Duck hunters robbed

Wow. Between this and the Reelfoot stuff...
We unload once we get back to the truck around here...that would have been bad for the robbers.
I'm betting the Reelfoot guy will be found with a self inflicted wound, he's older and just lost it I'm guessing and then, regretted it....I could be wrong though. Crazy world!!

They found him. No cause of death but you're probably right.

I suppose if they just shot your buddy in the leg and your shotgun is unloaded and cased, you hand over your money...

Can't say as I generally carry alot of cash when duck hunting though... :rolleyes:

Or you and your other two buddies pull their loaded pistols and blow them away, just as they trained to do it in this circumstance?

I've never been in that situation, but I'll wager that's easier said than done, when someone's pointing a gun at you. Hopefully I never find out!
I'm sure you are right. I've only had to rely on a firearm once, when I was riding my dirtbike and came across a man chasing a young girl through the woods. I had the advantage of heavy cover and a cause worth dying for. Getting robbed carries far less weight.

We unload once we get back to the truck around here...that would have been bad for the robbers.
In NC we have the odd game warden who thinks he's Wyatt Earp and would cite anyone with a loaded gun after legal shooting hours or if on a road right of way, both acts which are against the law but they won't cut anyone any slack if a bit slow to unload. Other wardens are more tolerant but beware the young warden in a situation like that, he has to establish some creds with his super.

In NC we have the odd game warden who thinks he's Wyatt Earp and would cite anyone with a loaded gun after legal shooting hours or if on a road right of way, both acts which are against the law but they won't cut anyone any slack if a bit slow to unload.
I've never understood this law, like I get it poaching, but the mechanism. Are they allowed to have this law because you are on public land, and it's a "term" of the permission to access said land? @VikingsGuy

In NC we have the odd game warden who thinks he's Wyatt Earp and would cite anyone with a loaded gun after legal shooting hours or if on a road right of way, both acts which are against the law but they won't cut anyone any slack if a bit slow to unload. Other wardens are more tolerant but beware the young warden in a situation like that, he has to establish some creds with his super.
That’s crazy I never thought of that being a issue having your gun loaded during non shooting hrs or on a road right of way good to know though.

I’ve never heard of anyone being cited for having a loaded gun after shooting hours...and I’m sure nothing to that effect appears in our regulations digest.

I've never understood this law, like I get it poaching, but the mechanism. Are they allowed to have this law because you are on public land, and it's a "term" of the permission to access said land? @VikingsGuy
It's part of a "prosecutor always wins" approach to criminal law that has shaped the last 40 years of criminal law.

By way of example, it starts with "armed robbery is illegal", but then some guy commits robbery with a gun replica and gets off (let's ignore lesser included charges for the purpose of the example) so the law becomes "armed robbery is illegal even if you are not armed but if someone may believe you are armed", but then some guy is about to committ armed robbery but the cops catch him just before the act, no crime, no conviction so we need a law that says "planning an armed robbery is illegal", but then we didn't have evidence of planning so the law then needs to be that it is a crime "to be armed after dark outside your home", etc etc etc. The law just moves further and further away from the actual crime to make sure they can convict anyone they suspect. And since no one likes armed robbery why not - except then some over active cop starts nailing guys on the way home from Wednesday night skeet league. It is happening in almost every area of law and regulation.

I have no doubt that every 50 year old in America has committed a federal crime at some point in their life - even if they didn't know it. With thousands of laws/regulations, criminalizing of regulatory frameworks, changes in laws to make the laws broader and more prosecutor friendly everytime there is a failure to convict - it has gotten out of hand frankly.

Last edited:
I’m going out on limb here and guess you haven’t spent a lot of time in the rural cackalackeys. It’s “was”, as in “was you gun’ bye some peanuts, darlin’?”
That’s purdy good!!!!

I’m going out on limb here and guess you haven’t spent a lot of time in the rural cackalackeys. It’s “was”, as in “was you gun’ bye some peanuts, darlin’?”

source.gif

I'm betting the Reelfoot guy will be found with a self inflicted wound, he's older and just lost it I'm guessing and then, regretted it....I could be wrong though. Crazy world!!
I think they found him dead in another nearby pond/ lake.

I’ve never heard of anyone being cited for having a loaded gun after shooting hours...and I’m sure nothing to that effect appears in our regulations digest.
I have a large extended family, the majority of which hunt, and have been going afield with a firearm for 66 years. Several have been cited by wardens for marginal reasons. I myself have been cited twice by zealous wardens who had their own interpretation of the laws. Both cases were thrown out of court by the judges who were intelligent enough to see the frivolity of the charges so all it cost me was the lost vacation days for the court appearances, two trips out of town, and the associated angst. It does happen, but we're getting away from the topic of the post.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back