Dumping Cable TV

Gunner46

My TV/Internet bill just jumped to $189 a month. I watch about 5-6 channels, but use the net like hell. This is a $60 increase in just 2 years! More than my car payment.

NOPE.

I'm thinking of dumping the TV all together, either getting an antenna or just getting an el-cheapo laptop and plugging it in. With unlimited net I have Netflix, TubiTv, YouTube....and save about $120 a month!

Anyone made the jump ?

We haven’t had cable or satellite in our 4 years of marriage. We’ve had the antenna the whole time and get the 4 major networks and a few other channels. We’ve had Netflix (dvd mail) the whole time and also got Netflix a couple years ago when we finally got internet. My $60 blue ray player has YouTube app and I’ve watched quite a bit of that as well. So we pay less than $30 a month for Netflix. We don’t watch it much during the summer but do watch it more during the cold winter months. I don’t know if I’ll ever get cable or satellite. So I say go for it.

$189 is a huge dent in the budget of a retiree ... unless you're a couch potato and that's all you do. Dump it!

BTW, just think what that $189 a month would do to increase your IRA or other savings.

No disrespect intended, but that much for TV seems really foolish ... unless you are a one-percenter! :D

We had cable when we got married but would go 3-4 days without turning our 1 tv on. We dumped cable and got a Roku for 25$. That lets us have YouTube and we share a Netflix account with another couple. We already had amazon prime for the shipping. When my wife was on maternity leave she wanted tv so we got sling tv for $25/month.
Next month we are going to try just having our cellphones since we can make them a hotspot and get “unlimited” data.

My wife and I dropped cable 3 years ago and have zero regrets. Bought a couple antennas on Amazon along with a firestick for like $50-$60 total. Great decision. Alot of money thrown out the window with cable over the years especially for people who are outside alot and rarely watch tv anyways. Still get all the football games and have more money to go towards tags 👌

My TV/Internet bill just jumped to $189 a month. I watch about 5-6 channels, but use the net like hell. This is a $60 increase in just 2 years! More than my car payment.

NOPE.

I'm thinking of dumping the TV all together, either getting an antenna or just getting an el-cheapo laptop and plugging it in. With unlimited net I have Netflix, TubiTv, YouTube....and save about $120 a month!

Anyone made the jump ?

I dropped cable about 7 years ago. I have and internet bill, and then run Netflix ($13/Mo), and amazon prime, youtube, and antenna TV, which are free. Never missed cable. When I travel and stay somewhere, I get reminded how much cable sucks. Make the switch, you'll be happier and save some $$$.

We swapped to internet tv and saved over $100 a month. We have Hulu and Netflix but I usually watch YouTube.

I never had TV til a couple years ago,besides the 3 stations we got in CA.Still get Netflix...
Had cell & internet via hotspot when I got here,but service went to what you would expect in remote NM,with roaming.
I got dish 4 yrs ago w/hughs internet. I listen to alot of xm,watch a few shows out of 9k...lol I do like movies.
I stream podcasts & do a lot of research via internet.
Cell w/ useless internet here is $50. I added wifi recently to get cell service in emergency,but it does not get enough signal for internet.... Dish has lost HBO but is $80 Hughs has gone up to $40.
They just put up a huge tower in Pie Town & locals are hoping for decent cell service & streaming. I somehow doubt it will get decent for a awhile.
I would probably get way better service in a town,but I would eat the difference in restaurants I think....lol.

NOPE.

Anyone made the jump ?
I bundled t.v and internet with dishnet. I still have dishnets cheapest t.v package for about $50 a month. about another $55 for internet includes local, fx, tnt. amc, scifi,tbs ,lifetime,paramount and much more .

I also got the amazon prime($139 a year ) and stream lots of movies and tv series. just the free shipping alone generally pays for the prime membership.

I believe cable and satellite is soon to be a thing of the past ,like black and white t.v and flip phones

Between the antenna and Sling TV for $25 a month I watch everything I watched with cable. Add Prime and Netflix and I got way to much TV for anyone to watch.

When we cut the cord two years ago we got a OTA DVR so I could still record content that came through the antenna. The DVR also serves as a platform to access Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, etc.

I miss all the college football I don't get from the sports channels I don't get anymore, but not enough to justify paying the extra $100+ a month. Especially once you consider the savings have financed a lot of First Lite purchases over the last couple of years.

We dropped cable over a year ago. We have prime video, Hulu and Netflix and it’s all we need.

Finally switched last week. Netflix, Amazon, and sprung for Hulu live and get 99% of what I had for 50% the cost. No brainer.

We are dumping cable at the end of the week and going to satellite. With Bresnan, our internet and phone keeps dropping and they want to blame it on voltage in our lines. We had cable 16 years and no issues until recently. We will never again have phone and internet with cable again. Cost set aside, their service is horrible and I can't see paying close to 200 a month for what I was getting. Once our trial period with the satellite is over we plan to trim way back to just the basic. In our area you can't get antenna service anymore as all the local stations scrambled their frequencies and require a box to decode the signal.

We dropped cable/satellite a few years ago. Used an antenna for a while but ultimately ended up with Amazon Fire TV. To cut a few bucks, we split some services/apps with friends. We traded our Hulu login for HBO. A group of us split MLBTV so instead of paying $120/yr, we only throw $10ea into the pot.

We dumped TV 6 years ago now and have not missed it at all. There is very little “digital entertainment” in our house.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Irish-Jay
Back