Yeti GOBOX Collection

Elk Rifle

I have a Remington 700 SPS in .300 WSM, that has been my "all-rounder" gun the last 4 years and I couldn't be happier. I shoot the 180 gr Barnes TSX bullets through it and it seems to like them. It has a Nikon BDC reticle scope on it, and I have been very happy with it.It's a great gun, and has let the air out of its fair share of antelope and elk.

That being said, I have plans to swap it for a Kimber Montana in .300 WSM this year. Two of my friends have the Montanas and the after a long day hiking the lighter rifle is much easier to pack around. The Montana also seems to do well in inclement weather. We got rained on so hard this year that water was running out the actions of the rifles. When I got home a few days later, my Remington was a mess, rust popping up everywhere, and I had to rip it completely apart to clean it. The Kimbers took a light cleaning and were good as new.

However, I was the only one to put an elk in the freezer this year out of the three of us, so the Remington got the job done, in the end.

Another vote for 300 Win. Have never had fun punching paper with it though. I never feel it once I am in the field and pull the trigger. But, I DO notice the weight after a long day.

Best if you can fondle and shoot first, whatever ever caliber you are looking at.

I use a 30-06 and a 338.

The 338 is a great round, but it's also in a 10 pound rifle. I can bench it for about 40 rounds before I start flinching using an x bag.

The biggest game changer is knowing your rifle and shooting it well. Don't sit at the bench to practice, use field positions and learn how to shoot w/o a rest.

Caliber is a personal preference. Use what you want. The 300's and the 338's are good guns. W/ new powders, you can come close to the mag velocities in standard chamberings now.

Everybody has made great points here. Kimbers been brought up a few times and at one point I really wanted one in 338 federal. Little recoil with good knock down out to 3 or 400 yards and LIGHT. Only problem with kimbers are there accuracy is questionable. I cant justify spending that much money on a gun and having a chance of shooting 3 inch groups.
As far as just keeping my 270 as my only gun, I could do that, but whats the fun in only having one gun? lol Ive pondered the thought of making it a light weight gun and accurizing it a bit but who knows. I can always do an easy rechamber since the savages are easy to do but im not sure I want to gut my very first gun into a custom. Thanks for the ideas so far fellas keep em comin

I like the 300 rum when i use a riffle, its' been over 10 years though. Go bow, more of a rush!

If you buy a kimber and it doesn't shoot - send it back and they will make it right. I've dealth with their CS folks for a few years for raffles and the guys and gals I've worked with will bend over backwards to make people happy, even cheap non-profits.

A kimber in 300 WSM is a solid rifle.

I bought a used Kimber in 300 Mag right around your spec'd pricepoint....zilch accuracy issues.

Ive pondered the thought of making it a light weight gun and accurizing it a bit but who knows. I can always do an easy rechamber since the savages are easy to do but im not sure I want to gut my very first gun into a custom.

A lightweight Salvage custom? Uh... sounds interesting.

Only problem with kimbers are there accuracy is questionable. I cant justify spending that much money on a gun and having a chance of shooting 3 inch groups

Says who? The "internet"? Everyone makes a dog now and then, can't paint with such a broad brush.

What about the safety issue with Salvages? They freezes up when it gets cold, I've seen it a couple times so they must all be the same? I'd sure hate for that to happen in bear country. Which would you rather have a rifle that 'might' shoot 3" groups or one you can't get to fire when you need it too?

What about the safety issue with Remingtons? They fail and people die "all the time".

I've seen quite a few Remintons fail to go off in sub zero conditions as well.

The point is, they all make quality products, pick the one you like the best and don't worry about the what ifs.

Personally I would take Buzz's advice and spend your money on something more useful. I've seen truckloads of elk killed with a 270, it works just fine, and isn't going to give you any better results than a 338. A bigger hole doesn't make em any more dead.

I think I have 9 big game rifles, the last 3 years 3 of them have seen action. I could get by with one rifle for everything.

Last edited:
338 edge is where I'm going look up ballistics. While I was up cda area learned a lot but its over the 800 bucks range

I cant justify spending that much money on a gun and having a chance of shooting 3 inch groups.

I'd have to agree with Ben on this one, if it doesn't shoot, take it back. And I hope you don't get too obsessed with super tight groups from the bench, whatever gun you end up getting.

IMHO, only shooting your rifle at the range under ideal conditions (like from a bench) is like only shooting your bow at the indoor range. It tends to inspire a little bit of false confidence. After some bench shooting this year, and consistently hitting the 400 yard gong, I went out antelope hunting a week later, and missed. At 150 yards. Lying prone. With a bipod. Why? I had just spent the last 30 minutes belly crawling up a hillside, and was winded and a little excited, a scenario I certainly didn't take the time to work through at the range.

The point I am trying to make is that, assuming your gun is reasonably accurate, it will probably be you that misses in the field, and not your rifle. (He said, speaking from painful experience)

In your quest for a new rifle, don't get too hung up on whether or not it will be fractionally more or less accurate from a bench.

Hard to beat 300WSM from Kimber. If you elk hunt some tough country like most guys on here, keep it light. My WSM is very light compared to some of my hunting buddies rifles. They pick mine up and don't want to give it back. Good luck.

I did alot of research on the kimbers when I wanted one and read several horror stories of terrible accuracy and customer service.

Yes I read them off the internet; theres not a whole lot else some one can do to research a rifle theyve never even held, none the less shot. Cant blame a guy for being influenced by stories like these, especially when spending that kind of change on a rifle.

Its good to hear you guys' are confident in them and I may have to take another look at them. Just would hate to pick up a gun for a grand and have it shoot worst groups than a "salvage" thats accustocked and shoots MOA for less, has nothing to do with its in the field accuracy and killing ability. Theyll both kill fine.

I practice a good bit and the only time I shoot off a bench is when I try a new round to see just what it can do.

Last edited:
It seems as though Kimber has fixed the problem. I haven't heard anyone who recently bought a Kimber complain.

Those bought a few years ago are a different story. My advice, if you're worried about the accuracy thing, would be to avoid used Kimbers.

Just would hate to pick up a gun for a grand and have it shoot worst groups than a "salvage" thats accustocked and shoots MOA for less, has nothing to do with its in the field accuracy and killing ability. Theyll both kill fine.

I'm with you, but I also subscribe to the adage that life is too short to hunt with an ugly rifle. :)

I'm with you, but I also subscribe to the adage that life is too short to hunt with an ugly rifle. :)
Don't worry, I'll still carry one in your presence. :)

A few years ago I put a 80 yard shot behind the shoulder on a bull with a 270 and a Nosler Partition. The bullet didn't exit and there wasn't a drop of blood on the tracks for 100 yards. Then the bull gave a big spurt of blood, and keeled over and died. If there hadn't been snow I would have had a hard time finding it. I have a friend who has shot and "missed" several elk with a 270. I'm sure he's actually hitting them but they just don't bleed much and he can't pick up the trail - especially if it is a cow in a group. So... buy an ugly '06 if you have too.

rg

I'll put one more vote for a 300 win mag. I was in a similar spot a few years back and went with the Tikka T3 Lite and love it. Synthetic and stainless and it handles rough weather and rough country. It loves Barnes and Hornady handloads and the action is buttery smooth. Good luck.

It seems as though Kimber has fixed the problem. I haven't heard anyone who recently bought a Kimber complain.

Those bought a few years ago are a different story. My advice, if you're worried about the accuracy thing, would be to avoid used Kimbers.

I won't say my Kimber Montana is crap, that wouldn't be polite. It's going back though. It refuses to feed a lead tipped bullet without jamming.
I'll never buy another one that's for darn sure.

Speaking from experience, I have an A bolt 300WM with the Boss system. Love the gun/caliber, however, if you hunt without ear protection, as I assume most do, that ported barrel will rock your world when it goes off. The muzzle blast is terrible and will leave your hearing impaired for while. Two years ago I hit a mulie a little far back and ended up sending 4 shots downrange in short succession. My hearing was impaired for several days. Research porting before jumping in for a hunting rifle gun.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jordanhronek
Back