Drop camp vs DIY

ridge63

I've been in contact with an outfitter in regards to a drop camp. But then I look at the cost and wonder if just packing in myself and if the money is worth it. I guess what I'm trying to decide if is other guys can do it, so can I as far as DIY. Or would I just pay for a horse ride and bigger tent for a drop tent and is it worth it?

For elk,we have been much more successful on drop camps than DIY hunts The outfitters know the area a lot better than us and put us in good camps..Yes more money but worth it.

We have been doing a drop camp for the past couple of years. They get us into a good drainage 13 miles back in. I'd like to do a DIY sometime but I just can't let go of the opportunity to get back in to a good place with no other hunters.

Just out of curiosity, what do they charge for a drop camp service? is it by the mile, etc?

I'm curious of the cost as well and what they claim their success rate is. Also which state are you referring too?

They're are no success rates, it's all on you. They provide the horses, tent, the ride back in, but the hunting is on you. I'm looking at an area near Durango in the Weminuche Wilderness. The cost is about $2100 for the last week of archery, I'm by myself so I don't have a bigger party - some times the price is lower. My DIY hunt costs about half of that two years ago.

Most run between $1400-$2200 each depending on location ,how many in group.

I hired one guy as a pack service,he packed our gear ,food ,tent and us in 11 miles for $450 each.packed our elk out for $150 each.

I've used packing services and gone DIY and, at least in my mind, the issue boils down to getting the elk out of the backcountry. In archery season, you can probably load up a backpack and get your stuff into the backcountry and have an adequate camp. But if you're hunting the Weminuche, it's big, high-elevation country. Especially if you're alone, getting an elk out could be a long, multi-day affair. Then you still gotta get your camp out. The drop camp (or horse-packing services if you have your own camp) start to look more and more attractive. If you do have your own camping equipment, ask them about simply packing your stuff and your elk. That's how I've done it in the past (including in the Weminuche during archery) and saved money that way.

Last edited:
They're are no success rates, it's all on you. They provide the horses, tent, the ride back in, but the hunting is on you. I'm looking at an area near Durango in the Weminuche Wilderness. The cost is about $2100 for the last week of archery, I'm by myself so I don't have a bigger party - some times the price is lower. My DIY hunt costs about half of that two years ago.

Does that include all the food? $2100 seems kinda high for a horse ride and a tent. Even with food that seems like a lot of money. I'm cheap I guess.

Do you have to have an outfitters licence if just dropping hunters off and picking them up? This sounds like and interesting and fun business venture. Sure would get to meet a lot of good people

I've looked into this as well, I found some that are $175/day with a 5 day minimum. I think it would be worth it! Even at $2k I'd still say it's a decent deal. Of course I'll do anything to get away from the crowd.

Does that include all the food? $2100 seems kinda high for a horse ride and a tent. Even with food that seems like a lot of money. I'm cheap I guess.

I was thinking $2100 was a good deal when only 1 hunter is paying the entire freight for a guy with a string of horses to travel 26 miles to drop you 13 miles in where there are traditionally going to be in the elk far from a road and then he travels another 26 miles to get you out.

In MT and Alaska, the two states I'm familiar with, you would need to be licensed to do that. In Alaska there is a transporter license (mostly held by pilots or boat skippers) which is a lesser class of license, but you'd still be outfitting if I think if you supplied gear in the field. What I've always wondered about drop camps is what incentive do outfitters have to put you in a decent spot. Why don't they hunt there?

I have been on 2 drop camps both in Colorado. One was $1100 but he now charges $1500 and the other was $1500. No food included. To me the biggest advantage is getting a ride into the high country and a ride for a critter out if you score. They both also provided us with a large canvas tent, cots, wood stove, lanterns and fuel, and water. Remember if you go DIY you need to end up near water. The first time was late October and they brought in jugs of water because the streams were 1000ft down in a steep hole. Down side is if the elk are not there then you are kind of stuck and limited to how far you can walk. I would also find out if the drop camp will be used in other seasons prior to you being there. For example are there groups using it for 4 weeks in archery and 1st rifle before you get there 2nd season. The 2nd outfit we went with only used a camp for 1 week a year. Lot of work for him to go in and haul all that gear before we arrived and then to do it again after we left.

Regarding the question posed about "do you have to have an Outfitting License to pack someone in and out of a backcountry camp? In Colorado, the correct answer is "yes". I know, because I specifically asked a State Warden. I see it as a grey area, if you were to only pack someone where they wanted to go, and then hauled them back out. I asked the Warden if he'd feel indebted to someone if he shot an Elk in a very remote, tough location, and someone packed it out for him. Or, if you were otherwise OK, but injured your back in attempting a pack out, and couldn't continue? Wouldn't you feel like paying someone for their help? The Warden tap danced a bit with his answer, as I thought he knew it's a difficult situation, time is of essence, and most times your reasonable options are limited. I don't want to be in the Outfitting business, but I would like to help someone packing, as I just enjoy it. However, the cost of fuel in mountain horse trailer driving, and other overhead make it such that you can't donate TOO much to someone. I don't want to violate the law, but if I was helping someone, they might want to drop off a check with my hay supplier or something! Ha!

Here's my take on doing a drop camp. I think it goes in large part to the reputation of the particular outfitter. Some outfitters may do their utmost to put you in a good spot, keep their word regarding checking on you, (if you need game packed out fast), and other details of your contractual agreement. In that case, all good.
Other Outfitters may pack you into an area that is devoid of many Elk. They can't just plop you down anywhere, they have parameters to work with the Forest Service on. I know an Outfitter near here that puts hunters into a drop camp that DIY hunters can compete in that area too. That camp has been in the same spot for 25 years! So, 5 drop camp hunters are now competing with 10 hunters in the same area. I don't think that Outfitter always keeps his word on being prompt to pack out game either. His internet reviews "aren't so swell". Most will provide a tent, basic camp gear like lanterns and stoves, with your food and sleeping gear on your own. The going price around here is $1600-$2000 for a 5 day actual hunt. Not sure about tipping, but most probably do?
So, I'd be asking a lot of pertinent questions and making sure I checked references. All that said, when you KNOW you have an agreement to have your Elk packed out, FROM WHERE IT FELL DEAD, that may make the expense seem like a bargain. I used to stare down into some great Elk country, and think to myself, "I can't hunt down there, I'd never be able to carry one out this far back in the country over all the ridges at altitude". So, you might enjoy your hunt will a lot less anxiety and more success with the drop camp option.

Yes! A drop camp is worth every dime you'll spend for their services. Allows you more time to hunt by doing less on the logistics. IMHO Good huntin'

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back