Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Drew Wyoming Cow Elk tags for Areas 124 and 22: Need some advice

sj80

Hi all!

My 12 year old daughter applied for and drew a 124-4 tag and my son drew the 22-6. We have been hunting in West WY for a few years for Antelope. This the first time we will be hunting this area and for elk. We do a family road trip from California and is something we really look forward to.

For 124-4 the two places to stay look like to be Baggs or Rock Springs. We are thinking we might do Rock Springs. Though the daily drive to the hunt areas in the south part of the area would be long. Not sure if we could get private land access in the checkered northern part of the area. The season is long from Oct 15 to Nov 30. And the restricted area in December. Haven't figured where we would stay for Area 22 hunting. Would like to do them both in one trip if possible.

Will truly appreciate any and all advise on hunting these two areas from those who have been lucky enough to do so before or are familiar with the area. We have never tried private land access in WY while hunting for Antelope as we did not need to. Not sure if its more feasible and/or helpful for a cow elk hunt.

Very excited and looking forward to this trip!

-SJ

That would be a long drive every day from Rock Springs. There’s some super cool country in both of those areas, I would camp out and enjoy it. No reason to stay in a hotel when there’s no shortage of beautiful places to camp on BLM land.

I never use motels when I hunt in Wyoming. I got a light popup camper that I use and by time the harsh Wyoming winters come in, I am generally done hunting. Plus I like to fish and both those areas have no shortage of fishing opportunities. I second the comment on camping. There is no shortage of camping areas. Well, that is as long as you are willing to use BLM land and camp away from developed sites.

For what it’s worth, it seems like the most critical moments for elk occur first thing in the morning and just before dark so driving from Rock Springs might be a handicap. Plus if you’re going to 22 too there are no major towns nearby so a mobile camp might be needed... otherwise I would guess Baggs out of 124 might serve you better than Rock Springs IMO. In either case congrats to you and the kids and good luck!

Last edited:
Thanks all!! A camping trailer does make sense to cut on the commute time so we dont have to start driving way early in the morning. We were thinking Thanksgiving break. But wondering if there would be ice on the ground and on dirt roads making access and camping difficult.
What is your advise on which area to focus on and the timing of the trip...earlier or later?

Thanks again!

Thanks all!! A camping trailer does make sense to cut on the commute time so we dont have to start driving way early in the morning. We were thinking Thanksgiving break. But wondering if there would be ice on the ground and on dirt roads making access and camping difficult.
What is your advise on which area to focus on and the timing of the trip...earlier or later?

Thanks again!
Thanksgiving will be cold, there’s 0 doubt about that.

Welcome. Good luck on your hunt and learning it

Back