Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Duck Study

Oak

Expert
Here's an article about a study a friend of mine (Matt Brekke) is working on in eastern Colorado.

A disturbing trend for hunters
Study takes aim at ducks' reaction to agitation along South Platte Valley
By Charlie Meyers
Denver Post Outdoors Editor
10/28/2006

Crook - Ducks aren't as dumb as they look.

Of course, no one has to convince Colorado duck hunters on the eve of Friday's opening of the second segment of the Eastern Plains Zone season.

After all, these are the same guys who managed just six-tenths of a duck per outing last season, which translates roughly to one very thin duck dinner every second trip.

So who's fooling whom?

It's a matter that raises grave concerns among wildlife managers worried that continued lack of success will make duck hunters an endangered species.

More recently, Colorado Wildlife commissioner Brad Coors raised the possibility of alternating hunting pressure as a way to keep birds in place.

Question is, will this strategy work? To find out, the Colorado Division of Wildlife has funded a study of duck habits along the South Platte River Valley, specifically how they are affected by hunter disturbance.

Rest of the article: http://www.denverpost.com/ci_4568028?source=email

After all, these are the same guys who managed just six-tenths of a duck per outing last season, which translates roughly to one very thin duck dinner every second trip.

I figure that this is a good deterrent to any serious waterfowler moving to CO. Axl would get fat living here.

Actually my outing harvest average went down today. I could have shot some teal, golden-eye and hen redheads, but came home empty-handed. Still can't complain about the season and looking forward to chasing deer for a couple weeks in SD soon.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back