Ebay screw job

mtmiller

Maybe I have been living under a rock too long, but I was outraged by a print I purchased last week through ebay. It was a Leon Parson that was listed a last month, but didn't reach the reserve. I saw it again last week with an opening bid of $150. It was a cool framed and matted sheep print, so I threw out $180. It ends up I won the print. The description mentioned that the print would be professionally packed and shipped and the buyer would be responsible for the bill. No problem, I am thinking 30 or 40 bucks and it will still be a sweet deal.

Today I get the envoice, $250 bucks for packing, shipping and insurance. What the f*ck, hell I would drive to MN and pick it up for 1/2 the price. I can't believe he would think anyone would pay that much. Am I missing something? Maybe he didn't get what he wanted for it and was trying to sqeeze bucks through another avenue.

If anyone is interested, here is a link to the item. I am hoping I won't end up getting screwed on this deal.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3718394262&ssPageName=ADME:B:BN:US:1

It seems like he coulda rolled up the print in a mailing tube and sent it for less than $10 and you coulda got it matted and framed for less than $240. I've sold prints and I usually took them out and mailed them in a tube and kept the glass and mailed the frame and mat for hardly anything. Then the buyer gets a piece of glass and hangs the print on the mat himself or takes it all to a framing shop and they don't charge much for the labor to hang it and put the paper on the back. I usually have the mats cut for me and then do all the rest myself on my own prints. I used to deal in antique art prints and I've bought, sold and shipped hundreds of them. I don't think it's ever cost me more than $25 total cost to ship a print. Many of the prints I sold were in the $500--$1000 range.

I've heard a lot of horror stories about Ebay over the past few years. I'm really leery of them. I understand that if the transaction is through Pay Pal, and something is amiss, Pay Pal takes up the legal end of it for the consumer. Don't know how it works for other arrangements. $240 for shipping and handling is just plain ridiculous! Even next day delivery shouldn't run that much.

That is why I've shyed away from several motorcycle deals on Ebay that just sounded too sweet...I suspected a trap.

-RW-

mtmiller
You got hosed on that deal, you could have come to minnesota, and we could have went to WildWings about 8 blocks from my house and picked it up for half that, then went fishing for some walleyes and drank some beer with some good old elk steaks OOOUUUCCCHHH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yep, you got screwed. My butt hurts just thinking of those inflated shipping/handling prices. I've got a bunch of friends that sell on Ebay and they hide the misc. fees in the shipping price but what the seller wants you to pay is just highway robbery. If it was me, I would ask the seller how everything breaks down money wise then if things aren't right, tell him/her to take a thumb up the behinder. Let us know what you find out.

Mt Miller.

that shipping is a little high, I would definatly call him up and talk to him about it. before you pay for it. Also keep a copy of the bill he sent you.

We used to buy tons of stuff through Ebay and had only one problem the whole time.

I also use paypal on a daily basis and they are pretty cool guys we never had any problems with them either.

Delw

I noticed that the seller stated that he uses a "professional packing house," and that the receipt would be available from him. I would find out if this has already been paid - has he shipped it yet? If not, tell him you won't pay it (in writing via an email or certified letter) and to ship it insured. Insurance is not that expensive.

I've bought more than one print on Ebay, and the most I paid for packing/shipping was $20. That $20 job was almost excessive...it could have been run over and still been ok.

I'm assuming you haven't paid yet. I would follow any other avenue you can to keep from paying. It does look like he was trying to cover his ass on the shipping, after reading the listing. Good info for everyone else: agree on a shipping price before bidding.

Oak

dont pay him. Take the negitive feedback before you get hosed like that.

Gently advise the seller that his packing charges seem to be excessive and ask if he has made a mistake. Remind himn that "Mailboxes Etc. are also "professional packers" and inform him that you are willing to drop by and pick up the print personally. Otherwise; "have a Nice Day"; and if he torches you on the feedback you are entitled to reply.

My cousin was selling a lot of stuff on EBay and told me that those bad comments really do add up and create a problem thru the company when to many stack up...Good luck Craig and hope it all comes out for the better..

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back