Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Eldx issues

Flat
I assume the lead core continued along the path of the wound channel/ direction of travel. It could’ve deflected off bone one separated from the jacket also.
Have you tried any Bergers?

No I have not and would never use them. At least the VLDs.

Flat
Did you happen to find the lead core in the opposite shoulder or wound channel? Most thin jacketed bullets do shed the core and it keeps traveling a ways further than the jacket.

Nope that's all I found.

There are as many good reviews, as bad. These bullets were actually designed as a long-range bullet and that is where they perform the best. There is no free lunch. If you think that you need the high-bc bullets-which most people don't- then they are a good design. If you run them hot and shoot them close, then you can have some issues. If you want a do-all for 95 percent of your hunting needs, shoot a standard Interlock, or if you are shooting a whiz-bang-set-the-world-ablaze magnum, then shoot a copper, or an Accubomb. The ELDX, ELDM and Interlocks perform best at more standard velocities-under 3000 fps-as do many other c and c bullets. Pick your poison.

Shot 4 or 5 whitetail does with my 300wm, 200gr eldx. Only recovered one bullet if I remember. All others were pass through, 100-250 yards. All deer never took a step. 120lb doe may not be the best test of course. That being said, I now shoot 200gr accubonds and 210gr accubond lr. I prefer the bonded bullets

two years ago my first shot on my bull from 250 with 200gr out of my 300wsm in the boiler room put him down. About 5 minutes later he was standing back up. Another shot out him down. Two minutes later he was back up and started walking. Another shot out him down and when I got up to him, had to do a finishing shot in the back of the head. Terrible experience. My bull last year took a 165 grain TTSX at 175 yards, took two steps and was done for. Bull this year took one at 60 yards and made it 20 yards before he expired

805, the VLD is basically supposed to blow up inside and animal and the ELD-X is supposed to have controlled expansion so I wouldn't say they're going to perform the same. Of the 2 I'd rather go with the ELD-X but I really don't want to shoot either. At least not for elk.

805, the VLD is basically supposed to blow up inside and animal and the ELD-X is supposed to have controlled expansion so I wouldn't say they're going to perform the same. Of the 2 I'd rather go with the ELD-X but I really don't want to shoot either. At least not for elk.
Flat
The VLD is designed to penetrate 2-3” and then start fragmenting the frontal half of the bullet jacket but it doesn’t just blow up. The core and rear of the jacket has held together for me on many animals. I’ve had almost all the Berger’s I’ve shot have exit wounds using Berger’s. Using the Hybrids I’ve had extremely good results from under 100 yards to 800 yards. Just my experience though.

Untill they teamed up with Hornady the other year to develop a new cartridge, Gunwerks used Berger VLD exclusively.
168gr Berger VLD out of a 7mm Rem Mag has dropped many elk.

New cartridge was the 7mm LRM. We now have it's brethren the 6.5 & 300 PRC.

And i would maintain that the person that would say the Berger is too frangible, is the person that has never shot an animal with one to see how well they perform.

Minimal meat loss, massive internal organ damage!
And if it's in the boiler room up close, their legs just kinda straighten out and they drop dead. Really crazy to watch.

Last edited:
We have killed a lot of deer and antelope with the 143 out of a 6.5 creed, this year was the first time we didn't get a pass through on a double lung shot under 300 yards on a antelope buck. Lead separated from the jacket. It dies with in 50 yards so no complaint.

At high velocity the eldx is made to shed 50% of it's weight. It's not a bullet that is made to retain maximum weight. They are accurate and do a good job of killing, but if you want something that does not come apart they aren't the ticket for you.

At high velocity the eldx is made to shed 50% of it's weight. It's not a bullet that is made to retain maximum weight. They are accurate and do a good job of killing, but if you want something that does not come apart they aren't the ticket for you.
All those lead fragments in the meat aren't very tasty or healthy either.

Untill they teamed up with Hornady the other year to develop a new cartridge, Gunwerks used Berger VLD exclusively.
168gr Berger VLD out of a 7mm Rem Mag has dropped many elk.

New cartridge was the 7mm LRM. We now have it's brethren the 6.5 & 300 PRC.

And i would maintain that the person that would say the Berger is too frangible, is the person that has never shot an animal with one to see how well they perform.

Minimal meat loss, massive internal organ damage!
And if it's in the boiler room up close, their legs just kinda straighten out and they drop dead. Really crazy to watch.
I shoot the 180 grn berger vld hunting out of my 7mm dakota, totally love the bullet!!! 7 bulls since 2011, few cows too most one shot kills none of the elk went more than a few yards. Most were pass thru hits 400 to 700yrds, deer, bighorn sheep, bunch antelope same ranges 1/2 shots pass thru almost everything dropped in its tracks nothing really ever has ran away! That Berger VLD Hunting bullet is an all out killer! Yes they do blow up half the time, yes some times pass thru on elk.
I have witnessed that leg straightening a bunch of times and followed by the 2 or 3 second later tip over!!!
You know Like STD7mag said above years ago watching the gunwerks videos when they shot bergers along with Best of the west> it really seemed like tons of 1 shot fast kills. Since the switch to the Hornaday eldx seems like alot of the animals don't die as quickly. Hornaday is a big marketing machine and berger is just a great shooting bullet.

The eldx is marketed as a hunting bullet.

Do you believe all of the marketing you see? ;) In my opinion those type bullets just aren't a good choice for an all around hunting round since they deform so much on shorter range shots, especially when they're coming a really high velocities. Interbond, acccubond, partition, or one of the monolitics are the way to go (again, just my opinion).

Do you believe all of the marketing you see? ;) In my opinion those type bullets just aren't a good choice for an all around hunting round since they deform so much on shorter range shots, especially when they're coming a really high velocities. Interbond, acccubond, partition, or one of the monolitics are the way to go (again, just my opinion).

Do you believe everything you read on the internet?😉
Have you personally shot game with any “target” bullets?
I have used Corelokts,accubonds, TTSX, Etips, Ballistic tips and Berger bullets. I prefer Berger for myself.

ELD-X and SST bullets do similar things. That you had them separate from the core is not at all surprising. They do massive damage all the way through the wound channel and aren't meant to stick together like a bonded bullet. If you want something that holds together all the way through the animal you should be buying something bonded or monometal as that's their purpose. If not, then don't be surprised.

I personally have had great success with the ELD-X and SSTs out of every gun I've loaded it for. They shoot well and do what they're supposed to on game.

Back