Elk Hunting Tips, Colorado

SD_Prairie_Goat

New to the forum, so be nice!

I have hunted in South Dakota since graduating from College and moving from Alaska. I have always wanted to hunt Bison here in SD, but it is really cost prohibitive ($5k+ just for the tag).

To scratch my big game itch, I have decided to go to Colorado this fall and chase rifle elk.

I have looked at all the different information available, and ultimately I am leaning toward hunting GMU 371, just north of Silverthorne. Now I am not asking anyone about their honeyhole in this unit, all I would like to know is: Am I wasting my time here? I think it looks like a good unit to hunt, but searching around seems like other forums indicate it may not be a good option.

I'm open to opinions here, if the unit is no good I'll look elsewhere. I'm not looking for a monster elk, I really just want to see elk and learn how to hunt them...

Thanks in advance everyone.

Welcome to the forum, you aren't likely to get unit specific information on the open forum.

Not sure what your over all hunting experience is but, that unit is close to a major metro area, only has few trail-heads, is primarily dark timber, and is at a high elevation, which can make for lots of hunters and some crappy camping.

Elk there is zero experience to be honest. I guess all I'm really looking for is a simple "I'd look elsewhere if I were you" kind of hint.

I know no one likes to give away their secret spot, but I have hunted areas that if someone were to randomly ask me if they should hunt there, I would recommend not unless there is no other option. Does that make sense?

Here is a link to the hunting statistics from CPW:

I have never hunted the unit, but I am actually sitting in it right now...Terrain is steep and its high elevation. Its a lot of dark timber to be sure. For spot and stalk it seems like it would be tough. Across the Blue River is GMU 28 or 37, I can't quite remember, but its more open overall. The whole area will probably have lots of hunters. It tends to be a go-to for people coming up from Denver. May I ask what drew you to this unit?

Guy I work with lives in Keystone, so we were looking somewhere close, but after hearing what most people are saying, were going to look further away from Denver. Not sure which unit yet, just further away...

backpacked plenty in the summer time in 371.... I wouldn't try to hunt elk there personally. Beautiful country though, good place for alpine flly fishin.

I have never hunted the unit, but I am actually sitting in it right now...Terrain is steep and its high elevation. Its a lot of dark timber to be sure. For spot and stalk it seems like it would be tough. Across the Blue River is GMU 28 or 37, I can't quite remember, but its more open overall. The whole area will probably have lots of hunters. It tends to be a go-to for people coming up from Denver. May I ask what drew you to this unit?

Careful in 28, I was in the Williams Fork during muzzy and had a dude come racing into my cow call at first light gun pointed at my chest without a stitch of blaze orange on. That would not be my pick for an elk hunt.

Last edited:
Guy I work with lives in Keystone, so we were looking somewhere close, but after hearing what most people are saying, were going to look further away from Denver. Not sure which unit yet, just further away...

I would say that's a good call. That 371 area and the group of units around it get hit pretty hard from people that live in Denver. If you have time to get further away from the front range I would do so.

New to the forum, so be nice!

I have hunted in South Dakota since graduating from College and moving from Alaska. I have always wanted to hunt Bison here in SD, but it is really cost prohibitive ($5k+ just for the tag).

To scratch my big game itch, I have decided to go to Colorado this fall and chase rifle elk.

I have looked at all the different information available, and ultimately I am leaning toward hunting GMU 371, just north of Silverthorne. Now I am not asking anyone about their honeyhole in this unit, all I would like to know is: Am I wasting my time here? I think it looks like a good unit to hunt, but searching around seems like other forums indicate it may not be a good option.

I'm open to opinions here, if the unit is no good I'll look elsewhere. I'm not looking for a monster elk, I really just want to see elk and learn how to hunt them...

Thanks in advance everyone.
I have never hunted nor would I unit 371. I have hiked it several times. PM me if your still interested in the unit. Elk can be found there.

Watch every Randy Newberg video you can and you will be fine. No joke. Will take years off your learning curve.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back