Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Duck Hunting Boats HELP!

Langy

I'm looking for guidance on selecting a duck hunting river boat. I have never hunted in or owned a boat, so basic knowledge is closer to my understanding. I'm looking for a boat that can be handled by myself or one other person, not tipsy, has a motor to cruise back upstream, and versatile to different waters. Looking to hunt clarks fork of the Yellowstone, the Yellowstone around Columbus to Laurel, Missouri below Holter damn, and Freezout lake. So as shallow as 2' and deep as 6'? What is good starting out options? What type of boats are ideal? Is a drift boat a good option, or is something else recommended? I appreciate in advance, anybody's wisdom on this subject.

If you’ll be using it for fishing as well, I would think the drift boat would be the way to go. If not, a Gheenoe is a much cheaper, but solid option. I have one. Not sure if you see them out west very often.

A buddy has a War Eagle with a GoDevil surface drive. We've been over and through stuff I figured there was no way we had a shot including short overland excursions.

All in brand new I think he spent less than $10k. One thing he mentioned was he wished he bought a GoDevil boat as they are a bit thicker hull than the War Eagles.

14-16' jon boat with a surface drive would be great for hunting. Take off the surface drive in the summer and throw on a 25 hp outboard and get out fishin.

IMG-20190202-104602.jpg

IMG-0530.jpg

It's what we do !!!!!!

Get a welded aluminum boat, not riveted. Will hold up longer and hold together better if you hit a stump, rock, etc.

Get a “Vee” front, not flat. Better for navigating through timber or buck brush.

After that depends on water depth and distance to your spot. Either Surface drive or outboard.

For how big, depends on where your hunting. I want as small as possible to be low profile. If your hunting a big river or bay get a bigger boat for those windy days.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back