Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Dumb question with past leftover lists

get-n-birdy

Do any states, wy co or mt, keep records of the original numbers on their leftover lists that's available to the public?

Finally got gohunt and it's a great tool. But would like to see the trends of leftover lists for the last 2-3 years and can't seem to find any data on that?

With so many ways tags get on the leftover list, would be nice to be able to see the historic data on that, not only the draw stats for those of us who aren't to proud to hunt off a leftover tag opportunity.

Colorado you would have to look at the drawn out at stats. Wyoming also has the drawn out at stats. Doesn’t give exact numbers but you could see if they hit leftovers or how many points it took to draw.

Thanks

Hard to iron out the discrepancies from leftover lists and stats, and would love an easier way to just see the original leftover list that the departments put out annually vs just deciphering stats the following year. Will start saving and printing those from now on to see any trends just for the kicks and giggles.

They are rolling lists updated everyday and at multiple times during the day as tags go away and more are added. The number at the beginning does not necessarily represent the total number of leftover tags in that unit.

In the past, Colorado held a leftover draw available only to those who applied unsuccessfully in the initial draw and chose the leftover draw option over a refund. They mailed a paper copy of the leftover list to those eligible people. There was no list published in digital format until after the leftover draw was complete and prior to the OTC leftover sales beginning in August.

For the first time this year, there will be a leftover draw available to everyone, and the leftover list will be published.

In the past, Colorado held a leftover draw available only to those who applied unsuccessfully in the initial draw and chose the leftover draw option over a refund. They mailed a paper copy of the leftover list to those eligible people. There was no list published in digital format until after the leftover draw was complete and prior to the OTC leftover sales beginning in August.

For the first time this year, there will be a leftover draw available to everyone, and the leftover list will be published.

Oh man, didn’t know that, that changes things. Not sure if I like that or not.

MT: Surplus tag lists can be sourced from Helena, you can call up licensing. As with CO, it will change as tags are sold, so make sure you get the first one put out.

It's interesting the states still have leftover tags in decent areas at all with the demand for tags.

There's got to be a list of those initial listings with tag numbers somewhere you'd sure think.

More curious for elk than anything, but it'd be nice to see deer and antelope too.

It's interesting the states still have leftover tags in decent areas at all with the demand for tags.

There's got to be a list of those initial listings with tag numbers somewhere you'd sure think.

More curious for elk than anything, but it'd be nice to see deer and antelope too.

Colorado provides hunters with a ton of flexibility with regard to returning licenses... honestly a stupid amount, a lot of people gunning for trophy animals are drawing tags scouting all summer and then returning them and getting all their points back. I got a returned license in a 5pt resident unit last year. I kept a tally and something like 50-75% of the original tags were returned because people weren't finding that 200in deer they had hoped for... Colorado is the extreme example of why it's a bad idea to let people return tags.

Also there is something screwy with CPW because they are supposed to only release 5 point or worse tags to the public and then tags 5 pts or better go to someone who had applied for the tag but wasn't drawn, and I know for a fact of several people who got 17pt deer tags off the list, and I saw them on the list myself.

Colorado provides hunters with a ton of flexibility with regard to returning licenses... honestly a stupid amount, a lot of people gunning for trophy animals are drawing tags scouting all summer and then returning them and getting all their points back. I got a returned license in a 5pt resident unit last year. I kept a tally and something like 50-75% of the original tags were returned because people weren't finding that 200in deer they had hoped for... Colorado is the extreme example of why it's a bad idea to let people return tags.

Also there is something screwy with CPW because they are supposed to only release 5 point or worse tags to the public and then tags 5 pts or better go to someone who had applied for the tag but wasn't drawn, and I know for a fact of several people who got 17pt deer tags off the list, and I saw them on the list myself.

I was told they offer it two a second and possibly a third person and if they turn it down also it goes to the leftover list.

You can file a Colorado Open Records Act (CORA) request. They are required to send responsive documents within 3 days unless it's a time-intensive request. Just ask for the list that was sent to unsuccessful applicants after the primary draw. Frankly, it has almost become easier to do that rather than emailing the person directly who will be responsible for fulfilling the CORA request.
I was told they offer it two a second and possibly a third person and if they turn it down also it goes to the leftover list.

They offer 5+ point licenses to the first 5 alternate people from the initial draw, and then if not claimed they are added to the leftover list. Two reasons you see those show up on the list: first, a surprising number of alternates turn them down because of short notice, have already made other plans, etc. Second, regardless of the number of licenses returned, they only contact 5 people. A couple of years ago there were over 30 unit 61 1st rifle bull licenses that hit the leftover list the day before the season. They would have only contacted 5 people before adding all of those licenses to the list.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ColtenGilbert
Back