Elk Sausage Weekend

SD_Prairie_Goat

Well decided this past weekend was a good weekend to process the very last of my meat from 2021. Last untouched meat was my cow elk.

I had about thirty pounds of meat so I decided to make three batches: cheddar brats, BBQ sticks, and pressed hamburgers.

I got beef brisket trimming from a friend in town, so I ended up making everything a little fattier than normal (80/20 elk to beef fat roughly). I used seasoning packets for everything, I learned a couple years ago I am unable to blend seasonings well enough and I should just buy bulk seasonings of flavors I like....

Thawing out:
67293151148__6ADC6A37-95C5-4F08-925D-9AC4EA1D8949.JPG
Brats all sealed up:
IMG_3919.JPG
Hamburgers waiting for packaging:
IMG_3922.JPG
67302954022__4B61634B-FABD-47E2-9CA4-C8BFB23C7F5E.JPG
Snack sticks in the oven (didn't smoke them this time. I added liquid smoke and just used the oven, cheating I know)
IMG_3935.JPG
Finished Snack Sticks
67312837904__3BF3265A-E1FB-4B5E-B326-39EB4BBBC8CC.JPG

Well decided this past weekend was a good weekend to process the very last of my meat from 2021. Last untouched meat was my cow elk.

I had about thirty pounds of meat so I decided to make three batches: cheddar brats, BBQ sticks, and pressed hamburgers.

I got beef brisket trimming from a friend in town, so I ended up making everything a little fattier than normal (80/20 elk to beef fat roughly). I used seasoning packets for everything, I learned a couple years ago I am unable to blend seasonings well enough and I should just buy bulk seasonings of flavors I like....

Thawing out:
View attachment 221202
Brats all sealed up:
View attachment 221203
Hamburgers waiting for packaging:
View attachment 221204
View attachment 221205
Snack sticks in the oven (didn't smoke them this time. I added liquid smoke and just used the oven, cheating I know)
View attachment 221207
Finished Snack Sticks
View attachment 221206
Looks good, meet processing and not a beer in sight?

How did you do the burger after you pattied them, freezer paper?

Last edited:
Looks good, meet processing and not a beer insight?

Haha! I don't drink so that's why no beer in sight! Plenty of Bubbly's though...

Yes/kind of, I press them with freezer paper, leave them in that paper, then vacuum seal them. A bit of over kill probably, but I like to vacuum seal all the meat I do lately.

Looks good, meet processing and not a beer insight?

I basically do the same thing when i make patties. I use the precut squares for my hand press, i stack them on a sheet pan and toss them in the freezer to get them partially frozen. Then i vac seal in bags. When i did mine raw without freezing i ran into issues with them sticking to each other when i wanted to grab on single patty. Results may be different when using the freezer paper vs the wax squares.

I basically do the same thing when i make patties. I use the precut squares for my hand press, i stack them on a sheet pan and toss them in the freezer to get them partially frozen. Then i vac seal in bags. When i did mine raw without freezing i ran into issues with them sticking to each other when i wanted to grab on single patty. Results may be different when using the freezer paper vs the wax squares.
Spot on. I used to have the wax squares, but they got tossed in the house fire apparently. So I ended up having to use freezer paper because that's what was on hand. Can't report on how they will break apart after the freezer yet. Hopefully they break apart easy enough.

Had a patty for lunch with some Montreal steak seasoning on it and cheddar cheese.... WOW, it was fantastic and it was just pan fried because I was lazy

Spot on. I used to have the wax squares, but they got tossed in the house fire apparently. So I ended up having to use freezer paper because that's what was on hand. Can't report on how they will break apart after the freezer yet. Hopefully they break apart easy enough.

Had a patty for lunch with some Montreal steak seasoning on it and cheddar cheese.... WOW, it was fantastic and it was just pan fried because I was lazy
I will sometimes mix in high temp cheese into mine as well cheddar or pepperjack. Ive even did 20% ground bacon ends and pieces i pick up for 1$ a pound. So good!

I will sometimes mix in high temp cheese into mine as well cheddar or pepperjack. Ive even did 20% ground bacon ends and pieces i pick up for 1$ a pound. So good!
Definitely did high temp cheese with the brats, pepperjack. Never done it with pattied burgers though. I'd rather throw a slice on top at the end I guess

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back