Yeti GOBOX Collection

Durango woman found dead after apparent bear attack

Dogs are to be under control in most NF's that I know of.
I have been known to be a scofflaw at times. The dog off leash on a trail is one. But,the dogs were under control.
Rio is never out of sight on public lands. And the few bears I've encountered in NM have gone way out of their way to avoid me. The 2 Rio & I have run into hiking flew out of there. Rio just stands his ground near me full protect mode.Not attack or chase.

But I trust bears and cat's warily. If at all. Have always watched my back trail. Been aware of surroundings.
Never thought it was too smart of me to ride my mtn bike in the parks I've worked at,after doing enough hours of patrol. Observation. Cat's were a problem there mainly. Bears in camps.

The drought has made things tough I'm sure. On bears too.
It's a bummer. But life is that way at times.

Last edited:
Pets are allowed in the back country but must be under physical control at all times . Pets and service animals are not allowed within the Brooks Camp development area (BCDA) defined as a 1.5 mile radius from Brooks Falls platform, between May1 and October 31.
Correct. My mistake. I meant Brooks Camp where I worked. Incidentally, no one is at Brooks Camp between October 31 and May 1. Visitation there is zero during that period. Staff fly in and land on the ice periodically to briefly check on the place.

In Katmai National Park dogs are simply not allowed in any way shape or form. Too many brown bears.
I don’t think they’re allowed to be away from the road in the majority of National Parks just to keep an additional factor (beyond humans) from potentially pestering any wildlife, not just bears. I’m a-ok with that. For some reason Shenandoah seems to be the exception that I’ve encountered.

Dogs are to be under control in most NF's that I know of.
I have been known to be a scofflaw at times. The dog off leash on a trail is one. But,the dogs were under control.
Rio is never out of sight on public lands. And the few bears I've encountered in NM have gone way out of their way to avoid me. The 2 Rio & I have run into hiking flew out of there. Rio just stands his ground near me full protect mode.Not attack or chase.

But I trust bears and cat's warily. If at all. Have always watched my back trail. Been aware of surroundings.
Never thought it was too smart of me to ride my mtn bike in the parks I've worked at,after doing enough hours of patrol. Observation. Cat's were a problem there mainly. Bears in camps.

The drought has made things tough I'm sure. On bears too.
It's a bummer. But life is that way at times.
Hank, my previous post wasn’t a criticism of you or having your dogs off leash. Just saying that a lot of folks aren’t even aware of the potential for conflict, or how serious the potential actually is.

I don’t personally own dogs, but my friend did tote hers along on an extended trip into the Bob Marshall a few years back. I was slightly nervous about it bringing a critter back around, but the dog is a big baby and stayed by our sides the entire trip. The little bugger did get into a ton of half rotten bones and other weird forest floor stuff and got extra stinky, but that’s a whole ‘nother problem that we had.

Last edited:
Hank, my previous post wasn’t an attack on you or running your dogs off leash. Just saying that a lot of folks aren’t even aware of the potential for conflict.

I don’t personally own dogs, but my friend did tote hers along on an extended trip into the Bob Marshall a few years back. I was slightly nervous about it bringing a critter back around, but the dog is a big baby and stayed by our sides the entire trip. The little bugger did get into a ton of half rotten bones and other weird forest floor stuff and got extra stinky, but that’s a whole ‘nother problem that we had.
No offense taken. I totally agree with you.
It's the odds. Your times up.
Don't know how many times I've seen folks with kids taking pics of bears around trash bins. They were lucky.
How many folks walking around with ear buds?

Put more folks around more wildlife and stuff happens. The old way was we just got eaten.

I wonder how many dogs that dissappear around here that are not wildlife casualties?

Dogs in the NP's I have been in are under scrutiny. It was always a pain to camp with them in NP's.

I don’t think they’re allowed to be away from the road in the majority of National Parks just to keep an additional factor (beyond humans) from potentially pestering any wildlife, not just bears. I’m a-ok with that. For some reason Shenandoah seems to be the exception that I’ve encountered.
There is only one road in Katmai National Park. More of a trail than a road from Brooks Camp to Valley of 10,000 Smokes. Twenty-six miles as I recall. No dogs on that bus!

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back