Caribou Gear

Eastern hunters are overly defensive over spatial distribution!

Irrelevant

247 yards? That's it?
We've got a lot of roads!

It's because most people drag deer. The number one thing the people I know ask me about when I tell them I kill deer a half mile or more back is "how do you get it out?"
Way back in the dark ages when I started deer hunting we had to physically take our kill to a check station whole. We don't have to now but I don't think too many people around here would even think about packing one out. We're just going to drag it where we can get it with the atv. Lazy? Maybe compared to western hunting but around here it's all we've known our entire life!

I lived and hunted in NC for over a decade. The deer densities are so high that there's no reason to go more then. ½ mile in. Like stated, finding spots that are more the ½ mile from a road can be difficult as well. I had a couple of more remote spots that saw little pressure, never really saw more deer in those areas. And man, carrying a clunky ass tree stand ½ mile is a pain in the ass

What some call lazy, others call efficient 😜. Though I do prefer to get farther in when hunting public land here in mn. Lots of folks close to the parking areas. Also, I don't think we are allowed to quarter them out still, which annoys me. I've drug bucks a mile through woods and swamp, getting hung up on all the brush and over lots of downed trees. That is terrible work, but rewarding in it's own way.

It’s a different world in the east than the west. Each has its own set of issues. Whitetails aren’t elk and don’t behave the same that’s for sure, and for the most part there is no need to go deep and get away from the crowds. Like stated above, we can’t get away from roads most of the time anyway. I can’t begin to count the number of top quality bucks that were taken within a few hundred yards from where the ATV was parked. Also, here one of the best ways to screw up a place is to keep tramping around all over it leaving no stone unturned. It won’t be long before you have done nothing but spook all the deer onto inaccessible properties essentially shooting yourself in the foot. It is what it is, just different.

Lol one of the comments on the instagram post is “no one in their right minds is going to climb 1000 ft vertical to maybe see a little sign”

Meanwhile out west my dumba** will consistently go 1500+ just cause the top of the ridge looks cool😂

It's hard to judge that from the study alone. Those "sanctuary areas" could be impenetrable, unhuntable thickets.
It's also hard to get away from roads in the east.
My biggest complaint with OnX is not being able to adjust the roadless area distance. I hunt 100k acre national forest and none of it shows "roadless" areas on OnX because there is a road a mile in any direction.
There can also be great spots close to roads and dry holes in deep, so why go further...

I lived and hunted in NC for over a decade. The deer densities are so high that there's no reason to go more then. ½ mile in. Like stated, finding spots that are more the ½ mile from a road can be difficult as well. I had a couple of more remote spots that saw little pressure, never really saw more deer in those areas. And man, carrying a clunky ass tree stand ½ mile is a pain in the ass
1/2 mile!? You should see this big ass climber I pack up to 2 miles one way sometimes just for a couple hour evening hunt.

G’Damn Easterners

🤪😉

I've got about a mile hike into the areas on the farms in Va. with the Flint Lock or Bow. Sometimes with my Lone Wolf up and down 4-5 steep ravines. The number one obstetrical here in the east is Jumping deer. It will mess up your day. The east has deer, lots of deer. Here you learn to hunt the moon transit , the wind and guard your scent.
But @ 70 I use the canoe to get back to the areas I most like for big Bucks. For meat I can be lazy and hunt the outer field edges for a doe from tower stands with the 300 or 450.
I've only had a few partners over the years I'd hunt with who had the same passion for hunting, were knowledgeable woodsman. All other were hindrance to the hunting experience. The truth about lazy, a hunter who has no respect for the animal they are hunting.

What they Arnt telling you is that of those 52 hunters 48 of them already killed three or four or 5 bucks over their 2 buck limit on the family farm using other people tags and they don't want to go to the extra effort on public when they can whack them with a spotlight and a rifle from their ranger on the back 40.....

It's a disaster of poaching in the dirty south.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back