Duplex reticle users

peterk1234

Currently I am limited to the distances I can shoot at (120 yards), so practice for bullet drop with my 308 is pretty much impossible. For someone that is not afforded the opportunity to shoot longer distances yet, bullet drop calculation with a duplex reticle is a bit of a mystery.

I stumbled onto a article where the author does a nice job of explaining how to do it, and to practice for it. I was wondering if this is the method you guys also use. I am also curious how you deal with magnification, or do you just keep your scope at 3x, 4x, or something else, and just do not touch it. I will be living in Montana in less than a year, so I hope to put this method to actual use. I suspect when I start hunting there, I will limit my shots to 350 yards max. The scope on my 308 is Leupold VX3i, 4x10.

Thanks

Pete

You can measure the distance from center of the reticle to the bottom post plex(where the reticle gets thicker)

I do this at 25 yards and then do the math to figure out it’s MOA. It will change with magnification changes.

I use this with my handgun optics. For example with my 2x leupold on my 629pc 44 magnum I zero 3” high at 50 yards. This puts me dead on at 100. At 150 the horizontal cross hair goes on a 15” back to brisket animals back. At 200 the post plex is the aiming point.

the leupold 2x handgun scope is 12 moa from center to post plex.

Some write their bullet drop and tape it on their stock for reference. Then use a range finder. The human brain is Usually quite poor at judging distance.

In Montana, wind can be the real challenge.

Ive found magnification to be a personal preference. I like it turned up if I can, my buddy likes it about 6X.

My VXI scopes have a post at 4 moa

i tend to dial for a point blank range out to 250-300 yds depending on caliber and species. Then I figure out where my 4 moa reticle post hits, usually around 400 yards ish. That and some practice should take care of 99% of hunting shots.

@peterk1234 I use the strelok app. I am currently switching to the same scope, but plan on getting a cds dial for it. I realized I never looked at marks and prefer the clean lines of the duplex. Leupold also has detailed moa data for their scopes on their website.

@peterk1234 I use the strelok app. I am currently switching to the same scope, but plan on getting a cds dial for it. I realized I never looked at marks and prefer the clean lines of the duplex. Leupold also has detailed moa data for their scopes on their website.

I am tempted to try the CDS as well once I have my load worked up. Figuring though that being able to just look through it and not have to adjust anything could be a very useful skill. Hunting beyond 20 yards will be a whole new world for me. I suppose at 300 yards though you probably have a bit more time available to make adjustments.

I'm pretty simple. I shoot 308 as well. I zero in at 200 yards. I only shoot out to about 300 yards on an ideal shot. So I am for the vitals for all ranges and if I'm getting close to 300 yards out I tend to aim just a little higher on the animal.

Works great for me, but I do wish I had a better reticle, but for what I really need, it does fine.

What round do you like to shoot? I can help work you through it if you'd like?

If you want 340 yards to be your max distance sight your rifle in 3.5 inches high at 100yards. You would most likely hit a paper plate every shot by holding dead on from 1 yard to 350yards

I'm pretty simple. I shoot 308 as well. I zero in at 200 yards. I only shoot out to about 300 yards on an ideal shot. So I am for the vitals for all ranges and if I'm getting close to 300 yards out I tend to aim just a little higher on the animal.

Works great for me, but I do wish I had a better reticle, but for what I really need, it does fine.

What round do you like to shoot? I can help work you through it if you'd like?
Hornady 165 grain bobtail bullet and IMR4895. I am settling on 41.0 grains I think. I getting pretty good consistency and even if am off a half grain it does not seem to have any ill effect. I am not married to the bullet and weight, although it seems like a very good all-around bullet for any animal.

I am tempted to try the CDS as well once I have my load worked up. Figuring though that being able to just look through it and not have to adjust anything could be a very useful skill. Hunting beyond 20 yards will be a whole new world for me. I suppose at 300 yards though you probably have a bit more time available to make adjustments.
That’s my thinking too. Not going to make off hand shots that far so I “should/hope to” have time to make that dial adjustment.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back