Driveway Buck?

Shoot buck off driveway or pass to keep hunting on public land?

• Shoot driveway buck

Votes: 31 68.9%
  • Pass on driveway buck to hunt public land

Votes: 14 31.1%

• Total voters
I used to draw the line at shooting deer from the house.

I missed out on a really nice whitetail buck. I told my dad I wasn't shooting from the bedroom window, or porch. I stepped out into the back yard and he spooked at about 150 yards. A HS kid shot him a few days later about 100 yards from the house. He was 7x8 and had 25" outside spread. Super buck for the area. His first buck too. I was happy for him.

I have zero qualms about shooting "urban" whitetails. Backyards are their natural habitat. Mule deer, I would pass. They're pets and rarely spook far.

What about yard elk or desk moose?
15542066_10211727445644329_7987973884814286038_n.jpg
313643_2684492154216_1145197172_n.jpg

I missed out on a really nice whitetail buck. I told my dad I wasn't shooting from the bedroom window, or porch. I stepped out into the back yard and he spooked at about 150 yards. A HS kid shot him a few days later about 100 yards from the house. He was 7x8 and had 25" outside spread. Super buck for the area. His first buck too. I was happy for him.

I have zero qualms about shooting "urban" whitetails. Backyards are their natural habitat. Mule deer, I would pass. They're pets and rarely spook far.

View attachment 251953
View attachment 251956
Mule deer are only just being seen in interior Alaska.. ? Idk where chugiak is and I havent looked but I’d assume from the stigma in AK with mule deer, anyone with a head on their shoulders would let them live..? I have absolutely no idea and look forward to your response. Not trying to fight just interested in how you said that. Good for the kid on his first buck, sounds big. Why exactly didn’t you want it.? Cuz it’s in its natural habitat: Your backyard?

What about the backyard elk and moose? AK gives resident OTC tags for moose right? Did you get eem?

Mule deer are only just being seen in interior Alaska.. ? Idk where chugiak is and I havent looked but I’d assume from the stigma in AK with mule deer, anyone with a head on their shoulders would let them live..? I have absolutely no idea and look forward to your response. Not trying to fight just interested in how you said that. Good for the kid on his first buck, sounds big. Why exactly didn’t you want it.? Cuz it’s in its natural habitat: Your backyard?

What about the backyard elk and moose? AK gives resident OTC tags for moose right? Did you get eem?

Look at older pics in the deer and elk threads. Bambistew is originally from MT and has seen more big bucks and bulls around than most on here. Then plenty of his moose and dall sheep threads to look at after that...

Shoot away iffin it’s really about putting meat in the freezer and notching your tag. Totally honorable.

Haul it to the taxidermist tomorrow and hang it on the wall….
Naw. Let it walk.

All good either way just my two cents.

MD have been in the inerior for a long time. Some giants exist in the Yukon as well. I doubt many/any survived last winter though. It killed off 50% of the moose in the area where they live. I know of a guy with a chalk mule deer shed antler that was picked up about 20 years ago here. Its probably 40 years old. I'd hunt MD here, no tag required, no closed season, but there are fewer of them than UL sheep in MT, and you're not glassing one up.

Whitetails thrive in urban/farm habitats and are not as easily habituated to humans as mule deer in my experience. You don't see whitetails laying around in yards very often.

I'd have shot the big buck, but didn't lose any sleep over a kid killing him. Easy come easy go.

MD have been in the inerior for a long time. Some giants exist in the Yukon as well. I doubt many/any survived last winter though. It killed off 50% of the moose in the area where they live. I know of a guy with a chalk mule deer shed antler that was picked up about 20 years ago here. Its probably 40 years old. I'd hunt MD here, no tag required, no closed season, but there are fewer of them than UL sheep in MT, and you're not glassing one up.

Whitetails thrive in urban/farm habitats and are not as easily habituated to humans as mule deer in my experience. You don't see whitetails laying around in yards very often.

I'd have shot the big buck, but didn't lose any sleep over a kid killing him. Easy come easy go.
Thats super cool. How long you lived there? Where before? Seem to know your stuff.. I got a friend outside of anchorage and another that’s Athabaskan from around Yukon I think.. if I were to ever leave Montana, it’d be Alaska…… i enjoy your pics and posts.

More of a backyard buck. My rule is to travel at least an hour from home to hunt. This time of year the rutting deer seen out the windows is more entertaining than any of the risque television.
View attachment 252005
Lol I’m just down the road! If I’m ever struggling to fill a deer tag (not often) can i give you a jingle!? 🤣😂 although, watching out the window it might entertain just like a risqué TV show 😂🤣

Seriously tho, I wonder how many of the same people we know being only a few miles away.. whatcha do for work MR Arrow?!

Seriously tho, I wonder how many of the same people we know being only a few miles away.. whatcha do for work MR Arrow?!
Likely we do. I've lived on this little island west of Gateway for 47 years now. My wife and I have been very active in the school and community. I'm retired ... so just explore Montana, hunt, and look out the window at surrounding nature.

No

View attachment 251953
View attachment 251956
Hey Rocky...Where did you go? (Have the Bullwinkle voice in your head when you read it. It's really funny 😁 😂)

Guess it just depends on what you're looking for. I hunt mostly to be out there. In fact I dread everything that comes after the shot but if I'm looking for meat, makes me no difference. I've shot several off the back porch and can't tell any difference in how they taste.

Back