NEW SITKA Ambient 75

DT Jr. on Meateater

Status
Not open for further replies.
Though you can get back dove season back at any time if folks want it, one vote and you're back hunting...not quite the same with the Berkeley pit.
The Berkley pit is often brung up during any discussion on mining. That particular mine was permitted in 1955, long before the CWA and other regulations existed. Why not talk about the Stillwater Mine, which mines sulfide based ores and is located on the Stillwater and Boulder rivers? Both rivers have excellent trout fishing and are tributaries of the Yellowstone river. Neither is polluted and the mine is a good steward.

The Berkley pit is often brung up during any discussion on mining. That particular mine was permitted in 1955, long before the CWA and other regulations existed. Why not talk about the Stillwater Mine, which mines sulfide based ores and is located on the Stillwater and Boulder rivers? Both rivers have excellent trout fishing and are tributaries of the Yellowstone river. Neither is polluted and the mine is a good steward.

I grew up doing water quality monitoring down stream from a Superfund site in Colorado, so I have a pretty negative relationship with mines.

Also I've been out to Adak, not exactly a remediation success story.
1597175144290.png1597175159194.png

I can't imagine a successful mine in AK, I can easily imagine a mine that makes a bunch of money for a while and then gets completely abandoned once it's not profitable... or you know earthquakes.

Stillwater and boulder are still in the making money phase, will be interesting to see how it looks in 50 years.

I grew up doing water quality monitoring down stream from a Superfund site in Colorado, so I have a pretty negative relationship with mines.

Also I've been out to Adak, not exactly a remediation success story.
View attachment 150087View attachment 150088

I can't imagine a successful mine in AK, I can easily imagine a mine that makes a bunch of money for a while and then gets completely abandoned once it's not profitable... or you know earthquakes.

Stillwater and boulder are still in the making money phase, will be interesting to see how it looks in 50 years.
Again, you are talking about historic mines and an unrelated Superfund site.
It's easy to be phobic, but like I said earlier. We have a permit process that works. Let's follow it.
It's also worth noting g that even if Pebble gets the green light from the fed's they still have to secure a state permit and they also have to secure land to build a access road on. Land, which in part is controlled by natives who are not exactly enthused by the idea.
My gut tells me this mine will never happen, but you never know.

Last edited:
You mean you don't want to camp under a solar panel? :LOL: The solar industry is realizing they have a lot of available space on the tops of buildings. Its just a matter of incentives. Hopefully we all figure it out soon or Miami is going to be a swamp.

I wonder how many of the proposals Pacificorp is going to move forward on will be from rooftop solar vs. large solar arrays developed on public land? My bet is 0% rooftop vs 100% solar arrays on previously undisturbed land.

We are quickly going to need to replace the trope of mining and oil execs greasing the palms of government officials and change it to green energy execs. The only new public land development I see in this part of Wyoming is Wind, Solar and new transmission lines to tap into it all. Rig count in Wyo is currently 0. Solar projects continue to move forward. Only need another 4600MW of them by 2024 to meet Pac's goals.

This is the line that popped up between Big Fin's last two Wyoming elk hunts

Wonder how Donald Junior feels about these projects? Sure don't hear much opposition from the usual suspects when it O&G or mining.

I wonder how many of the proposals Pacificorp is going to move forward on will be from rooftop solar vs. large solar arrays developed on public land? My bet is 0% rooftop vs 100% solar arrays on previously undisturbed land.

We are quickly going to need to replace the trope of mining and oil execs greasing the palms of government officials and change it to green energy execs. The only new public land development I see in this part of Wyoming is Wind, Solar and new transmission lines to tap into it all. Rig count in Wyo is currently 0. Solar projects continue to move forward. Only need another 4600MW of them by 2024 to meet Pac's goals.

This is the line that popped up between Big Fin's last two Wyoming elk hunts

Wonder how Donald Junior feels about these projects? Sure don't hear much opposition from the usual suspects when it O&G or mining.
Agree it is very complicated. There are no "easy" solutions. What annoys me is usual complaints about the total cost or tax breaks/picking winners and losers. O7G have gotten and continue to get government assistance in various ways through the tax code. As for the cost, I would rather spend a couple of trillion training people to install solar panels than pay them in unemployment. At least we get a return from the former. The cost is only prohibitive when it benefits "the other side". Im getting sick of the whole thing and it's only August. We just don't make any progress toward real solutions, as imperfect as those solutions may be.

Pacificorp

Owned by Scottish Power, subsidiary of Iberdrola whose biggest investor is Qatar Investment Holdings... who I'm sure don't have anything to do with OG development lol.

Correction they were purchased by Berkshire Hathaway Energy.... who also bought, Dominion, and has a major stake in Oxy.

It's all same folks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would rather spend a couple of trillion training people to install solar panels than pay them in unemployment.

Or you could give them 3 quarters of a billion and get both, people who are trained and unemployed.

You are correct in that their are no easy answers. We have been trying to pick winners and losers for a long time. Both sides have a similar batting average.

So meddling by people unqualified to make a sound judgement is OK as long as you agree with the outcome? This is dangerous on several levels.
I simply don't think the level of risk allowed by the permitting process, in this case, is acceptable. The fact that we've been talking about this mine for years and years just adds to my feeling that the process is flawed. Some things are just too valuable to mess with. Maybe if the number of healthy salmon runs was going solidly up, around the world, I'd feel like a bit more risk was reasonable... But, they're not. The idea that precious metals that will line the pockets of a foreign company, for a short time, could be worth risking a resource that is so important to the future of many species, that has great value, in perpetuity, to the people of Alaska, is so ridiculous to me, that saying it's a bad idea just doesn't cover it. It's offensive. I understand why you disagree about the process, though and I respect your opinion.

You actually don't know which company will mine it if it goes. It won't be Northern Dynasty as they are not a mining company, but rather an exploration company. It also will be around for more than a few decades. It is really a massive project. As for the timeline. These sort of projects always are subject to litigation and a drawn out process. Feeling the process is flawed and it actually being flawed are two different things. Objectively, the EIS found the mine will not negatively impact salmon runs. Are you aware of anything factual that refutes this?

You actually don't know which company will mine it if it goes. It won't be Northern Dynasty as they are not a mining company, but rather an exploration company. It also will be around for more than a few decades. It is really a massive project. As for the timeline. These sort of projects always are subject to litigation and a drawn out process. Feeling the process is flawed and it actually being flawed are two different things. Objectively, the EIS found the mine will not negatively impact salmon runs. Are you aware of anything factual that refutes this?
I think you're missing the crux of my opinion. Successful operation of the mine may not negatively impact salmon runs, but there's no guarantee that things will run smoothly. You're talking about storing tremendous amounts of toxic material behind earthen dams in an active earthquake zone, just to name one risk. The fact is, things have a way of going wrong and there's a long, long history of copper mines polluting the water around them. I'm saying that for me, even the (perhaps) small chance of something going wrong is an unacceptable amount of risk given how precious the resource is. And "a few decades" is a the blink of an eye compared to how long salmon can be a vital resource for the people there (not that salmon are the only thing at risk).

I am not that informed on the Pebble issue, but for anyone interested, here is one side. Podcast is mostly about wildlife photography, but they discuss Pebble in this episode. People that laugh at themselves while they talk is like nails on a chalkboard for me. 😬

Always interested in rebuttals.

All this wind and solar is the classic sometimes the devil you know is better than the devil you don't know when you look back 15 to 20 years and are honest about your thoughts in regards to the oil & gas development in the red desert and other areas.

I think you're missing the crux of my opinion. Successful operation of the mine may not negatively impact salmon runs, but there's no guarantee that things will run smoothly. You're talking about storing tremendous amounts of toxic material behind earthen dams in an active earthquake zone, just to name one risk. The fact is, things have a way of going wrong and there's a long, long history of copper mines polluting the water around them. I'm saying that for me, even the (perhaps) small chance of something going wrong is an unacceptable amount of risk given how precious the resource is. And "a few decades" is a the blink of an eye compared to how long salmon can be a vital resource for the people there (not that salmon are the only thing at risk).

Not to mention the toxic wastes need to be stored in perpetuity

Finally got to listen to the podcast. Don Jr did come off as a legit hunter and sounded pretty good. However, Steve did basically lob in softball questions. As a side note, might just be me, but it seems like Steve Rinella gets a little more full of himself each episode.

I would rather listen to a Hal Herring interview with Donald Trump Jr

Finally got to listen to the podcast. Don Jr did come off as a legit hunter and sounded pretty good. However, Steve did basically lob in softball questions. As a side note, might just be me, but it seems like Steve Rinella gets a little more full of himself each episode.

I would rather listen to a Hal Herring interview with Donald Trump Jr
100% on all accounts. Steve's head is going to inflate himself out of an audience.

Finally had some time to listen to this. My two cents that are worth nothing:

1. I enjoyed this honesty and human side in the part about Jason Hairston. Losing someone to suicide is brutal, and I can well imagine how tough it's been to lose a good friend to this.
2. I appreciate his support for access to public lands.
3. I believe he is sincere in his passion for hunting and shooting and am glad he publicly advocates for such.
4. I got tired of his hyperbole.
5. His comparisons of the Trump administration to the Obama administration were highly skewed.
6. I found a great deal of irony in him lamenting the misrepresentation of his African hunts, given the propensity for his father to propagate misinformation.
7. I agree with him in that the folks who love their AR15s should be a little nervous should Biden win in November.
8. I agree with hi energy development is important.
9. I felt he was very cavalier about the impacts of energy development.
10. I'm tired of the victim card. Yes, Trump can do little right in the eyes of CNN just as Obama could do little right in the eyes of Fox News. That's life.

Like the Mike Lee interview, there were a lot of softballs and not many challenging questions.

Too much pacified cheerio banter building on the earlier value of these podcasts.
It's as if hosts weigh the questions on the future opportunities to host others. Why agree to an interview if its expected you might be hosed with heavy Qs?

Slow pitch Qs are becoming the theme...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back