Draftstud's back from Nebraska

MarvB

I'll let John correct this as he desires...I'm just the messanger ;)

Well, Check that one off the books and it was Great!

We arrived at Eagle Canyon Campground around 2:00 pm friday, Nov. 10th and met the Managers Jimmy and Julie Baker. When she found out she had a cancellation on one of the large 2 bedroom, bath and Kitchen cabins, she upgraded us for the convenince of our wives. Then she cooked us up some Great hamburgers and then Jimmy showed us where to Hunt (His own Stands). Wes walked to his stand from the cabin, maybe 350 yards. My stand was about a half mile down the road that we set up late Friday afternoon. Now to make this more exciting I will tell you that the package was 5 nights and 4 days of hunting for $550 (this reflects the upgrade and is for my wife and I, meals included!

Day 1: Got to my stand and almost instantly started to hear Deer moving! At daylight I started seeing Deer moving to my right, but a branch was in the way for a clear shot. One of the 4 deer was huge, but no go! After Good light I realized I was in an umbrella of small branches that we did'nt notice setting up the stand. I did some Grunt Calling and called in a Monster out in the dryed up lake bed, (The lake is what makes this a Great hunt, It used to be 24 miles long and because of the drought, it is only 10 miles long now and is overgrown with brush, where the deer hang out) The Deer had been seen by Jimmy earlier in the season and he rough scored him close to 170 B&C. I leaned to my left and tried to snake a shot, but I missed! The buck did'nt even know I had shot as I was shooting into the Lakebed. Then he walked into the brush and five minutes later a truck drives out into the lakebed and drops off a Hunter who proceeds to "sneak Hunt" straight to my stand with me waving my hat at him! He stated that his lake house overlooked the Lake and he saw the Buck from about a third of a mile away! Then he really pissed me off when he said "Dang, That was a Huge SOB, Was'nt it!"
I got down and met the Wives and Wes for Brunch. We saw some does later that eveing just before Dark.

Day 2: I hunted my stand again with the Idea that if I did'nt see anything that I would move it, at about 8:00 I got down to see where to move it and jumped a deer in the lakebed, I had both a Antlerless Tag and A Buck Tag, so Game On! I watched the Deer run into some Brush and when it walked into a window of brush and I saw no horns I shot it, now Me and the Deer were even! A couple of minutes later I heard Wes shoot. I went to get the Girls and Jimmy to get the Deer out, This was a first for the wives and the thought I was fun, Just don't field dress them infront of us!!!!

WES' 8 POINT (His Best)
8POINTrev.jpg

Wes and I
WESANDIrev.jpg

That Afternoon we moved my stand out to the edge of the Lakebed and got ready to Hunt the evening, the wind was blowing so hard I had tears streaming down my cheeks. With about 15 minutes of Daylight I heard Wes Shoot, but with it being the magical time to be in the Woods I could'nt talk on my Radio, so I just stayed quiet. With 3 minutes of light I saw a Buck standing on his hind legs at a licking limb, since we wanted to go Pheasant Hunting, I decided to take any Buck that I saw. After the buck got though licking the limb and freshing the scrape I put the cross hairs on him and touched off, he ran towards the woods and crashed hard! I walked straight to where I though he was....Tagged out!

Wes, Jimmy and I with mine
LOADrev.jpg

My 4 point
4POINTrev.jpg

Charlotte and Arleine
GIRLSrev.jpg

Wes' Button Buck
BUTTONrev.jpg

THE MEAT POLE
MEATPOLErev.jpg

Day 3: The girls went shopping and Wes and I went to the Check Station to Check in our Deer and Skin and quarter our Deer, Nuff Said! That night Jimmy and Julie had Bingo after Supper, I won a Hoodie Jacket for Charlotte and on the "Blackout" I won a $50 Gift Certiticate towards my next hunt!

GOING TO THE CHECK STATION
STATIONrev.jpg

Day 4: Went Pheasant Hunting behind some quality German Shorthair Pointers and walked my ass off! Saw a ton of Pheasant and we got 4, most were getting up way too far and the wind was gusting up to 50 MPH and it got worse that evening. I think I should of waited on a better buck and just Deer Hunted! LOL

Now, we enjoyed the meals and wow! Homemade Pizza and salad, T-Bones and Baked potatoes, Smoked Turkey, Burgers and the best Brunches and Deserts, all included in the price of the Hunt! I would highly recommend this place to all my Friends. Wes and I figured out that we were on stand 9 hours and killed Four deer! Not Bad. There were several 8, 10 and 12 pointers taken up to 265 pounds. These are big Deer! John

Thanks Marv!, I cannot tell ya'll how much fun this was, Got back home in time to take Travis (Son) hunting at the lease. He got a Spike and I got a 5 point. Fast Week! John

Missed this one. Good food and good hunting. Sounds like a lot of fun. Better than some horse show!:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HaileyB
Back