MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Drew New Mexico Unit 17 Muzzleloader Elk Tag!

brentkallred

Anyone willing to share their experiences hunting Unit 17 during mid-October? I have the Oct 19-23 season tag. Looking for general information regarding big bull behavior post-rut in that area. Do they go high into the wilderness areas or stay below 8,000 feet close to most of the water sources? Which areas tend to hold the bigger elk (areas near Magdalena, Withington or Apache Kid)? I prefer hunting the high and steep areas away from other hunters but don't want to out hike the elk!

I would venture to say that the "big bulls" post rut behavior will be the same here as in any other units they live in. Great tag you have there. I don't think you'll have to worry about out hiking the elk.

Someone should write up a little contract. 'We the people of Hunt Talk agree to supply some vague and general advice, along with a hefty dose of snark in exchange for a written report of your hunt, to include no less than two pictures and one decent paragraph. Those willing to write multiple paragraphs and post more than two photos will be entered into a drawing for a PM from one hunter who has hunted (or at least driven through) the unit in question.'

I am considering this unit for 2020, but don't own a muzzleloader and I am not sure if I am ready to invest in a muzzleloader for the one hunt.

I am considering this unit for 2020, but don't own a muzzleloader and I am not sure if I am ready to invest in a muzzleloader for the one hunt.

Do you not live in a state with a muzzleloader hunt? I own one just for the two weeks we get prior to rifle season. They're pretty cheap. If you do get one make sure it can be modified to hunt in all states you might consider in the future. For example, NM allows most modernized muzzleloaders but CO is a little more primitive.

Illinois does have a Muzzleloader season, but it is after bow season and after shotgun season........ and it is only 3 days long so I have never bought one. I am able to use my bow during this time if I had not killed anything.

With that said, I think everyone has talked me into having unit 17 as one of my options... maybe two of my options. :)

Illinois does have a Muzzleloader season, but it is after bow season and after shotgun season........ and it is only 3 days long so I have never bought one. I am able to use my bow during this time if I had not killed anything.

With that said, I think everyone has talked me into having unit 17 as one of my options... maybe two of my options. :)
You can use a muzzleloader during all the gun seasons in IL

You can use a muzzleloader during all the gun seasons in IL
This^^. I will also add that if you draw that unit it would be money well spent on the muzzleloader. Hell I'll lend you one. Drawing that tag is like winning a small lottery buying the muzzleloader will be a minor detail at that point. Good luck

This^^. I will also add that if you draw that unit it would be money well spent on the muzzleloader. Hell I'll lend you one. Drawing that tag is like winning a small lottery buying the muzzleloader will be a minor detail at that point. Good luck

Thanks!..... That is a really generous offer. I did apply for Muzzleloader season and will buy one if I do get drawn. I will have to wait for the reaction of my father if we do pull this tag as I put him on my application and he also does not have a muzzleloader. Like many of you have said, It will be a good problem to have.

On a side note, I thought muzzleloader was legal only second shotgun season and then the muzzleloader only season. I did not realize it was legal first season too..... good to know.

Thanks!..... That is a really generous offer. I did apply for Muzzleloader season and will buy one if I do get drawn. I will have to wait for the reaction of my father if we do pull this tag as I put him on my application and he also does not have a muzzleloader. Like many of you have said, It will be a good problem to have.

On a side note, I thought muzzleloader was legal only second shotgun season and then the muzzleloader only season. I did not realize it was legal first season too..... good to know.
those are the seasons you can use the blackpowder tag. You can use blAckpowder first season but have to have a shotgun tag

I have this tag this year. Unit 17 first season muzzy Elk. Anyone have any info or insight that would be greatly appreciated.

It is a great tag. The unit has huge bulls. That unit is one of the hardest to hunt In New Mexico. It is vertical for lack of a better description. There is an outfit out of Magdalena that can get you in there on horseback. I am a rifle hunter so have not done the primitive hunts. There have been ranchers in the past that have granted hunter trespass so you can get in there, but you will need to check with GF for that info.

I have this tag this year. Unit 17 first season muzzy Elk. Anyone have any info or insight that would be greatly appreciated.
I would say you can ask the original poster but I don’t think you’ll be hearing from him. This was his only post and he never replied. People aren’t willing to share much info on here because this happens too much. People get their info or insight then disappear and never contribute.

I was planning on hiking but a horse would for sure be nice. Hahaha. Wonder what the outfit is called. I tried doing some quick research and didn’t see anything.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back