Dream jobs for some HTer?

Finally someone included the key part of owning a ranch. I always get a chuckle when someone posts up they want to own a ranch so they can hunt and fish more.
You’re telling me you don’t get to hunt all the time? That archery whitetail story and world famous shed collection almost had me fooled 😉

I’d really like to work part time at an archery shop after I retire, maybe just building arrows, just for employee discounts

Part time ranch/farm hand would be kinda nice also

Anything that would allow me to make my current income in 6 months. Then I can hunt and play with my boys the other 1/2 a year.
This is my dream as well. Work January through June and then have the rest of the year off. Summer camping and fishing trips roll into hunting seasons where the only constraint would be drawing tags. That would be a great life!

I was offered guide jobs many times over the years. Listening to the horror stories my PH tells, seems I made the right decision passing on that career. The first time a client shot an impala six times, I'd probably wrap the gun around his head. Or the European hunters who generally insist on getting gassed up while they're hunting. Some kind of cultural thing. Stupid! As a park ranger in Alaska I twice baled out fly fishing guides who had clients too drunk to walk. Sent both crews straight to the float plane and home. The river was fast water filled with slimy large flat rocks. Very treacherous. And the two miles of shoreline was cruised constantly by 80+ brown bears (grizzlies). The guides felt helpless. Knew they would get fired by the lodge if clients complained. I was happy to take the fall for them (and both guides were VERY relieved). Park law enforcement always backed me up. Then there's the angry clients who show up with $5K fishing gear, can't catch a thing, and won't listen to advice because they know it all and have the best equipment money can buy (like that's supposed to make a difference). Yeah, my skin is WAY too thin for that job. Anyway, when you're guiding you're not supposed to be hunting or fishing. That would be tough on me.

I’d really like to work part time at an archery shop after I retire, maybe just building arrows, just for employee discounts

In all seriousness this would be my dream job, 2 days a week at an archery shop, 2 days a week at a fly shop, fishing guide one day a week, hunt all fall, fish all spring. Retirement can’t come soon enough

Being an outdoors writer would be my dream job. Great chance to be creative (imaginative?), do what I love, and get paid. Downside is it usually doesn't pay enough to survive. Being a writer would be a better fit for me than internet or TV influencer. Much easier to project a false image on paper. Reality shows don't work well for wrinkled up old guys with dingy teeth and saggy guts/butts (though that image seems to work well enough for fishing show hosts). Unfortunately, outdoors writer careers are being superceded by Facebook and Outdoors Channel crap. Folks in the 21st century are too lazy to read and seem to have lost all appreciation for anything artistic. They need to be spoon fed ... fast as possible ... with a snow shovel.

I’ve always told my wife that my retirement job is working the gun counter at Sportsman’s.

After reading some of @SFC B posts, and Scheel’s currently putting in a store in Boise, my plans have changed from Sportsman’s to Scheel’s.

I’ve always told my wife that my retirement job is working the gun counter at Sportsman’s.

After reading some of @SFC B posts, and Scheel’s currently putting in a store in Boise, my plans have changed from Sportsman’s to Scheel’s.
I would not complain if they opened a store in CDA or even Spokane

20 years ago when I graduated our high school band teacher was knocking down like $125k. Graduating class size of around 100 kids. Crazy. No idea what the gym teacher was making but that guy sure new how to read a newspaper.

20 years ago when I graduated our high school band teacher was knocking down like $125k. Graduating class size of around 100 kids. Crazy. No idea what the gym teacher was making but that guy sure new how to read a newspaper.
That sounds like my shop teacher. Hardest work he did was take roll. Then into his office for a donut and nap. Every day, same thing.

That sounds like my shop teacher. Hardest work he did was take roll. Then into his office for a donut and nap. Every day, same thing.

Our shop teacher was pretty much same, took roll then went and napped while everybody smoked up in the welding shop. Would have been nice to have learned something while we were there.

If you are going to apply let me know....we do get a little credit for referrals!! I have to tell you that other than my last Army job in special operations it is the best place I have worked.

You’re telling me you don’t get to hunt all the time? That archery whitetail story and world famous shed collection almost had me fooled 😉
The good part about being on the ranch is that I can be in the hills in less than fifteen minutes, the bad part is getting a full day in the hills doesn't happen often and multiple days away happens almost never.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back