Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Elk Massacre near Hwy.89 between Rawling and White Sulpher Springs

I can’t even fathom 100 people in one spot. I don’t know why more weren’t cited for trespassing since I’m sure they all didn’t sign in.
With that much chaos and only 1 or 2 wardens it’s about triaging the situation. A trespassing violation when there are hundreds of folks trying to skedadle out of there is probably at the bottom of their priorities.

While I don’t condone this behavior, I find it odd that it’s so taboo and unsportsmanlike. Native Americans used to run herds of buffalo off cliffs as a preferred hunting method. Pretty sure there were more than a few that were mangled up hobbeling away after the fall. This in comparison is quite mild to the days of old. #Chugwater

While I don’t condone this behavior, I find it odd that it’s so taboo and unsportsmanlike. Native Americans used to run herds of buffalo off cliffs as a preferred hunting method. Pretty sure there were more than a few that were mangled up hobbeling away after the fall. This in comparison is quite mild to the days of old. #Chugwater

If Native Americans were doing buffalo jumps today I would condemn them as well.

I just can’t image there were actually 100 hunters involved. I’ve seen some real shit shows on the winter range here, but never seen more that 15-20 hunters. It’s a dangerous situation when people are shooting from both sides of the herd. That’s reason enough for me to stay away.

Yup and I bet a lot of 'em are real proud of getting their elk. Only thing that's ever gonna stop this is someone's gonna have to get killed or get one of these goatf%$ks on video and show the public.

There was a bad shoot out a few years ago on another BMA in the area. A client and I watched about 50-70 guys shoot and chase these elk in pick ups for about an hour and a half across a few sections of wheat. Eventually, the bull broke off from the herd, made it to the ranch we were hunting and walked up the drainage past us at about 250yds. Client said he couldn't bring himself to shoot that bull after watching what had just happened.

I find myself rooting for the elk more often than not now.

Probably a good thing they weren't bow hunters! 😈 I don't care, that's just wrong. I can just imagine the fighting over who shot what.

Not a fair comparison. The tribes very survival was reliant on the food they could kill. Nothing really sporty about it when its a life or death situation. Comparing it to these yahoos isn't fair.

Not a fair comparison. The tribes very survival was reliant on the food they could kill. Nothing really sporty about it when its a life or death situation. Comparing it to these yahoos isn't fair.
Assuming everyone there that day was a yahoo isn’t fair either. I wasn’t there and I’m not a judge, I will leave it up to the actual judges that get to process the violations.

As far as comparing the two, I will concede.

Back to elk “massacre” A group with some bad apples who were ticketed killed a group of elk in a area where it was legal to do so. Lots of legal hunters shot a pile of elk and were not ticketed.

Albeit not my style of hunting, I’m not going to get on the ethics soap box and condemn it as so many did before the whole story was even out.

I don't care, that's just wrong. I can just imagine the fighting over who shot what.
Pretty sure there is a drainage N of Yellowstone that is traditionally done in when it snows. It’s only wrong to those who oppose it, not to the locals and outfitters that participate in it every time.

Last edited:
20 years ago I did a ride along with some wardens when I was in college. Different state, similar ordeal, albeit a little smaller scale, but when it was all said and done we picked up more unclaimed dead elk than were tagged. We followed several more blood trails up over the next ridge before we turned back.

Elk make people absolutely lose their minds. I don’t get it.

And here I sit in Helena poiring over maps trying to find places to go... was thinking of that general area since block management looked decent. Maybe in 5-10 more years I’ll have this area figured out enough to fill the freezer!

I just can’t image there were actually 100 hunters involved. I’ve seen some real shit shows on the winter range here, but never seen more that 15-20 hunters. It’s a dangerous situation when people are shooting from both sides of the herd. That’s reason enough for me to stay away.
This block management isn't far from white Sulpher, which probably has every hotel booked with hunters right now. I've seen something like this happen closer to white Sulphur on state land where lots of people were waiting for the elk to get onto the state piece. Really not that far from Livingston either. And I've seen the same thing go down south of there. 20 or so vehicles lined up waiting for elk to come out. 2 or 3 hunters per vehicle = upwards of 60 people. So 100 isn't stretching the realm of possibility to much.

Word spreads fast. If people know they are there before the sun comes up, everyone in town is going to know it.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back