Durability Issues with First Lite Llano QZ?

Sainte_Terrer

I picked one of these up a few months back thinking it was going to be the best piece of hunting apparel that I would own. I wore the first one 4x under a fleece jacket whilst turkey hunting before holes wore developed in the area around the zipper. I sent it back to First Lite (great customer service) and they sent me a next one. I wore this one twice as a standalone layer whilst foraging and now it has multiple holes. I guess I am going to try to get a refund at Scheel's. These outings were not particularly strenuous and I wasn't climbing through greeenbriars. What gives?

That's odd...I own multiple pieces of First Lite and have never had an issue with any of their tops...and I have abused them. I love First Lite's clothing and would put it against any other companies out there. Maybe just bad luck? I would not give up on them though if I were you. Hopefully your future purchases work out for you!

I have purchased several articles of First Lite clothing and for the most part love the fit and feel, however I too have some reservations concerning durability. I bought the fleece and it has shown quite a bit of pilling from where it rubs against my pack. I also have the Kanabs and after one season the material surrounding the drawstring on the leg opening has frayed to the point the drawstring is now fully exposed. Maybe that's just the nature of the merino wool not being as sturdy of a material?

I completely ruined a pair of Kanab the very first time I took them out. Luckily they made it right, but I am reserved on the durability of these pants standing up to a week in the mountains.

I've had most of my First Lite clothing for about 3 years. I have one pair of Kanabs with a hole due to crossing a barbed wire fence. All of my other clothing still has no sign of wear.

With that said, I knew when buying merino wool it wasn't going to be as durable. The benefits outweighed the negatives in my mind.

I bought a First Lite Chama Hoody for turkey season. Two outings and it has several holes in it. I think its a great piece of clothing as far as weight, cut and warmth, but I also highly question its durability.

Thanks for the responses everyone. I probably should reevaluate merino. Given that these layers are quite expensive (to me) I will probably be seeking an alternative.

Before I bought my first item from first lite, I called to talk to one of the salesman. We spoke for 10 minutes or so about the type of hunting I would be doing and the various types of terrain people hunt. When it was all said and done, he said "if your gunna bush whack all the time, buy carharts." So I bought their stuff anyway, knowing it could tear pretty easily if abused. I wore the Kanabs and Chama for 6 days in Colorado last year and they held up really well. I did tear a small hole in the bottom of the pant by getting it stuck on a sharp tree limb on a downed tree. I pulled on it pretty hard and don't think many other articles of clothing could have withstood that scenario either. I feel like the first lite stuff is reasonably durable and that maybe you got a bad run or something. But if had the luck you had with it, I'd probably try something else too.

Back