Elk Caliber

dunc check my siggy line...just for you.

BTW are those humping emoticons running train on your post? :)

I still shoot them with a little peashooter..... and I even own a few that start with a 3:eek:

Glad to see most people have a sense of humor. I love it. And yes my 270 has killed 5 elk and never lost one. I know that's not a lot but its a start.

Just wondering what caliber people prefer to use for elk. I am looking into a new rifle and was looking into a 7mm mag. Mostly hunt deer back in the state of Missouri but would like to buy something big enough to hopefully go bear and moose hunting some day.

A guy should always be looking for his next gun if you ask me. If you want a 7mm mag I think that would make a good elk rifle. I've only got 2 elk, but my weapon of choice was the 300RUM, it worked great both times. You also mention moose, unfortunately I've got no experience there, but if that's very likely you may want to look even bigger . . . . . or buy another new gun when that "need" arises.:)

I like my 300win mag but a 7mm will kill elk all day long.

FYI my wife shoots a 270 I feed it handloaded 150gr partitions and it kills anything she shoots with it.

The elk I shot was with a 30-06 with a 180 grain Hornady SST in a handload. With the new superformance powders from Hornady for handloader I'm pushing 300 win mag ballistics out of the 30-06 and not tearing up my already screwed up shoulder.

Didnt you tell me your getting a 300 mag for our elk hunt tthis fall:)
I just got a 300wsm for long range setup before that i used my 308 for everything just know your max range with ach caliber your considering and what you want to do with it and you will find the right one.

Good luck.

Alrighty then. Not to hijack, but what would be the best load in a .7mag? All I have ever used is off the shelf Remington 150 gr core lokt on deer.

I wouldn't hestitate using a 140 tipped or non tipped triple shock if a 7 were my battery.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutus56
Back