Drought for the west

yeah, no bueno.

things can change, they did in 2022 around this time, but that early melt killed us.

my mind is already prepping for a dry year. on the positive, those northwest colorado and southern wyoming herds could use a break.

1704234850600.png

They haven’t been able to open some of the ski hills here yet. It’s the least amount of snow that I’ve seen since living in MT.

Snow is sort of an odd herd health item. In the winter you hear about how the bad snows and depth hurts wildlife but then in the spring you hear about times when snow isn't deep enough to provide the moisture for plant growth and in turn wildlife summer feed.

Is this all simply driven by thr fact that so much of wildlife winter habitat is used by livestock and humans?

Snow is sort of an odd herd health item. In the winter you hear about how the bad snows and depth hurts wildlife but then in the spring you hear about times when snow isn't deep enough to provide the moisture for plant growth and in turn wildlife summer feed.

Is this all simply driven by thr fact that so much of wildlife winter habitat is used by livestock and humans?
A person's perception is probably driven by what they care about. A lot of snow melt water is diverted for irrigation and a lot of that becomes feed and wintering ground for cattle. That certainly matters. If you're a fisherman, the current year is horrible. No snow pack in mtns and higher temps will simply result in closures earlier in the year. If you are a hunter, it might be fine at first glance because animals can find feed higher and in sanctuary due to lack of snow. But it comes back to bite you in the fall because source streams at high altitude start drying up fast and it pushes the animals to lower private sooner. Moisture for plant growth isn't usually an issue (or undetermined until spring) for higher elevation, but in a dry summer when ground water starts to fall and trees start to dry out the entire forest becomes a big match. It's all a balancing act. Last year was too much. This year too little. Lots of moisture coming in this week though.

It's all about timing and "balance".
I have heard that early snow (Dec) is better than late (Mar). I assume this is because the snow can get pushed around and packed by the wind, but I'm not sure. If that is the case then 23-24 might be in bad shape and there isn't much that can change it? Time will tell. Fingers crossed.

I have heard that early snow (Dec) is better than late (Mar). I assume this is because the snow can get pushed around and packed by the wind, but I'm not sure. If that is the case then 23-24 might be in bad shape and there isn't much that can change it? Time will tell. Fingers crossed.

A big part of it is the food sources/fat reserves. The majority of deer/elk will have fat reserves and can get through a few months no problem on a starvation diet. I think I remember reading that they can go about 3 months with virtually no food. Metabolism starts kicking in in the spring with longer days so if there is late snow their won't be anything to eat and that is when they starve.

he does know "western US" is more than the "west coast" right?

i'm remaining "cautiously pessimistic" - do or die time for the headwaters states from colorado to montana fast approaches and the temp is soaring to 62 degrees on this 30th day of january in the dead of winter. i'm not ready to call it "good" due to heavy precipitation on the west coast - unless he really is only referring to the west coast.

1706633075535.png
1706633221937.png

he does know "western US" is more than the "west coast" right?

i'm remaining "cautiously pessimistic" - do or die time for the headwaters states from colorado to montana fast approaches and the temp is soaring to 62 degrees on this 30th day of january in the dead of winter. i'm not ready to call it "good" due to heavy precipitation on the west coast - unless he really is only referring to the west coast.

View attachment 313147
View attachment 313149
I think he was really only referring to the west coast. You Coloradoans are damn near as close to the Atlantic as the Pacific.
Still MT appears to be the only truly F-ed state right now.

I think he was really only referring to the west coast. You Coloradoans are damn near as close to the Atlantic as the Pacific.
Still MT appears to be the only truly F-ed state right now.
Problem is most of the Coloradoans are from California so they still identify as west coast in their new home.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back