MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Elk Cam Pics 2022

Thegreatwapiti

I am heading up the mountain on Thursday for scouting trip #1 of 2022. I spent some time today inventorying the trailcam system. I am bringing up 5 cams, 40 batteries, and 5 SD cards. The plan is to set up a "line" from South to North of a couple of miles. That way I can be efficient and run the same line each time. I will probably check the cards and change the batteries twice in July and twice in August. I will post pictures throughout. Can't wait to see others!

Attachments

• 20220626_152404.jpg
    20220626_152404.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 47
I am heading up the mountain on Thursday for scouting trip #1 of 2022. I spent some time today inventorying the trailcam system. I am bringing up 5 cams, 40 batteries, and 5 SD cards. The plan is to set up a "line" from South to North of a couple of miles. That way I can be efficient and run the same line each time. I will probably check the cards and change the batteries twice in July and twice in August. I will post pictures throughout. Can't wait to see others!
Are you scouting to find a particular bull to focus on or is this area new and you are just trying to get a feel for what is in there? Since you plan to check these cameras often, I would use the video setting on your camera and get some short video clips - those are always more interesting and informative than still photos and you can always clip a screen shot from the video. Also I recommend taking a SD card reader of some kind that hooks up to your phone if the camera itself doesn't have an onboard screen. It's always better to find out that the camera isn't working right while you are standing next to it rather than finding out at home. You probably already know all this but just some words of wisdom. Good luck with the scouting and have fun.

Are you scouting to find a particular bull to focus on or is this area new and you are just trying to get a feel for what is in there? Since you plan to check these cameras often, I would use the video setting on your camera and get some short video clips - those are always more interesting and informative than still photos and you can always clip a screen shot from the video. Also I recommend taking a SD card reader of some kind that hooks up to your phone if the camera itself doesn't have an onboard screen. It's always better to find out that the camera isn't working right while you are standing next to it rather than finding out at home. You probably already know all this but just some words of wisdom. Good luck with the scouting and have fun.
For what it's worth I've had trouble in the past viewing video thru a phone card reader but pics come through just fine. I've been known to haul my laptop up the mountain.

I have hauled my laptop up the mountain also. A buddy takes a 35mm camera with him and puts the SD card in it to view photos and video - works well for him.

I'm just trying to get a feel for who is out there (elk, deer, moose, humans) when and where they are traveling, etc. I know the area well but every year brings new challenges and opportunities. Im just trying to gather intel while breaking in my new boots and working on cardio. I do carry a card reader that I picked up from Cabela's and an old digital camera as a back-up in my kit.

I second the SD card reader. If you have an Iphone, amazon sells a generic SD card reader that does not require an app and cost around $12.

My issue doing this with elk (works great on whitetail deer) is where they are in July, they aren't there in Sept/Oct. Two years in a row a camera went from "hot" to "ice cold" in about a week.

I got up 5 cameras this morning. I will back up next Friday to check my cards.
I saw a cow moose but couldn't get a picture so technically it didn't happen.

Attachments

• 20220630_123129.jpg
    20220630_123129.jpg
    223.5 KB · Views: 41
  • 20220630_080411.jpg
    20220630_080411.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 40
  • 20220630_083100.jpg
    20220630_083100.jpg
    211.2 KB · Views: 41
I’m planning on doing the same at the end of the month. I’m relatively new to elk hunting and trying to figure out if I should put mine on trails? Small meadows or water sources that are scarce? Where I plan on going is some serious altitude climb and steep. Debating on wether to lock them ?? Or just hide them as best as possible? Sorry not trying to high jack your thread, just wanting to learn.

I have them labeled as wallow, high meadow, bedding area, creek crossing, and ridgeline. They are at different elevations and in different environments. Just trying to gather as much info as possible.
I do not lock them. I won't steal your stuff so please don't steal mine. I also buy $79 cameras and not $250 cell cameras so I can get 3 for the price of 1. I have not lost one in 3 years of using them.
Good luck Hopeful44. I will post pics next weekend. Can't wait to see yours!

My issue doing this with elk (works great on whitetail deer) is where they are in July, they aren't there in Sept/Oct. Two years in a row a camera went from "hot" to "ice cold" in about a week.
Your pics are what i consider transition or movement animals, i look for core elk use areas. Anyone can get lucky and have a bull walk by them and shot it, i want to know where both a bulls kitchen and bedroom is not his hallway. I have had it happen both ways but if i am getting random animals or limited usage i move the camera, here is a example of what i want. I watched this pair of bulls all summer last year, had them under 30 yards during bow season and into November i watched them with a rifle in my hand. They never got more than 1/2mile ish from the camera the entire time. If you look the one bulls horns are slightly offset on bases and makes him easy to identify, and he never left his little buddy alone even in september. These bulls courted cows in same area repelled challengers (nothing bigger) and still never left this area. Cameras help identify these core areas and thats whats really important to me, unless i am chasing a specfic animal thats what i want from a camera, lots of animal (preferably same ones) usage. These bulls got a pass last year hopefully they keep developing cause they dont leave that area and i am pretty confident they will live most of their life in this core area. Lets face it, cameras are just fun!
IMG_0079.JPG

@Thegreatwapiti I had the same attitude as you. I had 5 cameras up (2 borrowed) in a fairly remote area believing everyone else had the same morals as me. 3 were stolen including the 2 borrowed. It was a $550 lesson. If it's steal able, there are enough scumbags out there that won't hesitate to steal them.

Hide AND lock your cameras.

Going to retrieve mine for the first time in a month! The elk hadn’t moved into this summer range yet when I set it, fingers crossed that the elk have moved in and nobody has stolen my camera 😅

@Thegreatwapiti I had the same attitude as you. I had 5 cameras up (2 borrowed) in a fairly remote area believing everyone else had the same morals as me. 3 were stolen including the 2 borrowed. It was a $550 lesson. If it's steal able, there are enough scumbags out there that won't hesitate to steal them.

Hide AND lock your cameras.
Thanks for the tip....I do appreciate it. I will re-evaluate next weekend when I check them...if they are there!

BTW.....18-hours was the winning "over/under" on how long it took for the critics. Everyone settle your bets.

I’ve rigged my cams with snare wire and small padlocks. They aren’t by any means theft proof but a possible delay and pain to take. Hopefully I can hide them well enough I won’t have to worry. Looking forward to being back in the mountains at the end of the month.

Your pics are what i consider transition or movement animals, i look for core elk use areas. Anyone can get lucky and have a bull walk by them and shot it, i want to know where both a bulls kitchen and bedroom is not his hallway. I have had it happen both ways but if i am getting random animals or limited usage i move the camera, here is a example of what i want. I watched this pair of bulls all summer last year, had them under 30 yards during bow season and into November i watched them with a rifle in my hand. They never got more than 1/2mile ish from the camera the entire time. If you look the one bulls horns are slightly offset on bases and makes him easy to identify, and he never left his little buddy alone even in september. These bulls courted cows in same area repelled challengers (nothing bigger) and still never left this area. Cameras help identify these core areas and thats whats really important to me, unless i am chasing a specfic animal thats what i want from a camera, lots of animal (preferably same ones) usage. These bulls got a pass last year hopefully they keep developing cause they dont leave that area and i am pretty confident they will live most of their life in this core area. Lets face it, cameras are just fun!
View attachment 228322
Amazing how elk behavior is so different from one part of Wyoming to the other. Around here the bulls travel for miles after they rub clean in August, I presume looking for cow herds. When the rut is over they transition to a hidey hole, before heading to winter range miles away from there. I've killed bulls on two occasions in November, 10 miles as the crow flies from where they were in September.

Amazing how elk behavior is so different from one part of Wyoming to the other. Around here the bulls travel for miles after they rub clean in August, I presume looking for cow herds. When the rut is over they transition to a hidey hole, before heading to winter range miles away from there. I've killed bulls on two occasions in November, 10 miles as the crow flies from where they were in September.
I understand how the herds very but my point is find the core usage areas. Dont your elk have certain drainages or shelter spots that they consistently use? These areas i am use to hold elk most of the year (except nastiest of winter) and at times hundreds of elk will migrate right thru these areas from the park. These little holes are just perfect living conditions for elk and imagin you guys must have something simular. I hunt elk in a region of idaho and while there are no trees and the only cover is sage and rocks and have found spots that elk just seem to always be. The reasons they seem to be there vary but wind/weather shelter, water or agriculture lands are prodominate reasons. Reguarless the elk are there consistently, the larger open country bulls do seem to travel much further than the timber guys. Elk are just so facinating how they can adapt and live in different environments!

Back