MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Elk packouts

Three miles across and down a steep mountain face. Only about half of which had a small game trail to follow. Knees and hips were sore for several days after.

7 miles 3000' drop in wet nasty mudd under snow luckily had 1 buddy to help pack bull and camp out....never again (hopefully). I bet i fell 20+ times and took months for my legs to recover.

What's the farthest you have packed out an elk on foot one way with no pack animal help?
I used OnXmaps and the direct line tool to get real numbers. Obviously, you cannot pack them out in a straight line, and some of these distances were likely almost 2X that, sometimes even more I think.

Farthest I've ever packed an elk out entirely by myself was 2012, I made 2 terrible trips. All the meat was boned out and even all neck meat came out. No hide. It was exactly 5 miles from the trailhead I used, although there were shorter places to take it out, not easier. 3150' in elevation (from my camp to the truck) with having to take the elk "up" 1600' all off trail and lots of blowdown. I'm thinking this was likely +/- 9 miles one way, based on my route.

I've had many farther ones, but I had help on almost all of them. In 2000 I was 6.4 miles (direct line) and had a friend along, and another return with me to get the 2nd load of meat. It was easily over 10 miles one way. Same year I was with 3 friends - one shot a bull. It was 8.75 miles direct line from the trailhead. We got it out in 1 trip.

My first archery elk '1996 I was alone and first trip out was 6.6 miles as the crow flies. It was certainly more than double that based on the route I took. I had help the next day, including horses. Last 2 miles of my first trip out was without a light, which truly sucked.

My last bull in 2017 was only 1.4 miles from the truck. And I thought it was going to kill me the first night. It was likely about 2.5 miles one way by the route I took. I had help with the second trip.

Some better ones 2013, 370 P&Y 950 yards one way to the road. 2014, 347 P&Y - 110 yards from the road... now those are numbers I like.

How feasible would it be to use a cart such as the hawk crawler ?
Nice looking cart. There are places carts work and places they wouldn’t go 50 feet in the entire trip out, it just depends. Of the last 3 elk I was involved in packing out, a cart would have worked in one, possibly in another if we were willing to unload and load a few times and one it would not have gone that 50 feet I mentioned.
If I had the room for a cart maybe I would bring one along but I always bring my “Alaska frame pack” type pack with me. Mine has packed a fair amount of meat over the years.
I ordered a roll up sled that someone mentioned on the forum here recently for my CO hunt this year. Not much money, easy to store and who knows maybe it will come in handy...

Last edited:
I like talking to guys about pack outs... then take then hunting the next year. You get to really know what there mile is, compared to yours.

Last year my bull took 4 hrs to go down to the kill sight from the top of the ridge, then from the kill site back up to the top of the ridge... 1k vert. feet and thru the steepest, most deadfall ive ever hunted in.. once at the top of the ridge. We were still 7 miles from the truck, but with horses.

Back