Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Elk hunting in lion country

This was only my second time out west so didn’t know how rare it was to see one up close. It came down to water on small water hole I was hunting. I thought it ran off but it decided to back off and hunt the same water hole that I was. It ended up running past me at full speed chasing a mule deer doe. I figure a 10lb. house cat could pretty much whoop your ass, I could only imagine what one these could do to you. It was an a really cool experience for flatlander that hunts small Midwest wood plots surrounded by ag. Fields. I also got to see a sow bear and her 2 cubs. I never figured out how to find elk but it was a great adventure.

I recreate in a really high density lion area. I glass a handful a year, and usually see one or two more a year in the headlights driving in and out. Hunting in regions 1 and 2 in Montana, it's just part of every day life and something I don't put much thought in to anymore. I've only had a couple encounters under 50 yards or so, and only twice did the lion not bust out of there right now. Both those times they did stick around, I never felt the least bit worried. I just really don't feel like they're an animal worth fretting over. The drive to and from your hunt is much more dangerous than a lion encounter.

20160927_185555.jpg

Last edited:
I see a lot of tracks, but have only seen actual cats a couple of times. They don't even make the list of "safety concerns" for me while hunting.

We have some cats running around here but I never see em. I would actually love to run into one. A Texas lion is on my list and we can legally take one any time, no tag required.

If anything consider yourself lucky you saw one! I have lived in Wyoming 33 years and have only ever seen one once in the wild, ironically while elk hunting this year. We got about 20 feet from it and I was snapping pictures like a damn tourist.

Attachments

• 20181111_093804.jpg
    20181111_093804.jpg
    1,018.9 KB · Views: 24
My cousin had an encounter when elk hunting. He was walking up the mountain in the dark one morning and caught movement feet from him. He turned on his headlight to see the end of the cat's tail slink behind some brush. He figured it had heard him coming and was waiting in an ambush, but then decided against it once he was close. It scared the crap out of him, but he was fine. At least with a cat, a man could possible fight it off. However, you'd likely be starting the fight once it's already on your back. Cats make me nervous, even house cats. They're a very impressive animal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back