Yeti GOBOX Collection

Draw Question

kcd

I would like to do a Western Big Game hunt. I have never been. Thought I would start with Antelope. Obviously I have no points I have never applied. Quick question. Are the odds of drawing Muzzleloader tags better than Rifle and Archery? What little research I have done Wyoming doesn't even have a muzzleloader season for Antelope. Wyoming New Mexico or Colorado are the states I am focused on. Thanks in Advance

Like Valley said it depends on so many factors but generally rifle is toughest and archery easiest. (To draw, it's the reverse for actually hunting them.) I don't know if New Mexico has any muzzleloader tags for non-residents either though BTW.

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like I may need to consider Archery and do some more research

If truly focused on muzzleloader Colorado is probably your best bet. New Mexico offers muzzleloader tags but they're hard to draw like most NM tags and you could be waiting awhile or draw your first year so probably worth applying just not a plan A option. I know Wyoming has at least one antelope muzzleloader hunt in unit 50 but it was over 4 points last I looked. Colorado has a ton of muzzleloader only antelope tags not OTC but they take less points then the rifle tags usually quite a bit less. Colorado also has OTC archery antelope tags in some units. I'd find a unit that takes a point two max to draw muzzleloader if it's OTC or close to a OTC unit go hunt archery the year before and use the opportunity to scout. Colorado also has a leftover list you could try and snag a decent tag that way last minute if you have a flexible schedule.

Buy a few points and head to Wyoming, NM tags are tough to get,haven't heard much about CO as far as quality hunts.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I am definitely no trophy hunter so just looking for some opportunities.

In my opinion, general rule of thumb is lower/no points to draw, either the unit is “harder” in the sense of animal numbers, tags allowed, or public land. You most definitely can still get it done in those units, it just may not be as easy.

There are a couple muzzleloader only Wyoming hunts but I don't recall the units off the top of my head. There are some CO units you can draw with only a few points, just remember you can't use a scope on your muzzleloader in CO and it isn't known for the best antelope hunting. Seems pretty fun, however. I may give it a go at some point.

If you're only applying for antelope I'd pass on NM because the odds are too low. Last year saw an estimated 8,000 non-residents applying for 98 tags.

That said, the change to muzzleloader rules this year makes them a bit of a wild card (if people actually pay attention to the rule change before applying).

If truly focused on muzzleloader Colorado is probably your best bet. New Mexico offers muzzleloader tags but they're hard to draw like most NM tags and you could be waiting awhile or draw your first year so probably worth applying just not a plan A option. I know Wyoming has at least one antelope muzzleloader hunt in unit 50 but it was over 4 points last I looked. Colorado has a ton of muzzleloader only antelope tags not OTC but they take less points then the rifle tags usually quite a bit less. Colorado also has OTC archery antelope tags in some units. I'd find a unit that takes a point two max to draw muzzleloader if it's OTC or close to a OTC unit go hunt archery the year before and use the opportunity to scout. Colorado also has a leftover list you could try and snag a decent tag that way last minute if you have a flexible schedule.
But what are my chances to drop a doe with a muzzleloader in Colorado?

But what are my chances to drop a doe with a muzzleloader in Colorado?
Depends completely on your ability and persistence. I'm batting 2 for 2 with Colorado antelope muzzleloader tags so it can be done just takes a bit of persistence.

I think Wyomings got like 3 or 4 units with muzzleloader tags. I’ve hunted a number of times during the type 0 and the type 1 in one of those units. Sounds crazy, but I swear its easier to kill one with a muzzleloader during the rifle season in that unit than the earlier muzzleloader season. The muzzy only season is the first two weeks of September IIRC. You cannot hunt during the rifle season if you have the type zero, so it’s only two weeks long. The bucks aren’t real rutty yet. They’ve been chased by archery hunters. Lots of guys trying and mostly failing at archery spot and stalk nowadays. Pronghorn are plenty skittish by Sept 1 in areas with pressure which is pretty much everywhere in the one I’ve hunted for years. And then they get a ton of failed stalks from muzzy hunters. They’re honestly not real easy to get close to unless you wanna sit water or a marking spot, or hunt the dumb ones that stand by the county roads all day out there. Those things don’t appeal to me. I just don’t do well with a strict stand set up. I need to move at least a little. The guys that shoot the real long range muzzleloaders have the advantage in this season if they’re trying to kill an upper tier buck in that unit before rifle season I guess. And there’s advantages to being able to draw a muzzleloader tag vs a rifle tag usually.

The rifle season in that unit runs from middle of Sept to end of Oct. The bucks get reliably dumb during the rifle season if there’s a hot doe around. It’s fun. We usually just get out in the flats as close as we can, lay down, and let the magic happen. It usually does if you’re patient and make small moves when you can. Sometimes it takes us several hours to kill one and we don’t move much more than a couple hundred yards from where we first laid down. Our average shot is around 150, which is doable with the right inline set up. I’m packing a rifle in rifle season, but I don’t see why you couldn’t just take your muzzleloader out if you felt so inclined.

Said all that to say that season dates during the rut is more important to me than a special earlier muzzleloader season. That has a lot to do with me being a Wyoming resident. In a lot of places I’m assuming you’re perfectly legal to use that muzzleloader in what might be a rut rifle hunt. Advantages to muzzy only season would be first crack at the best bucks in that unit, and probably easier draw odds in the vast majority of places that offer those options. But purely from a hunting perspective, it’s easier, and quite a bit more fun to get within standard inline muzzleloader range and kill one in the rut than during that pre rut period.

Sorry for the novel.

Last edited:
Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back