Drought for the west

Still raining all day. Long power outage. I got the coffee done at 4:30AM exactly. I pulled the carafe out and out went the lights. It's a good thing, too. Nobody likes my camp pour-overs.

The thermometer on the porch says 39°F here at 2850 elevation. Those bears ought to show up nicely on the white background if you can get up that high.

Our tributary of the Palouse crested overnight. Lots of water on the road still this morning and the gravel roads washed out. At least one of my neighbors had water lapping at the door or coming in.

I feel for those folks in Red Lodge. And those who aren't getting a drop.

It looks like it would have included this past weekend since it says friday June 10 on the upper right? Found this one which still shows a lot of precip.

View attachment 225876
ah, good call. Definitely less for some areas, quite a bit more for some areas! NW Montana getting 7" of rain on snow? F-in' crazy. Even another 1" in the yellowstone country isn't going to be good.

Man, it is either feast or famine. Sorry to see the property damage. We sure could use some more moisture here. Have had black clouds, thunder and lightning multiple times over the past 2 weeks and nothing for moisture. Drive 2 miles North and the have water standing in fields and mud puddles all over town. Our valley here gets neglected... a lot.

Bureau of Reclamation Commissioner Camille Calimlim Touton said during a Senate hearing in Washington that federal officials now believe protecting “critical levels” at the country’s largest reservoirs — Lake Mead and Lake Powell — will require much larger reductions in water deliveries.

“A warmer, drier West is what we are seeing today,” Touton told the Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee. “And the challenges we are seeing today are unlike anything we have seen in our history.”

The needed cuts, she said, amount to between 2 million and 4 million acre-feet next year.

For comparison, California is entitled to 4.4 million acre-feet of Colorado River water per year, while Arizona’s allotment is 2.8 million.

Major water cutbacks loom as shrinking Colorado River nears ‘moment of reckoning’

Still very little rain here in UT. Had a very small amount this last weekend, but virtually nothing predicted over the next 10 days. Hopefully that changes. Thoughts out to everyone dealing with the opposite problem in MT, ID, and WY. Be safe up there.

So it starts. Monsoons.
Watching red ,yellow & lots of green flowing north on the news/weather radar.
Each day filled with clouds/lightning & rain for the week. The guy says, and through next week.

It should at least get us back to extreme & severe on the drought scale.
A few years of this with decent snowpacks and we could get out of this drought.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back