Elk Bullets

DHaffner

What are your favorite bullets for elk? We will be using a .300 win Mag and a .270 win.

Another vote for Hornady Interbond.

I've shot most of my elk with Nosler Accubonds, but Partitions and Barnes TSX are good too.

A bullet's performance depends largely on the cartridge it is shot out of, however. There are bullets I'll hunt elk with in my .308 that I wouldn't dream of shooting in my .300 WBY.

All of the bullets mentioned will perform well if well placed. Are you buying factory ammo or reloading? I have taken whitetails to a shiras with my 300 SAUM using 165 gr. Nosler Accubonds. The rifle loves the load I have developed, so I made it a one round rifle. Prior to the SAUM and Accubonds, I shot 4 elk with my .270 with reloads and a 150 gr. Nosler Partition with great results and whitetails with 130 gr. Partitions. I wouldn't be afraid to try the 140 gr. Accubonds for both. Bottom line is find a bullet/load your rifles like and that you become confident in. Confidence goes along way in good shot placement, which is the key for taking down elk. Good luck.

For my 300 WM its 180 gr Federal Trophy Bonded Tip

Wife's 270 its 150 gr Nosler Partition

Stay with a premium bullet for both calibers. You will generally have no doubt how they will perform. A Barnes, Patition, Accubond, Interbond, North Fork etc. will not fail you. Accuracy is of course a large part also, but most of the premiums shoot well. A standard bullet on an elk is a crap shoot if you happen to get a shoulder hit.

Elk are big animals and there is usually a fair amount of money spent on the hunt. Why take a chance with a cheaper bullet? There is a lot of premium ammo available if you don't handload also.

I've shot most of my elk with Nosler Accubonds, but Partitions and Barnes TSX are good too.

A bullet's performance depends largely on the cartridge it is shot out of, however. There are bullets I'll hunt elk with in my .308 that I wouldn't dream of shooting in my .300 WBY.

What do you like in your .308?

I've taken elk, moose and a mountain goat using my .300 WinMag and 180gr Barnes-X bullets. I shot my moose at 90 yards and dropped him in his tracks with one shot!

Nosler, preferably Partitions but did kill 2 with Accubonds from my 30 SAUM. Pretty hard to beat Partitions for about any application.

For my .300 (and my .308), I use Federal Premium 180 grain Trophy Bonded Tip.

I have also killed plenty of elk with my .270 using 150 grain Nosler Partitions.

May I say you have excellent taste when it comes to bullets ;)

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back