MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Eastern Hunter - Travel Question

GriffHunt35

Hi All,

I live in Virginia, and my family and I are looking to do our first DIY Archery Elk hunt next year. We haven't yet decided on a location, though I wanted to get some insight on peoples experience with regards to the travel from the East Coast. Any recommendations on flying vs. driving? Anyone have any tips if you are flying, or is it best just to bite the bullet and make the 20-30+ hour drive?

I have done some research online, though haven't found much to make me lean one way or another.

I am new to the forum, so I apologize if this topic has been covered previously, though I looked and was not able to find it.

Thanks in advance!

I've never been on a plane. I live in Kentucky and I suck it and drive. Just sucks when you have to roll solo

Do the drive every year solo from va Beach! Let me know any specific questions you have in pm. Couple others here from around the state. Some friends also drive for dates they can or fly out and meet me but I like a truck and all my gear. If I was only going for a week I might fly but shortest I have ever went for is 3 weeks, this year will be nearly 2 months. It's your trip but to me getting there is part of the adventure.

C

I have done 27 hr drive to Colorado for last 10 seasons now..
Not fun, but always do it and get use to it..
Just like fact of knowing I'm in charge of my gear and meat traveling, not someone else.

We drive from the Charlotte, NC area to western MT, which takes 2 days after a short overnight stay in WY before the last stretch. It's tough, but we hunt for 2 weeks in the back country, and with the gear needed, it would cost a significant amount to ship everything out ahead of flying. Another plus is, like the last time when we killed two elk in 5 days, we simply started driving home once we finished packing everything out, with no flight changes. There's definitely alot of pros with flying, and I fly alot on business and vacation, but even after all of the logistics of driving, I still prefer making that trek cross country. Plus, can't beat seeing the country. Just make sure you enjoy spending alot of time in close quarters with whoever you're going with.

Last edited:
I drive. Can't imagine what it would cost to fly all the hunting & camping gear out west. Shipping meat back wouldn't be cheap either. I'm planning on going to Wyoming twice this year, by myself

If your elk hunting my advise is drive no brainer.If chasing deer I fly easier to get meat back home. If you fly elk hunting and take an elk home you better lube up for airline fees is all I can say. Been there done that last year. Driving this year from va.

I drive. Can't imagine what it would cost to fly all the hunting & camping gear out west. Shipping meat back wouldn't be cheap either. I'm planning on going to Wyoming twice this year, by myself

going to Wyo twice myself. when and where in Wyo are you going

Also depends on how much time you have. more time on the road, less time in the field.

That is true. I take three weeks off for a two week hunt. Fours days of driving with 1-3 days left to rest before going back to work. Which some of those can be used to process meat.
Forgot about that one.

Thank you for the info! That's a good point about if you are able to tag out early you can start the return trip without worrying about flight changes...

We drive from the Charlotte, NC area to western MT, which takes 2 days after a short overnight stay in WY before the last stretch. It's tough, but we hunt for 2 weeks in the back country, and with the gear needed, it would cost a significant amount to ship everything out ahead of flying. Another plus is, like the last time when we killed two elk in 5 days, we simply started driving home once we finished packing everything out, with no flight changes. There's definitely alot of pros with flying, and I fly alot on business and vacation, but even after all of the logistics of driving, I still prefer making that trek cross country. Plus, can't beat seeing the country. Just make sure you enjoy spending alot of time in close quarters with whoever you're going with.

I think that is a good game plan.

That is true. I take three weeks off for a two week hunt. Fours days of driving with 1-3 days left to rest before going back to work. Which some of those can be used to process meat.
Forgot about that one.

Thank you all very much for the information. It appears pretty unanimous that driving is the best choice and that I should build several days travel and recovery into our schedule!

I've done both from the Charlotte area and I will HANDS DOWN fly every time until I retire. I show up fresher to hunt and get back fresher for my family. I save the last day or 2 to scout new areas since killing an animal on the last day wouldn't work for the flight. I go in archery season so the processors aren't slammed and can prepare my meat in about 24 hours. it is a bit more expensive if you kill an animal but still cheaper than crappy ground beef if you compare store costs.

This biggest issue with driving is the kids. When I've taken my sons cross country and made sure they both had a video DVD player with headphones and plenty of cigarette lighter plugs. I think between my cell phone and Sirius radio and all of their stuff, I had 7 plugs going at once last time...lol Pack plenty of lunch meat and snacks for the trip and cut costs for meals. I have a small tabletop propane grill and we would pull into a truckstop or walmart with a large parking lot and grill burgers or hotdogs. Also, even a small camper or pop up is worth its weight in gold when cross country driving and hunting. A somewhat comfortable bed in a parking lot for free is a nice convenience and money saver over a motel. I drive everywhere to all of my hunts and drive back home to NY quite often. Stop every half tank of gas..it's a decent amount of time to need to go to the bathroom and get a snack and stretch and keeps you a bit more fresh and alert. One thing I like about driving to hunting trips is that if I have the time and feel like staying a day or two extra to fish, I can. Plus, i don't have to worry about getting meat back cross country via flights or shipping. Also you can make the trip an adventure and let the kids see the country. I'm willing to bet it will be an experience that the majority of kids they know will never do and be able to see what your kids did. Give the kids each their own cheap little cameras so they have their own memories specific to them on what they felt was important, then you can put their pics on their own individual electronics/tablets/laptops. There's lots of ways to make the trips easier and enjoyable for everyone on top of the convenience of mobility not in a rental car at the end of an airport.

Those are some really great ideas on keeping the kids entertained! I am going to steal some of those just on our shorter road trips to the in-laws house! :)

This biggest issue with driving is the kids. When I've taken my sons cross country and made sure they both had a video DVD player with headphones and plenty of cigarette lighter plugs. I think between my cell phone and Sirius radio and all of their stuff, I had 7 plugs going at once last time...lol Pack plenty of lunch meat and snacks for the trip and cut costs for meals. I have a small tabletop propane grill and we would pull into a truckstop or walmart with a large parking lot and grill burgers or hotdogs. Also, even a small camper or pop up is worth its weight in gold when cross country driving and hunting. A somewhat comfortable bed in a parking lot for free is a nice convenience and money saver over a motel. I drive everywhere to all of my hunts and drive back home to NY quite often. Stop every half tank of gas..it's a decent amount of time to need to go to the bathroom and get a snack and stretch and keeps you a bit more fresh and alert. One thing I like about driving to hunting trips is that if I have the time and feel like staying a day or two extra to fish, I can. Plus, i don't have to worry about getting meat back cross country via flights or shipping. Also you can make the trip an adventure and let the kids see the country. I'm willing to bet it will be an experience that the majority of kids they know will never do and be able to see what your kids did. Give the kids each their own cheap little cameras so they have their own memories specific to them on what they felt was important, then you can put their pics on their own individual electronics/tablets/laptops. There's lots of ways to make the trips easier and enjoyable for everyone on top of the convenience of mobility not in a rental car at the end of an airport.

Good call on contacting the meat processors in advance. Another recommendation I had seen was to ship all your hunting gear back via UPS, Fedex, etc... and then check all of your frozen meat in coolers. Do you do something similar to this?

I've done both from the Charlotte area and I will HANDS DOWN fly every time until I retire. I show up fresher to hunt and get back fresher for my family. I save the last day or 2 to scout new areas since killing an animal on the last day wouldn't work for the flight. I go in archery season so the processors aren't slammed and can prepare my meat in about 24 hours. it is a bit more expensive if you kill an animal but still cheaper than crappy ground beef if you compare store costs.

Check the roads before you head out and during the drive. Wyoming roads are notorious for closing when the weather dictates it. Sometimes for days. That's the biggest driving issues I would foresee.

we drive from VA to CO every year. It's a haul but not that bad. My dad drives day shift and i have nights. We drive straight though and get in steamboat in 28 hours. We leave around 6 am and the time works out good to miss trafic in big cities like st Louis. If you drive straight just make sure you have someone to stay up with the driver at night to talk and make sure they're in good shape. If not stop and sleep for 6 hours or so. Good luck we love it!

A vote for flying here. Because I'd just about rather get waterboarded than have to drive across Kansas twice in two weeks.

Back