Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Elk Hunt Unit 1 Arizona

OkBuckMaster

Has anyone in here ever hunted Unit 1 Elk in Arizona? Going out there in a month for an Archery Elk hunt. Any advice? When does the rut usually hit there?

Awesome advice. Thanks!
What kind of advice? Unit 1 archery isn’t really an “I need advice” hunt. Tons of elk and they bugle well, have a great time

Also, as a relatively new member, this type of post irks the folks who have been here a long time and seen hundreds of people go through and do exactly what you just did. That’s why you will get that type of reaction. Likely to see some “welcome to hunttalk” as well.

Your best bet is to do some research, come up with your own ideas and then maybe request to bounce some questions off of someone experienced via PM. Best of luck on the hunt.

Should be awesome, have fun.

My advice would be to enjoy every moment, that’s a hunt many will never get the opportunity to experience.

Also, shoot within your abilities and don’t wound a bull.

Elk are all over so are the people. One of the better hunts in the state. Hunt harder, locate bulls at night.

I have killed several bulls on the unit 1 archery hunt. My experience was the later, the better. I have been hiking in unit 1 and 27 this past week and it is very wet and green. The elk seem to be dispersed because of this. Congratulations on getting my tag, you should have a great hunt!

Shoot the first spike that gives you a chance. Better eating than a mature bull

I believe all the Apache hunts(member and non member) were shut down last year...

Has anyone in here ever hunted Unit 1 Elk in Arizona? Going out there in a month for an Archery Elk hunt. Any advice? When does the rut usually hit there?
Don’t call as much as you think you should. There are roads every where and you’ll have recreational callers which make the elk call shy. Best rut is usually around the 20th. Give or take a few days. Have fun

This waterhole was in unit 1 not far from the reservation boundary. We listened for bugles before daylight and followed the closest sounding ones. They were everywhere.
The meadow is not far from Big Lake and had bulls chasing cows every morning we went there.
Please report back and let us know how your hunt goes.
Good luck to you. (y)
0912150615-00.jpg
You should not have any trouble finding bulls to chase.

0915151056-00.jpg

This waterhole was in unit 1 not far from the reservation boundary. We listened for bugles before daylight and followed the closest sounding ones. They were everywhere.
The meadow is not far from Big Lake and had bulls chasing cows every morning we went there.
Please report back and let us know how your hunt goes.
Good luck to you. (y)
View attachment 191173
You should not have any trouble finding bulls to chase.

View attachment 191172
Thank you! I’m excited and getting prepared.

Here’s my Unit 1 bull. Shot him Saturday afternoon at 120 PM. Spot and stalk worked perfectly. 13 yard shot from above him. Then got a follow up shot on him at 32 yards to finish him off. Seen ALOT of bigger bulls and a couple of 390-400+ inch bulls. It was definitely an experience! Nothing is gonna top this experience. Got in the middle of a rut party and wasn’t able to seal the deal. To many eyes. F2EBC13B-B7AA-4A9B-B89C-FACEB4D93EEA.jpeg

Here’s my Unit 1 bull. Shot him Saturday afternoon at 120 PM. Spot and stalk worked perfectly. 13 yard shot from above him. Then got a follow up shot on him at 32 yards to finish him off. Seen ALOT of bigger bulls and a couple of 390-400+ inch bulls. It was definitely an experience! Nothing is gonna top this experience. Got in the middle of a rut party and wasn’t able to seal the deal. To many eyes. View attachment 195057
Congrats sir!!! That’s a great bull. Sounds like you had a great trip.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back