Ecodiesel experiences

I bought a 2015 Ram eco new. Had it for 5 years and 125k miles. I had good luck with the engine ect until about 100k then started having issues. But with the lawsuit they extended the warranty so most was covered, but then started having electrical problems and moved on. Pretty sure the newer ones have fixed these issues.

Overall I liked the truck. However, once you put any weight or resistance the mileage drops quickly. For example going from 4ply stock tires to 10ply dropped a couple gallons per mile. Towing wasn't great in my opinion. I have a gas Nissan Titan XD and prefer it much more for towing. However, I only tow a camper and could get by with the eco as most of my driving is commuting, so I did like that I could have a truck with pretty good mileage.

If most of your driving is towing, I don't think I would recommend it if the newer version is similar to the 2015. I don't think you would be happy with the towing compared to a 3/4 cummins. It's a 1/2 ton truck, it's nowhere near a 3/4 diesel. To be honest, I like my wife's Tundra better for towing. Maybe your setup isn't as heavy as my camper, I think its like 4-6000 lbs. Towing my raft trailer or something similar was just fine.
My trailer is tall, but probably only 4500#

Hunting partner has a Ram eco diesel. It’s probably the least reliable vehicle with the most breakdowns I’ve ever been exposed to. Seriously. It’s junk.

eco diesels are problematic big time//problably your best most reliable option is to keep your dodge/cummins and keep it maintained,,as a mechanic my whole life,,im not very impressed with whats available out there these days and crazy prices on new rigs,,,you can put alot into your existing rig for less $$$

what year is your old dodge? personally i feel 2004.5 to 2007 are the best for reliability with exception of the old 12 valvers 94-97 p pump.

Seems these days no diesel is reliable. Major repairs just seem to be the cost of doing business.

I had a 2016 Dodge 1500 Ecodiesel, bought new and had it for about a year and a half- 65,000 miles. During that time it was in the shop at least five times for extended periods due to an engine issue- in the shop long enough each time that I was on a first name basis with the car rental counter folks. Long story short- the truck would want to "Regen" much too often and towards the end, it was wanting to "Regen" every other day, or every 50 miles or so. As a final, last ditch effort they switched out the catalytic converter which seemed to correct the problem for a month which was long enough for me to trade it in. (I went back to an older, full size Chevy diesel so I wouldn't have to mess with DEF, "Regens", etc.)

I would say I was pretty easy on that truck- only towed my Harley on a trailer for a total of 500 miles, maybe. One thing that I would suggest to someone looking at that truck- give that maximum tow rating of 7,600 pounds a real hard look. I know that number is "more of a recommendation" but it pretty limiting in what you can tow. I found the ride quality of the truck to be very nice but for some reason those 1500's are super low to the ground which isn't a great trait for a pickup.

what year is your old dodge? personally i feel 2004.5 to 2007 are the best for reliability with exception of the old 12 valvers 94-97 p pump.
My 2005 Laramie 3500 Cummins has been a great truck (albeit operator error resulted in some body work and paint occasionally) and it warrants investment to keep it going rather than even consider purchasing a new DEF drinking super expensive newer vehicle.

I have one. I've put about 16k into keeping it on the road. Including a new engine before 175k miles. Run. Run like hell and never look back. If you get an opportunity to set it on fire do it so nobody else can buy it.

I hear great things about the ford Powerboost. Hybrid but its an animal and lots of freakin power. I keep wanting to buy a new truck. But i look at new truck prices and can replace my entire drive train and wear parts for less then half that price. So i keep talkin myself into just keeping the 08 and fixing what needs fixed when needed, I gotta do some work on the front axle U joints and axle seals soon. Tired of that 45mph shake the U joints are causing.

I have a 2018 with 68,000 miles and I won't buy another one. It's been in the shop 7 times for various small computer/sensor issues and a fuel problem that took them 5 weeks to figure out. I've owned new Ford and Chevy vehicles and never had a warranty issue on either so I can't speak to how they are on customer service but I can say Chrysler has been bad.

eco diesels are problematic big time//problably your best most reliable option is to keep your dodge/cummins and keep it maintained,,as a mechanic my whole life,,im not very impressed with whats available out there these days and crazy prices on new rigs,,,you can put alot into your existing rig for less $$$
I've done almost all the work on mine and loved the truck, front end, rebuilt transfer case, steering box, starter, ac system, heater core, water pump, but I just can't trust it to not leave the wife high and dry with two kids pulling a trailer, or turn my elk hunt into a central Nevada search for some random part... Having a shop do the head gasket currently. I also baby it and drive like a grandma.

I think I'm gonna get a half ton gasser used and put air bags on it in six months or a year... Sell my diesel to some highschooler who will blow it up day two. I wouldn't mind a slightly quieter and smoother ride than a dirt road 24v with extended cab either.

Thanks

i will be in central nevada with my 04.5 dodge cummins this november elk hunting,,i cant think of a more reliable truck than what i have...if i was offered a brand new truck in trade,,id say no way,ill keep what i have..lol

that is true,,if its all maintained well,,id still trust it over these new rigs that are very hard to work on,,have massive amounts of plastic motor parts now and usually several factory recalls to boot,,,i work on them for a living and cannot believe the stupidity enginered into some of these new rigs,,,{no grease fittings,,plastic intake manifolds,plastic oil pans,,plastic transmission pans,ect now}after 50+ years,ford forgot how to make a/c systems work now!! ask anybody with a 2019 or newer ford f-superduty,,ford has a big a/c problem ,but they wont admit it..ive replaced several a/c compressors on numerous fords that shouldnt be having issues yet,but they are.fords are not the only ones with problems though.trust me.

2017 Ecodiesel, 140k miles, daily driver for a 80 mile round trip 5 days a week + family roadtrips/excursions every other weekend, tows my camper or boat and still gets 20ish mpg at highway speeds, 26-27mpg if I'm not towing. Never been in the shop for anything other than a tire change 🤷‍♂️

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back