Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Elk Drop Camps

OkBuckMaster

Does anyone have any experience with Elk Drop camps with an Outfitter? If so, what are the pros and cons to doing these kinds of hunts? Looking for recommendations on outfitters that you have used and if you have them, success photos. This will be my first elk hunt unless I get drawn for Idaho today. Mainly looking for advice and recommendations on prior outfitters.

I mean… you could google it and check out some reviews. Hard to go off of with no location or details provided.

Tons of outfits like that in idaho and Colorado. for ease of getting a tag I would think idaho or Colorado would be your best bet. A lot of outfitters provide contact info from past clients, try and give some of them a call and see what their experience was like.

Tons of outfits like that in idaho and Colorado. for ease of getting a tag I would think idaho or Colorado would be your best bet. A lot of outfitters provide contact info from past clients, try and give some of them a call and see what their experience was like.
I dunno… been seeing A LOT of wolf and Sasquatch sign out here this year… might be a bad year for nonresidents

Unless you already know the country, it is hard to do a drop camp as your first exposure to a hunting area. I think the ideal thing to do is hunt the area with the Outfitter for a year or two. Once you figure out the country then go to a drop camp to hunt it on your own. Of course this is best for easily attainable tags.

If it is a draw situation where there is less than a 30% draw chance you would be best suited to scout it in the summer and see if there is an outfitter who would do a gear drop or has a setup camp you could rent near the areas you intend to hunt.

Idaho has EXCLUSIVE hunting areas so there is no overlap between outfitters during hunting season. If you don't like the outfitter in your area you are out of luck.
NM and NV are less rigid about guiding areas. You may see multiple guides in the same general area, or using the same trailhead. They usually will limit what units they guide in.

Wyoming also has geographic boundaries on outfitter areas. Be aware Drop camps for non residents in wilderness is prohibited unless you have a resident accompanying you.

CO I'm not sure about.

AZ, everyone is a freaking "guide" but I seldom hear of drop camps...

Does anyone have any experience with Elk Drop camps with an Outfitter? If so, what are the pros and cons to doing these kinds of hunts? Looking for recommendations on outfitters that you have used and if you have them, success photos. This will be my first elk hunt unless I get drawn for Idaho today. Mainly looking for advice and recommendations on prior outfitters.
Here's my two cents worth.
One thing about drop camps, and sometimes even guided hunts is this. Let's say you're booking a hunt a bit later in the season. Be aware that an Outfitter may have had 3 other groups shuttled in and out of that camp prior to your turn there. How do you know what all has gone on there prior to your turn? Has that area been pounded by 12-20 other clients already? Have they taken some of the Elk to lower your odds now? Have they spooked all the game out that drainage, and they're hip to that camps location? They don't get big by being stupid.
Having said all this, I also know that a game-less area today, can have a herd moved in there tomorrow from maybe being spooked there from an adjoining area. However you're relying a lot on luck and timing to being able to find them with your time running out. Of course, that's a hunters situation most anytime.
Not all Outfitted situations are as I'm describing, but I've talked to Outfitted clients in my area that paid good money to be taken to a Drop Camp, and no one in camp has even seen an Elk, much less a nice Bull.
Before I booked a hunt, I'd want to be talking to past clients that hunted out of the same camp you're booking to see what their experience was. Both in the game seen, the description of the area, and the amenities and service from the Outfitter. You have nothing to lose doing your homework.

Back