Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Driveway Buck?

Shoot buck off driveway or pass to keep hunting on public land?

• Shoot driveway buck

Votes: 31 68.9%
  • Pass on driveway buck to hunt public land

Votes: 14 31.1%

• Total voters
Update: it's turning into a more stimulating hunt than just see a buck and shoot. Got home from work yesterday at about 1:30 and the buck, a smaller buck and four does were bedded down at the crest of a hill 20 yards onto my neighbor's land. I only have 5 acres so it's a pretty small shooting zone. Anyways they hung out up there all day, sometimes standing and acting like they were coming my way, getting my jimmies rustled, only to bed back down. Spending this time "stalking" them has made it much more interesting and I think I will pull the trigger if he slips up. Also my 3.5yr daughter said I should shoot it because she wants to eat it.

As for a sitrep: at 07:10 the does are bedded at the crest of a hill 30yds west of my land and 70yds west of my shooting blind. No visual confirmation of the buck yet.

Hard to say until I'm in the situation, but I think the only way I'd go after a yard buck would be with a bow. Good practice stalking and making a good shot, and even a yard buck should make you work for it with a bow.

Edit: depends on neighbor relations though. If they're already iffy, retrieving a dead deer from under the swingset may not help.

Sitrep: 07:35 they are moving closer night cross fence. The buck I was after isn't around but a nice 3x4 is up there pushing the does.

Hard to say until I'm in the situation, but I think the only way I'd go after a yard buck would be with a bow. Good practice stalking and making a good shot, and even a yard buck should make you work for it with a bow.

Edit: depends on neighbor relations though. If they're already iffy, retrieving a dead deer from under the swingset may not help.
I'm not an archer but I did think about grabbing my 4" .44mag for the challenge but at this point I'd rather just put it down than risk it. Maybe I'll practice with the .44 next year with the intent of using it if this situation pops up again.

Never been an option but I wouldn't mind the occasional driveway buck now and then. Would help to have other tags to hunt.

Sitrep: 7:50 the 3x4 got 10' from my fence and walked parallel to my land then headed off. I'll add two pick of him and if anyone has recommendations for phoneskope or similar products I'll take them.

Attachments

• KIMG0280.JPG
    5.1 MB · Views: 62
  • KIMG0277.JPG
    5 MB · Views: 56
Dude, I expect a picture tomorrow morning with a @SaskHunter or @Ben Lamb style blind photo, on your porch, with a buck just barely in view.
Followed shortly thereafter by a picture of your notched tag and the rump of a deer we cannot wait to see….

Heading out shortly for some still hunting.

Neighbor called yesterday w/a hurt doe in his hay barn, so I popped her w/a 45 and she's in the pole barn now. Burned my general tag. Shoot what makes you happy, @Ovis Venator. Or what needs to be put down. Or whatever.

We overthink this stuff.

Dude, I expect a picture tomorrow morning with a @SaskHunter or @Ben Lamb style blind photo, on your porch, with a buck just barely in view.
Followed shortly thereafter by a picture of your notched tag and the rump of a deer we cannot wait to see….

Like this? This is my elevated deck blind...

D4F4E2A3-E87B-410A-8047-0F19693C2DA2.jpeg
*my muzzleloader is unloaded

@Ovis Venator After reviewing your footage/pics, it is time to put that boy down. He is not the one that lives on your property. Drop the hammer on him. Fill that freezer!

I hunt some BLM behind a friend's 40 acres. Especially before my first success last year, she tried to convince me to join her for her morning coffee on the porch, as there was a big buck there most mornings. I didn't have the heart for it, though more than about 100 yards from the house all bets are off.

Is that a castle our there? mtmuley

Basically, it's only 9,000+ square feet though, so not quite a full-size castle. It has flame-effect outdoor lighting and everything though, and was a steal in 2020 at 6 million bucks. That's the fancy neighborhood across the road, we look across at their big houses and they gaze down on us peasants.

I literally just lived this as a cautionary tale, it has a happy ending as of yesterday evening but I'm debating on whether or not to post it.

Sitrep: 7:50 the 3x4 got 10' from my fence and walked parallel to my land then headed off. I'll add two pick of him and if anyone has recommendations for phoneskope or similar products I'll take them.
Assuming that buck is young, he really seems to have some future big buck potential

I literally just lived this as a cautionary tale, it has a happy ending as of yesterday evening but I'm debating on whether or not to post it.
Ummmm. Lemme check - judges ruling? Yup, we need a post.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back