Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Elk Only

Muley_Stalker

As some of you know i'm old and have so many medical problems that I lose track myself of all of them. It's a long list. No whining but a fact to help you understand my decision.

For the 1st draw I wasn't sure i'd have help with getting the meat out and didn't put in for an elk tag. Elk are my passion and I prefer to hunt them over all other game and for sure I prefer the meat over any other meat.

So, I put in for just a muzzleloader muley buck tag and got it. I wasn't sure I could get a deer skinned ,quartered, and hauled out either but I had a better chance than elk. As time went by I realized i'd have a hard time get a deer out too. That changed lately to i'll never get it out. By Sept my condition will be worse and my odds of doing any hunt outside of squirrels by myself are gone.

Then I had a long talk with my Lakota friend. He's as strong as a bull and convinced me he would be with me on an elk hunt. I will give him half the meat and that really appeals to him. It's the only meat he's interested in and won't help with a deer hunt. I'm ok with that. It's his choice and i'd always prefer to hunt elk too.

So, here I am with no elk tag. The unit I want to hunt has 3 tags available for muzzy season. One of my disabilities involves recoil. Too hard and breaking a bone is possible. I won't bore you why. An elk load in the muzzleloader will hit much harder than a deer load. I have another option. There's 4 tags available in bow season. I'm way past pulling my longbow but I have a disability license to use a crossbow in archery season. No recoil is really appealing. Plus, it will more than enough power for elk and I can also use a scope. Which takes care of my failing vision. I won't buy a crossbow until I see if I get a tag. I have 1 point that won't be used this year, so I know I can get the archery tag in 2022.

The great thing about the archery tag is it's a 30 day hunt instead of 9 days for the muzzleloader. It's also either sex with the muzzleloader being one or the other. Also, no blaze orange for archery.

All my eggs are in one basket this year. Get the bow elk tag or i'm not hunting. Fingers are crossed. Muzzleloader is for sale.

If you read this whole post thanks. It was long winded to not say much. :)

Glad to hear that you found someone that is willing to help you and extend your hunting season at least one more year. My dad is in the same Type of situation has a ton of health issues and over the last few years the distance he can go from the truck is less, I still dedicate about half of the time I hunt in California taking him and spending time with him close to the roads and making sure he’s ok. And being there in the event a dumb buck steps out to help him get it back, and I wouldn’t change it for anything. I’m dreading the year he can’t manage to even do that anymore.

Glad to hear that you found someone that is willing to help you and extend your hunting season at least one more year. My dad is in the same Type of situation has a ton of health issues and over the last few years the distance he can go from the truck is less, I still dedicate about half of the time I hunt in California taking him and spending time with him close to the roads and making sure he’s ok. And being there in the event a dumb buck steps out to help him get it back, and I wouldn’t change it for anything. I’m dreading the year he can’t manage to even do that anymore.

Good for you for helping him. The time you spend with him will always be a good memory for you and him

It’s rather interesting to me to compare this post with your sanctimonious approach to a guy asking questions to learn the patterns of animals in his hunt area. To each their own.

It’s rather interesting to me to compare this post with your sanctimonious approach to a guy asking questions to learn the patterns of animals in his hunt area. To each their own.
Did I ask for help on where to hunt?

Actually, I didn't ask for help with the meat. My friend had to do a lot of convincing to make me accept his offer. My problem is medical. What you're talking about is a young healthy hunter asking where to hunt. You don't see a difference? Would you be happier if i told my friend no and quit hunting? That would be really hard after doing it for almost 7 decades. I feel this is my last option.

We all hope for wisdom, clarity and compassion as we age. Some come by it naturally, some never get it some only through an epiphany. 😉

Did I ask for help on where to hunt?

Actually, I didn't ask for help with the meat. My friend had to do a lot of convincing to make me accept his offer. My problem is medical. What you're talking about is a young healthy hunter asking where to hunt. You don't see a difference? Would you be happier if i told my friend no and quit hunting? That would be really hard after doing it for almost 7 decades. I feel this is my last option.
Whether or not you hunt has absolutely no bearing on my happiness. I don’t care what you do or don’t do. Just pointing out the contradictions. If you don’t see them, well bless your heart.

If you can't see the difference in help with the hunt and help with the meat well......

I should have known to not start a thread like this. I'm done.

Thanks to everybody else.

I always thought packing out the meat was part of the hunt as well. I have absolutely no issue with someone asking for and/or accepting help as part of their hunt. Living in glass houses makes for a hard life. Best of luck in your endeavors.

I always thought packing out the meat was part of the hunt as well. I have absolutely no issue with someone asking for and/or accepting help as part of their hunt. Living in glass houses makes for a hard life. Best of luck in your endeavors.
Lets look at the difference. With the hunter you're talking about. If he fails in his hunt because nobody helped him find game. He just doesn't get a kill unless he figures out how to hunt on his own.

In my case if I refuse help to get meat out like i've done the last 5 years. What happens? I shoot an elk because I don't need help for that part of the hunt. However, I fail at getting the meat out or even skinned and quartered. What happens then? First i'd feel horrible and second I could and should be charged a felony for not getting the meat out.

It's all the same thing for you? Thanks for crapping up my thread.

Mods..........Would you please delete this thread. Thanks.

you? Thanks for crapping up my thread.
Says you who crapped on the other dude’s thread. Like I said, I’ve got no issue whatsoever with you accepting help to get your elk out. So whatever. It is what it is, we’ll agree to disagree

Says you who crapped on the other dude’s thread. Like I said, I’ve got no issue whatsoever with you accepting help to get your elk out. So whatever. It is what it is, we’ll agree to disagree
No, you crapped up that one too by making a big deal out of me having an opinion. I was done after my first post in that thread.

I changed my plans. I changed my 2nd draw pick to muzzleloader. Even though there's only 3 muzzy tags in the 2nd draw and 4 tags in archery. There's twice as many hunters who didn't get the archery tag than muzzleloaders. In a random draw I need to keep the odds as good as I can get them.

I'll deal with the recoil when the time comes but first I need the elk tag. Plus, I won't have to lose money selling the muzzleloader and buying a crossbow. They're expensive for a good one.

Muzzy will be a cow but that's fine. A tasty cow works for me. It's hunting and good meat.

JLS........When I step back and look at what I said and you're right. I need to keep my mouth shut about how someone else hunts. I think i'm doing some good by getting a hunter to do more of the hunt but it never comes off like that. It's better for me to not say anything and let others do as they please. It won't happen again.

Carry on.

Hey you guys, play nice!
I and I'm sure many can relate. My back is definitely not getting better every year.
Glad to hear you found help.

Good luck Muley stalker hope you get your tag and your health allows for you to enjoy your hunt. No one ever knows how many moments, hunts family get togethers we get. My father had always talked about hunting elk together but never made it happen. Cancer took him last year and I look at the last couple years and kick myself in the ass for not just doing it. Always just talking about how great it would be. No regrets, do as much as you can whenever you can and savor every second of it. Truly sir wish you the best hope you get out there.

How can the number of tags change in the 2nd draw? I thought those numbers were locked in?

Archery was 4 tags when I applied. Now it's 3 tags.

Muzzleloader was 3 tags and now it's 2 tags.

Nobody is concerns that the tag you put in for in the 2nd draw are changing before the draw? Didn't you put in for a unit depending on how many tags were available?

Check list for mine and nothing has changed. No real chance of me drawing it so not stressing.

Back