Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Draw Results - No Luck

cshire

Hi, new poster with questions of course.
Although I did a lot of lurking earlier this year getting info on areas, point systems, application strategies, I never joined or posted.

Out west hunting has always been on the bucket list, finally pulled the trigger and applied this year.
Plan was to antelope hunt this year, learn some basics, scout some areas – work up to a pack in Elk hunt in a few years.

WY deer and antelope draw results posted today.
My son and I were unsuccessful.
I thought i did enough research and had a good understanding of the draw process, but now think I might have missed something.

We each have 1 preference point purchased last year – so not much to work with there.
Strategy was to apply for a hard to draw area as first choice – get super lucky in the random draw or save the point for future years.
Second choice was for an area with much better draw odds, this means limited public access, etc. but was the best option for being able to hunt this year.

Here is shot of what we applied for:
112 is the hard to draw area – didn’t win the lottery
17 was the area I thought we would get.

Based on using it as our 2nd choice area and last years numbers we should have been one of 152 2nd choice applicants for 217 available permits?
Or am i misunderstanding the numbers and how this all works?

Looking at what is available for leftover licenses on public land show not many opportunities in WY for antelope or mule deer.

I guess I need to look at other states and what leftover or OTC options might be available.

Welcome. So yeah, just posted something similar a minute ago. 17 was one of the units that was hit hardest this year--100% second choice draw odds last year, but this year, not so much. After the 1st choices were gone, only 84 tags left for 236 applicants.

Welcome. So yeah, just posted something similar a minute ago. 17 was one of the units that was hit hardest this year--100% second choice draw odds last year, but this year, not so much. After the 1st choices were gone, only 84 tags left for 236 applicants.

OK thanks. Just wanted to make sure I hadn't missed something in my plan. Sounds like the plan was good based on the numbers, but too many people has the same plan for area 17.
I'll look over the leftover license options better this evening to see if anything looks good.

Yep, your plan was solid-it's just that a lot of people applied for tags that they didn't apply for last year. Good news is, you'll still have your point, and presumably will buy an extra one for next year's draw, so you'll have even better odds. If you're willing to shell out for the special license, you can find some good units for two points.

Welcome to Hunttalk and welcome to point creep. This is only the beginning. Marginal hunts at best will soon cost you $400 and multiple preference points.

I had similar results with 2nd choice of 26 and third of 25. I have two doe tags for 26 so hopefully I'm able to fill them. From the sounds of it there won't be many leftover tags either.

I had similar results with 2nd choice of 26 and third of 25. I have two doe tags for 26 so hopefully I'm able to fill them. From the sounds of it there won't be many leftover tags either.
That area has had a couple of increase in quotas in the last 5 years. I think that has allowed it to stay as a second choice until this year.

That area has had a couple of increase in quotas in the last 5 years. I think that has allowed it to stay as a second choice until this year.
It looks like it went from 80 first choice to almost 400. Seems like a huge jump for such limited access. Oh well I plan to try and pick up a leftover doe tag in another unit.

Back