Yeti GOBOX Collection

Elk River, Minnesota

• Thread starter Deleted member 38069
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 38069

Fellow MN HTers,

My wife and I are pulling chalks and moving from Rochester to Elk River. Much better job market for me and we both grew up near by. Any insights, places to visit or good-to-knows, would be appreciated!

Boomer

I live just across the river from there. Cool little spot. If you have kids check out the surrounding school districts/etc. Good BBQ joint in Hanover. Cabelas in Rogers, but Scheels is just down the interstate in Eden Prairie of just up the interstate in St Cloud. If you have Christian beliefs I know of a great church. One of my best friends is a builder and real estate agent if you need any help on that front. Oh, and there is some pretty amazing waterfowl action ALL winter long along the Mississippi. I know you like to shoot them, but watching them buzz the river as the steam rolls off it is pretty cool as well.

Last edited:
I live just across the river from there. Cool little spot. If you have kids check out surrounding the school districts/etc. Good BBQ joint in Hanover. Cabelas in Rogers, but Scheels is just down the interstate in Eden Prairie of just up the interstate in St Cloud. If you have Christian beliefs I know of a great church. One of my best friends is a builder and real estate agent if you need any help on that front. Oh, and there is some pretty amazing waterfowl action ALL winter long along the Mississippi. I know you like to shoot them, but watching them buzz the river as the steam rolls off it is pretty cool as well.
Jackpot response!

I’m happy with what I heard about the school district!

Church, I’m all ears?!

Realtor is a unique situation, as I need a VA referred one.

Seeing waterfowl fly is a 1b to the 1a of hunting them!!

Thanks for the response!

I live 8 miles from elk river. A few items:

1. You're at the intersection of Sherburne, Hennepin, and Wright counties. Wright County has a little lower property tax rates than Sherburne and much lower than Hennepin.

2. There's a public park in elk river that has been turned into a mountain bike track. Woods and hills. I'm not a biker but it's permitted to walk too. I go during slow times and use it to train for elk hunting.

3. Have a great financial advisor, cpa, and a great network of others. Let me know if there's someone you want to meet.

4. Sounds like someone has you connected with a Bible- focused church. Let me know if you want more options.

5. The chairman of the school board is a hunter, business owner, former client, and a friend. Let me know if you'd like to be introduced.

Looks like my family and I will be relocating out of Minnesota in the next couple months for work as well. If you want to connect before we leave with other questions, message me and we can set something up.

It's a great area. Pray it's a blessing for you.

Elk River has a great football program where they run a very unique offense that is both fun and hard to watch. Very successful!

I'm just up the Mississippi a bit in Wright county. We go to elk river to eat frequently. I lived there for a while in my early years.

Some favorite eating spots:
1. Pompeii Pizzeria - awesome neopolitan style pizza.
2. Tipsy Chicken - possibly my favorite breakfast spot in MN and good lunch/dinner too. Service has declined a bit but the food is still awesome.

I assume access for waterfowl hunting is pretty competitive but there are lots of birds around. I was waterfowl obsessed as a resident or NR college student in ND for nearly a decade and got spoiled so I haven't bothered putting in the effort required around here. Don't have enough time for my whitetail ambitions as it is.

My old manager was a member there and I remember going there with him to shoot “long range” prior to an antelope hunt. He was an F class guy. 600 yds was quite humbling on that first outing.

I'm just up the Mississippi a bit in Wright county. We go to elk river to eat frequently. I lived there for a while in my early years.

Some favorite eating spots:
1. Pompeii Pizzeria - awesome neopolitan style pizza.
2. Tipsy Chicken - possibly my favorite breakfast spot in MN and good lunch/dinner too. Service has declined a bit but the food is still awesome.

I assume access for waterfowl hunting is pretty competitive but there are lots of birds around. I was waterfowl obsessed as a resident or NR college student in ND for nearly a decade and got spoiled so I haven't bothered putting in the effort required around here. Don't have enough time for my whitetail ambitions as it is.
I’m on the river between Otsego and Monticello. We’ve gotta be close to one another.

Not sure these days. A while back, you did not have to be a member.

Wild, I had no idea there were so many northwest metro HT posters on here. I grew up in Monticello and my parents live on the river in town still.

Some guys grind the river for ducks/geese and do okay but I've long given up on that, given up on getting permission to hunt fields as well. Very difficult to get access in that area but could probably be done if that's all you wanted to do. But at least in ER you can run out to western MN quicker for bird hunting than you can in Roch.

Not trying to be super negative, because the fishing from Clearwater to ER is pretty damn good. It's a nice area overall and you'll be in a good place to go up north or out west for the weekend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back