Caribou Gear Tarp

Elk Huntin the Snowy's

257 Wby Mag

Hey guys, been banking elk points for quite a few years, been thinkin about puttin in for the snowy's. Anybody ever draw before? Whatda think? Would you go early or late? I've killed several elk, mostly Rosies with rifle, bow, and muzzleloader, so I'm not a greenhorn. "no offense Kurt" laffin.. Anyhow, I figured this would be a good start with all you Montucky guys. PM's would be fine. Thanks in advance. Later

Here is how you answer this question in Colorado vernacular.

It sucks. CWD had decimated the bull numbers. That, along with blue tongue, poaching, and 220 consecutive harsh winters have reduced the population to a fraction of what it was. FWP is contemplating closing season for lack of elk. Wolves are there in huge numbers, in spite of only a few sightings. The hunting pressure is so immense that you should wear orange underwear in addition to the required orange vest. The meat of elk in that area is stricken with trichinosis, scurvy, rickets, and maladies yet identified by modern science.

In spite of all of that, only 1 in 6 of residents draw a tag when they apply. And, quite a few do apply.

In Montana vernacular, we would say - It can be good if you have access. Access will be your hardest struggle. Better units do exist, but there are also worse units. Good luck if you draw.

Thanks for the reply Randy, thats what I wanna stay away from, like to do it without a guide, or a tresspass fee. I figured there was ample ground on the forest service/BLM ground...

Hey man!! Ya, we'll be over again, love it over there. Can't hardly hunt around here anymore after spendin a few seasons over there. You still goin to school? I need to swing up and talk to that ol gristle Doug, he's a dandy! Talk to ya later

Hey man!! Ya, we'll be over again, love it over there. Can't hardly hunt around here anymore after spendin a few seasons over there. You still goin to school? I need to swing up and talk to that ol gristle Doug, he's a dandy! Talk to ya later

If you talk to doug talk him and my pops into coming out here! They both have the money there just old and stubborn as hell haha Yah im still goin to school here in billings. I know what you mean though, I hunted 8 days total on winter break and never got a decent shot at even a doe. Poaching seems to be taking its tole around the steam plant out of bakota. Saw some nice bucks but they were really skiddish and no where close enough to get a shot at with a bow. PM me with the dates you plan on come over if you draw. Take care.
Jon

I hope you draw so I can hear about your hunt.I put in for archery last year but didn't draw.I'll try again next season.Fortunately for me, one of those terrible outfitters out there has offered to get me thru some private to access the place;for free!!!!Hoping the offer still stands for next season.Good luck in the draw

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back