Drew an Elk MZ tag... now what?

If sabots are legal these would be my choice.
Interesting, never heard of that company yet. I'll keep an eye on them. Ordered bullet and sabot combos from Barnes, Parker Productions and Harvester. Upgraded the scope to a VX freedom (small upgrade, not sure about this new Freedom line) and installed a BH209 breech plug. Hopefully something shoots.

Interesting, never heard of that company yet. I'll keep an eye on them. Ordered bullet and sabot combos from Barnes, Parker Productions and Harvester. Upgraded the scope to a VX freedom (small upgrade, not sure about this new Freedom line) and installed a BH209 breech plug. Hopefully something shoots.
Do your charges by weight and not volume. Try 3 different weight charges with each bullet. DO NOT use muzzleloader 209 primers. Regular shotgun work fine and BH 209 needs the extra fire. Don’t worry about that scope, it is the cats ass on a muzzleloader.

With all seriousness my friend I'd be far less concerned about range than the hunt itself. I get the desire to succeed, but the experience is the memory that last. Been there.

I have the same gun, it is super accurate and a pleasure to shoot. However, I think 300 yards on an elk is not realistic. The gun may be reasonably accurate there, but the bullet will not have near enough energy to take an elk down. Most stick to around 100 yards +\- as a maximum.
You could go with a ML that can shoot smokeless powder (if legal in AZ), those have greater range. But smokeless powder would blow your optima to pieces.

Anyways, with my optima I shoot federal copper bor locks. Have not been able to test them on an animal yet though. I get 1” groups at 50 yards with open sights. There is a thread on here somewhere of a guy who shot two mulies and a big bull elk with the bor lock coppers and BH209. I’d give that a read as well.

Keep us updated and looking forward to reading about your process!

Going to doubletap that BH209 is measured by volume not weight - easy way to have a real bad day.

I bought a couple packs of tubes to store premeasured loads. The tubes are marked with graduations but they are not accurate from tube to tube but they still work great for easy loading at the range or in the field.

I played around with a couple volume measurers to find one I liked. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter much if I have 87, 90, or 93 grains when I measure 90, what matters is that I am consistent for accuracy.

On sabots, try TMZ or TEZ and see if either work. I get good results with both. Would shoot more but the price per round between sabot and BH209 makes my 300WM cheap to shoot.

Interesting, never heard of that company yet. I'll keep an eye on them. Ordered bullet and sabot combos from Barnes, Parker Productions and Harvester. Upgraded the scope to a VX freedom (small upgrade, not sure about this new Freedom line) and installed a BH209 breech plug. Hopefully something shoot
First off congratulations on that tag. Second getting your hands on a CVA Blackhorn 209 breechplug is a success in and by itself. I went with the same CVA earlier this year hoping to draw a CO ML tag but opted to just buy a point and will apply next year.

AZ is a most anything goes ML hunting state. I’ve been shooting Hodgdon 777 powder and the Federal Premium 50 cal 270gr bullet. Very clean and easy to load. My Optima likes this mix although I plan to test BH209 as well. I was finally able to get the BH209 breechplug myself although haven’t needed it with 777.

Leupold makes great scopes and your VX will do the trick. Like others have said stay under 200 yards. Gonna be a fun hunt, keep us posted!

First off congratulations on that tag. Second getting your hands on a CVA Blackhorn 209 breechplug is a success in and by itself. I went with the same CVA earlier this year hoping to draw a CO ML tag but opted to just buy a point and will apply next year.

AZ is a most anything goes ML hunting state. I’ve been shooting Hodgdon 777 powder and the Federal Premium 50 cal 270gr bullet. Very clean and easy to load. My Optima likes this mix although I plan to test BH209 as well. I was finally able to get the BH209 breechplug myself although haven’t needed it with 777.

Leupold makes great scopes and your VX will do the trick. Like others have said stay under 200 yards. Gonna be a fun hunt, keep us posted!
Thank you. I was able to fine some Blackhorn 209 at a local shop. It sure didn't last long on the shelves. Had to do the unthinkable and order some 209 shotshell primers off of gunbroker...ouch. That was the only component I could not find no matter how hard I looked.
I will keep everyone posted once I start shooting groups later this spring.

I use Thor Bullets. They are all copper but use no sabot. You find the size that fits your rifle and they are accurate. I hear Thor makes one that is universal (no checking which size to order) but have not used them because I already know what size my rifle takes. I use a 250gr with 90gr of Blakhorn 209. Killed elk and several deer with it.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crookhunt
Back