...especially elk!

Also...not sure if this is the appropriate place to post this so if it needs to be moved or if I need to stop posting non-related elk info I can do that too.

Last edited:
If you head to the Curlew, I'd try to go early as there are quite a few sharptail grouse there and they may be strutting. Watching grouse strut is way cool! I never did get to see sharpies do their thing, but have watch sage grouse.

If you head to the Curlew, I'd try to go early as there are quite a few sharptail grouse there and they may be strutting. Watching grouse strut is way cool! I never did get to see sharpies do their thing, but have watch sage grouse.

This never crossed my mind, but I would love to see them strutin' around. Thanks for the suggestion! I'll pack our nice camera along in case I run across any. Hopefully I'll have some nice pictures to share after the weekend.

First off have you considered a controled cow tag? Its a fun starting point.
If you are hunting an early october season, as you look on Google earth look for north facing dark timber with small springs.

Look on http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/ifwis/huntplanner/stats.aspx#elk to pick a unit. Don't just look study. My wife tells me I'm obsessed with harvest statistics and draw odds. I do a 5 and 8 year average of units a 5 year trend of draw odds, a two year trend of harvest.
I cross the harvest data with snow and weather data for the last few years. I do a few other things I will not mention. Then I stare at it for hours and hours.
While I don't think this is necessary to kill an elk I do think that if you're picking a unit that you will spend a lot of time in you should pick the best unit to start with then lace up the boots. I hope what I said makes sense.

My wife tells me I'm obsessed with harvest statistics and draw odds

I hear that.

Just the other day I explained with enthusiasm to my wife how I picked an out of state unit, I got a doe in headlights look and a nice smile but she does like my passion for it. Calculating the point levels of applicants for true odds not just # of applicants, cross referencing resident vs non resident demand, success %, avg hunt duration, age data, call in to the biologist along with fish and game objectives. And as you mentioned a few other things. Necessary no, but it makes me feel like I have a little orphan Annie decoder to beat the system.

Groc426- Looks like you're wasting no time getting out having fun and learning the land. Good for you man!

1_pointer magnificent picture! I've seen videos of their mating calls and its just cool to watch. Hope I can be lucky enough to run into one of these as grouse have always been special to me. They provided countless hours of entertainment for my brother and me when we were younger.

First off have you considered a controled cow tag? Its a fun starting point.

Elkmagnet, you're reading my mind! I have greatly considered putting in for a controlled cow hunt. I'm sincerely not concerned with a trophy animal (wife puts up with my shenanigans if I promise no dead animals on the walls), but just want the experience and meat! I'm planning on putting in for controlled cow, but if/when that falls through I'll try and let my scouting dictate what general tag I get.

If you are hunting an early october season, as you look on Google earth look for north facing dark timber with small springs.

Thank you for the tip! I assume they prefer to bed in this to be better hidden?

Look on http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/ifwis/huntplanner/stats.aspx#elk to pick a unit. Don't just look study. My wife tells me I'm obsessed with harvest statistics and draw odds. I do a 5 and 8 year average of units a 5 year trend of draw odds, a two year trend of harvest.
I cross the harvest data with snow and weather data for the last few years. I do a few other things I will not mention. Then I stare at it for hours and hours.
While I don't think this is necessary to kill an elk I do think that if you're picking a unit that you will spend a lot of time in you should pick the best unit to start with then lace up the boots. I hope what I said makes sense.

Thank you for the link, I have not seen this one before. I did average out drawing odds, but did not know they had harvesting info and ignorantly didn't consider weather stats. This will be a tremendous help. Seriously, thank you for your advice!

There sure is a lot more to it then piling in the truck and driving down the road until you see something :D It's great!!

Today I attempted to take a little drive in the back roads and try and hike up some hills, but the roads were closed. I assume it was for winter roads/snowmobilers and the county just hasn't taken them down yet. There is a lot of private property around these roads, so I also need to find names and phone numbers to see I can start getting permission to hunt on them. Well, time to start gathering some information from the link above and figuring out where a good place to start would be.

Quickly, there have been a couple people PM me with information and experiences. I just wanted to give them a quick thank you too! I have Google Earth marked with lots of places to go this summer.

Unfortunately, due to family matters the scouting trip in the Curlew valley was short lived. In the time I did go out I saw about 50 head of deer and a pheasant that attempted to attack us. It unfortunately was dusk and I wasn't able to get off any decent pictures. I did get some information about possible elk areas down there, so next time I make it out I'll be able to directly head there. Hopefully next week will prove to be more successful.

Back