elk hunt

Welcome to the site from a fellow Texan. Went on my first drop camp hunt in Colorado and it was an awesome experience. As far as which unit is the best, I can't help you. It will take a lot of computer screen time and it depends on what type of hunt you want. I know it's archery but do you want a trophy or meat. Go to the CDW website, there is a wealth of information there. Best of luck to ya.

All I can say is get away from the roads and get off the 4 wheeler, and you might see elk, good luck

Best as far as numbers? Success rate? Trophy elk? OTC only? Lots of ways to define "the best"...

Take a look at units in the White River National Forest if you want opportunities. Largest elk herd in the country.

Wayne- I am by no means an expert nor do I have the experience that most do on this fine site. Two years ago I did a DIY archery hunt into the San Juans near Piedra Creek. Very steep country but we did manage to get into elk 3 of the 5 days we were hunting. By 'into' I mean bow range - we saw elk through the spotter every day but some were inaccessible. Saw two other hunters in the entire week, oddly enough both were from within 100 miles of where I live in Ohio.

This past year we did DIY again in Unit 15 - saw decent amount of elk, only one other hunter, and actually managed to go two for two on bulls.

I prefer non motorized areas that rewards guys who are a bit tougher in my book and leave the atv at home. Start with deciding what kind of hunt you want and then break down the units from there.

Good luck

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back