PEAX Equipment

Elk and .270 WSM Advice Needed

ColoradoKurt

Given my financial situation I could only buy one rifle for all my big game hunting needs. I live and hunt in Colorado for deer and antelope and was fortunate to draw an elk tag this fall. I would appreciate any advice on .270 WSM ammo for elk hunting. I don't load or reload so I need advice on ammo I can buy off the shelf.

Thank you!

I'm partial to Federal Premium ammo. I have a 7mm mag that shoots Remington Core Lokt like you wouldn't believe. Like mtmuley said, you really won't know what your gun shoots best until you try it.

Big fan of the 27 shorty....gifted one in sako finnlight flavor plus a 300 wsm sako stnlss syn to my son....three elk later, he only carries the 270. I call it the practical 257 wby.

I kill elk with my standard 270 and 130 ttsx loads. I know barnes offers a 140 in the 270 WSM, I think that would hammer the elk. Also try nolser accubonds.

Nosler and Federal premium both load up some great bullets. The 130 and 140 gr. Accubonds, Partitions, and E-tips would all work very well for you. I would chose which one of those combinations that shot the best in my rifle and not look back!

Excellent advice and thank you to all. I will definitely try some different ammunition during sight in and practice. I was more concerned about bullet grain. All I seem to find on the shelf is 130 grain and that is what I use for Antelope. Anyway, thank all for your help. This is a great forum!

Excellent advice and thank you to all. I will definitely try some different ammunition during sight in and practice. I was more concerned about bullet grain. All I seem to find on the shelf is 130 grain and that is what I use for Antelope. Anyway, thank all for your help. This is a great forum!
Bullet construction matters more than weight IMO. A premium 130gr out of the WSM would be preferable to me over a cup/core 150gr. Find a premium bullet load it likes, regardless of weight, and use it for everything. The 140gr Accubond is interesting to me in .277 as it has the BC of a 150gr Ballistic Tip.

I'd start with federal premium pushing a nosler partition, probably the 150grn.

I enjoy the 140gr Accubonds with my 270. No real reason to shoot anything else through it anymore

Sounds kind of boring but I'm not one to fix something that isn't broken

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back