Early Big Game Hunts

fmnjr

My 14 year old loves the outdoor sports and wants to hunt, everything. He's a smart kid and got into a high school here rated #33 in the nation with a very demanding and competitive program. Had to have A/B average to apply and then had to get through a lottery to attend, which, thank God, happened. We're very proud of him. We're lucky in that NV has a junior tag program for mule deer and this is the second year he's gotten a tag. He almost got it done last year and literally missed a nice 4 point high in the Rubies at 4:30pm on the last day we could hunt. Gives me goose bumps just thinking about it. I passed on shots to give him the opportunity of course. This year we were lucky again in that he got his junior tag and that somehow NDOW also gave me a tag in the same area (22). We're scouting hard, this weekend will be the 3rd time we've been up to Mt Grafton and think we've got a decent chance this season to kill deer.

Here's the deal....with the demanding HS program he's in our hunting is pretty much limited to weekends or holidays during the school year. Therefore I'm researching what hunts are available and start sometime before August 14th, the approximate date school starts here in NV. We're going to tackle archery, muzzle loader, or, where possible, rifle hunts. Obviously, archery is going to be the earliest hunt he can do that won't detract from school. If anyone has any solid ideas about where to hunt early I would sure like to hear about it. We're not limited to NV, we'll go anywhere in the western states. Thank you!

Depending on your budget there are some hunts in Alaska that would fit your timeline.

not out of the question we’ve actually been talking about a visit there. Budget would be a consideration give there will be 3 of us. What should I be looking at?

not out of the question we’ve actually been talking about a visit there. Budget would be a consideration give there will be 3 of us. What should I be looking at?
Depends on what you want do to...

If you’re smart about air miles you can get cheap tickets. Deer, bear, and moose can be hunted via the road system. Caribou via the roads are tougher, really only options are Adak, Haul road, or drawing a tag.

I re-read your post, I would look at doing blacktail in SEAK off the road system or caribou on Adak. Those two are the least logistically difficult. Basically you just fly to AK rent a car and go hunting.

Too much work, and no play...
Take a couple of data and enjoy them, He's only gonna
be young for so long.
Make the best of it! 💥

wl
I re-read your post, I would look at doing blacktail in SEAK off the road system or caribou on Adak. Those two are the least logistically difficult. Basically you just fly to AK rent a car and go hunting.

Sounds simple enough. Logistically it should be straight forward, too. Alaska is definitely going to be on our list.

Also New Zealand is cheap. Go diy, public land. No tags or license, no closed season, no limit, either sex. Seven species of deer plus tahr, chamois, wallabies, goat, pig. Our summer is their winter.

View attachment 152780

Hawaii, I'd thought of that in the past - good reminder.

New Zealand is not a place I'd given serious thought but I'm going to put it on the list now.

What's the elevation where you shot that tahr?

Too much work, and no play...
Take a couple of data and enjoy them, He's only gonna
be young for so long.
Make the best of it! 💥

It's all about finding a balance between the two. We'll see to it he has plenty of opportunities for adventure along the way.

You could buy a PLM tag hunt in California Early like July -August or Late (Nov 1-30) for blacktail deer. Probably run you $4500 per person.
OTC A zone (Along coast) deer tags. Season is July 11- Aug 2 for Archery and August 8 - Sept 20 this year. ost likely going to need to book an outfitted hunt to access the private for a quality hunt.
Arizona OTC deer tags Archery December and January Rut hunts for Mule deer and Coues
California Wild Hog hunts are year round figure $500 for a weekend hunt on private land near 100% success.
Northern Idaho Whitetail (panhandle) season runs into late November
Landowner tags for New Mexico Elk Late season hunts. Chama Area.

Because of your tight time window you most likely will have to employ an outfitter to get what you want.

South Dakota archery antelope may be an option to fit in that timeframe. Give me a shout and I can help you look up dates and such.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back