Drew 411-20 in Montana

beartoothhiker

I was fortunate enough to "cash" in my points and draw 411-20 in Montana for this year; I'd been building points with an eye on the Breaks, but purchased a small cabin and 20 acres in the Little Snowies a few years ago. I've hunted the area around Flatwillow Creek the last few years - primarily in archery season so don't hesitate to reach out with questions. If anyone has additional contacts for private land access I would appreciate any help - I have access to a little private land, but have been told the elk typically move out by second week of rifle season; the weather last weekend was horrible so looking to head back up there this weekend. This tag is my "lifetime tag" as going forward I'll just go for the 900-20 for archery season.

Great weather for that tag. Don't forget elk like the antelope type country. Must be in there DNA still. There's some of that country off 87 that's private but bma.

I think this weekend will be good; I know the guy that owns the ranch that is in the hwy 87/Flatwillow Creek in the bma program - used to workout with him and he would say they had elk in their pasture at different times; just 2+ weeks ago there were still 2 herds in the fields between Hwy 87 and NBar so I know they are around....as usual. :)

Was strange for sure - left Billings in time on Friday to scout the BMA area an hour before sunset; got a mile in and got stuck in some not-so-gooey-looking alkali gumbo - could not believe it. I called my cabin neighbor and he drove 30 miles to pull me and my daughter out; decided to get up the next morning and hunt the private land we have access to close to Forestgrove - no fresh sign and 6 other hunters within sight (last time for that this season). Headed out early pm to go to antelope BMA area on 87 again and took a side route through another BMA on the way; dry 2-track all the way through the basin until a very small stream crossing - yep, you guessed it - both sides of stream were so soft, I sunk and got stuck again! Both times in 4wd in my not-to-be-named pickup. We waited for a buddy to come get us out after walking back to hwy87 in almost exactly the same spot we were at the night before, except other side of hwy. By then it was dusk/dark. Sunday morning, we hunting in some State/BLM with alot of promise - very fresh sign, but no elk. Decided to hit the BMA area on way home on Sunday afternoon; on they way out, almost to the east end of the NBar, along a ridge about a mile from the road, 300+ head of elk....with ~50 antelope mixed in with them! Crazy - I didn't have much time to finally drive through the original targeted BMA area on the way home, but I totally see what you are saying; I will be back up there early Friday morning.

Wow for getting stuck back to back. I've been there multiple times. Memories made there. My hunting rig is in the shop as it died on the interstate yesterday coming back from a drive checking the deer rut. Was able to coast into the king ave. Exit. Lucky I wasn't in the boonies where I usually am. From Fort Peck to the Custer and up the Boulder in the last week and all the miles put on during antelope and archery season. Time for a little down time and maintenance for the hunting rig. Maybe a couple days anyway then back at it.
Glad you saw elk. Lots of time glassing that antelope country will pay off. I see your in Billings also. I am in your district areas often and have been for years. If you would like some info. perhaps we can meet up or feel free to pm me.

Thats rough beartoothhiker. I too have this bull tag and spent a fair amount of points to get it. Bigfoot and I have spent some time over there between archery and rifle opening weekend. He got a bull last week. I'll be headed back over this Sunday - Wednesday and will send you a PM.

Cold night after a little cold front. I think I will head out in the morning looking for that buck I have been chasing for a couple years now. Probably see more bulls though...

@Kneetopia - I sent you pm with my cell as well
@wapiti11 - would love to meet up sometime here in Billings - I'm going to head back up late tomorrow night to hunt Friday, but have to be back here in Billings for the weekend.

Saw this guy during archery season last year out in that antelope country..... always surprised at him much elk sign I run inti out there.

This morning I almost t-boned two solid 6x6s on 87 just south of grassrange..

Attachments

• 43056.jpeg
    43056.jpeg
    485.6 KB · Views: 46
Heading back out this weekend; actually came across 3 bulls and cow two mornings in a row last weekend; first day, the elk were busted out by other hunters as we were closing the 700yd gap; next day, a 12 year old girl was able to harvest the largest bull - we heard the shot and the same 4 elk came across me right at private land fence line and I didn't realize the largest bull had been hit by her shot so glad I wasn't able to get a steady shot; they disappeared into timber and I busted them out walking through there; eventually saw the bull just lay down across fence to private land; I went and found the other group and walked them over to where they could see it. Getting closer!

Well, I didn't end up getting a shot at a bull; I hunted each morning last Wed-Sat pretty hard then stayed around the cabin during the day. On Wednesday morning we were out at sunup and then a BMA until early afternoon - tons of deer sign and no elk sign. On Thurs morning, we went back out to antelope country and spent an hour plus glassing with no elk close; some up in the timber on private was all; stopped at the some State Land and cut 6 fresh tracks from earlier that morning. I knew they were fresh b/c it was snowing hard at 6am and these tracks had no snow in them. We followed them all the way to the private ranch fence - picked the wrong place that morning as the tracks were within 100yds of the road. Friday morning went back to antelope country again and at sunup (with snow blowing, 9 degrees, and the wind out of the NE for the first time all season), there were elk on the back side bordering private land (~1.25+ miles away). My daughter and I got over there as fast as we could and I made a tactical mistake: I chose wind in face, but no terrain cover over wind at my back with terrain cover. We were exposed except for a stand of grass - and still 400+yds away, with snow blowing and no place to go. Every time I raised up to glass, there were more cow eyes on me. They eventually busted out and it was like an elk rodeo - elk everywhere running away. There was no way to get an ethical shot. I started running to try and cut off the ones that were coming from behind some small hills, but was too late. On our way back to the truck I snapped a couple pictures of the herd slowly moving over to the timber on the private land. Overall I learned a ton this season and had a great time with my kids: my daughter got a good shot at a bull in archery season, my son got a shot at a cow elk, and my daughter shot a little buck from the front porch of our cabin. I really appreciate all the guys I've chatted with on here - especially wapiti11 and kneetopia. 900-20 tag from here on out!

I know this is an old thread but I ended up drawing this tag this year 411-20. Ill be coming from Michigan. I had plans to try and fly into the durffies but thatrs not going to happen due to them 3x the price on me 2 weeks before opener. I don't know the area and any help would be greatly apprciated.

I think fwp changed the regs for 411 not sure if it was archery or rifle.
I don’t think the durfees or 530 are included.
Not certain the change was archery or rifle. But triple check.
That is one area that was changed for “simplifying” the hard to understand regs....

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back