Elk equipment questions!!!!!

schmalts

I am looking into a LED flashlight for elk hunting spike camps. I want a headlamp model but want some input if you like yours, is it bright enough to cape and hike, battery life.
Looking at the photon fusion, streamlight, pelican.

I'll be getting one, I think it's a Petzl, that has the option for both LED and incandescent. Best of both.

I'm with 1-pointer... the "Petzl".

Jsut the inside scoop, thats what W.W. and Greny use too
wink.gif

the battery lasts the Whole season.... I only have the LED modle.. No use for the regular light.. Burns WAY WAY too much battery life.... WAY WAY to much. Your eyes adjust quickly and you don't need to see to far out..... Unless you're scared of the boogy man
wink.gif

Look at Black Diamond. Led and some other type with a fancy name I can't spell.

Black Diamond makes stuff for the mountain climbing crowd.

I used it this last fall on an elk and deer hunt in Colorado and thought it was great.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Moosie:
I'm with 1-pointer... the "Petzl".

Jsut the inside scoop, thats what W.W. and Greny use too
wink.gif

the battery lasts the Whole season.... I only have the LED modle.. No use for the regular light.. Burns WAY WAY too much battery life.... WAY WAY to much. Your eyes adjust quickly and you don't need to see to far out..... Unless you're scared of the boogy man
wink.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Do yo use the petzl model "tikka"? if so is the light bright enough for caping in the dark?

I lloked at the Tikka from petzl but it does not say its waterproof. There is one similar by a different company that is. I thing the company was princeton tec. I also looked at the Matrix, that had both LED and a bulb. WW and Greeny, do you have the duel bulb/led models, do you use the bulb at all? I only looked at them on the web, not in person yet so its hard to get a feel for the size and brightness. I may stop at REI tonite
Its time to retire the little Doctor optic light i had for 5 years. You can really light up the night with it but its a battery hog

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 02-14-2003 11:47: Message edited by: schmalts ]</font>

Schmalts,

I have the Tikka from petzl and I love it. I have bought them for my guides and friends and they all like them. The batteries last for ever! I don't think they are waterproof, but I have never had a problem with moisture effecting them. About the only problem I have had at all is with the switch on one. I just took it back and they replaced it free of charge.

They don't put out a huge amount of light, but it is usually plenty.

Well i stopped at REI on the way home and spent some time in the bathroom with the lights off
hump.gif
hump.gif
Checking some headlight that is! Anyway, if you guys like the Tikka, you will really love what i got. its made by princeton tech, is the same size and brightness as the tikka, but has a nice pushbutton swithch that makes this thing do 3 levels of intensity, and 2 strobe flashes (not that it needs strobe) and its Waterproof.
The best thing is its tiltable for aiming. It has the same 3 led's, and uses the same batteries. And is the same size and design. I guess it will be outdone by another company in a year too but its definitly a step up from the tikka for the same $.
The price was the same for more product features. I found if you really want to see an AWSOME comapison chart of all makes, Go to REI's website. Look in camping/hiking, click on lighting, click on headlights, open One of the petzl models (some other brands bring up wrong chart)and click on comparison chart. It breaks them all down into candlepower, battery life at both 70 and 0 degrees (a few errors in numbers i found), and size and poundage. real handy time saver for comparison.
The one i got was the Princeton tec aurora. I took a few in the shitter and turned off the lights and decided that the ones that had both halogen and led were real nice but the size was not worth the exta lite. If i was to get a second choice the Photon Fusion was pretty cool but the price was twice as much. But it was a lot brighter.
Thanks for all the recommendations, it swayed me to the LED only models

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 02-14-2003 15:58: Message edited by: schmalts ]</font>

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back