Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Drop camp recommendations

bigeasygator

I know this may not be the best forum to ask since this is often a pretty dedicated DIY crowd, but I figured you guys may be in the know and wanted some opinions.

My uncle is turning 50 next year and has dreamed on hunting out west and has decided to make it happen as a birthday present to himself. I've hunted elk a number of ways (DIY, drop camp, and guided) and personally I think there's nothing more magical than taking a pack train into the September elk woods. He has two kids in college and the price on a drop camp is pretty much right on what he'd prefer to spend as well.

All that being said, do you guys have any recommended outfitters? I think we are focusing on Colorado because of the ease of acquiring tags and the fact that no one's really looking at shooting the next world record. My first elk hunt was a drop camp in the Flat Tops Wilderness and to this day was one of my all time favorite hunts. I'd prefer to stay in that area and Winterhawk Outfitters seemed to get some good reviews. I had a good experience with the outfit I went with last time as well (Lost Solar Outfitters) but also wanted to see who else was out there that people thought highly of. We'll likely be focusing on the 2nd rifle season next year. Any other outfitters/areas you guys would recommend?

Thanks as always!

Make no apologies for asking that here. I hope someone has experience in the area and can give you some input as you try to make this a special time for your uncle. Best of luck.

my drop camp recommendations

bigeasygator, I have hunted with Pack String Outfitters in 2008 in the Flat tops in unit 25. It was a great pack in by horse. The owner Partick Faast was easy to work with and the guide Ken was very good to us with getting us to camp on the horses. The camp was a two tent setup and was well furnished with cot tent and separate cook tent. You do not hunt off horses, only to get to camp which I prefer. My other recommendation would be Bar H Outfitters, based on feedback and my talks with owner Jeannie, I think this is another great option that is further north in unit 12. I have not hunted there, but this is on my list if we decide to do another horseback hunt. You will need to plan ahead with Bar H as they fill up fast. Pack String 2nd season might be just as tough. Both outfitters can be found on the internet.

I've used San Juan outfitting out of Pagosa Springs hunting in the San Juan Nat'l Forest. Nice guys and a pleasant experience although none of the guys in my group took an elk that week. The guys I hunted with had used him a few times before and had some success.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisb970
Back