Draft Regs posted

Everyone bitching about (insert whatever). Better take a breath and try to enjoy it regardless where your hunting because in 10 more years these are gonna be the good ol days.
Agreed.

What makes Wyoming's elk tags so valuable, and sets them apart from every other state, is the flexibility to hunt both rifle and archery with the same tag.

You'll see the value in 2024 when the NR special elk tags sell out at $2k a pop.

Agreed.

What makes Wyoming's elk tags so valuable, and sets them apart from every other state, is the flexibility to hunt both rifle and archery with the same tag.

You'll see the value in 2024 when the NR special elk tags sell out at $2k a pop.

I think some don’t realize how much that flexibility attenuates pressure.

Choose your weapon actually creates more tags and therefore far more pressure. It’s many things causing too much pressure in colorado, like a toxic amalgam really, but that choose your weapon set up for archery and rifle is not insignificant among them.

You already have the month of September. Put in like everyone else and go hunt your month. Take your tag out of your pocket October 1 and burn it, throw it in the trash, whatever.

Nobody is forcing you to hunt more than September.

Typical archery hunter whinefest...including the crossbow bitching.

Just be honest, all you want is better draw odds because you think you're "special".

You aren't, so get over it. Wyoming hunters have spoken and they don't want type 9's for a variety of reasons.

Btw, the bighorns are a joke with archery pressure.
Typical rifle hunter gets 6 week long rifle season and complain that archery hunters get to hunt the rut. Not the case in every unit some unit the rifle hunters get peak

No body is forcing you to apply for type 9 tags so get over it more and more will appear

I dont care about draw odds they likely wont get better the big horns type 9 tags for the most part prove this.

With the changing hunter numbers and the push to increase opportunities choose your weapon is on its way I am surprised your pals at wyoga have not started yet.

Typical rifle hunter gets 6 week long rifle season and complain that archery hunters get to hunt the rut. Not the case in every unit some unit the rifle hunters get peak

No body is forcing you to apply for type 9 tags so get over it more and more will appear

I dont care about draw odds they likely wont get better the big horns type 9 tags for the most part prove this.

With the changing hunter numbers and the push to increase opportunities choose your weapon is on its way I am surprised your pals at wyoga have not started yet.
Keep dreaming....isn't going to happen.

Bow hunters tried it a few years ago...got their ass handed to them, big time.

More are opposed now.

So one of the smallest minorities of hunter's is going to push this through? Sounds unlikely especially with strong resident opposition. With the recent 90/10 changes on MSG I would say Wyoming isn't to concerned with increasing NR opportunities.

You are are living in a fantasy world. Sorry but I am about as much of an archery hunter as anyone. One of the biggest reasons we moved to WY is so that my family could hunt archery without sacrificing overall odds of success…. Sorry but I don’t know a single resident archery hunter who would be willing to sacrifice the current system in favor of more type 9 tags. I do however find way more that don’t like the limits of type 9 tags and actually prefer a general tag because it does not limit them to a season or a unit.

Sorry but as a serious archery hunter I think WY has the single best and most favorable setup in the country… Any deviation is a decrease in opportunity for all.

You are are living in a fantasy world. Sorry but I am about as much of an archery hunter as anyone. One of the biggest reasons we moved to WY is so that my family could hunt archery without sacrificing overall odds of success…. Sorry but I don’t know a single resident archery hunter who would be willing to sacrifice the current system in favor of more type 9 tags. I do however find way more that don’t like the limits of type 9 tags and actually prefer a general tag because it does not limit them to a season or a unit.

Sorry but as a serious archery hunter I think WY has the single best and most favorable setup in the country… Any deviation is a decrease in opportunity for all.

I guess where the differentiation comes from, is everyone's different opinion of a quality hunting experience. For some, it is just being outdoors with friends and family and hopefully grab some winter meat. In this instance, the more people the better. However, for others it is being able to have time away from people and enjoy the outdoors alone with some sort of seclusion. Look at how New Mexico divides the seasons and areas up to try and give everyone a choice to their type of hunt. With more resident pressure that is put on the rescource, choose a weapon and choose a time frame to hunt has got to happen. The people that have moved here, have to realize that their prescence will affect how hunting seasons will be managed in the future.

I guess where the differentiation comes from, is everyone's different opinion of a quality hunting experience. For some, it is just being outdoors with friends and family and hopefully grab some winter meat. In this instance, the more people the better. However, for others it is being able to have time away from people and enjoy the outdoors alone with some sort of seclusion. Look at how New Mexico divides the seasons and areas up to try and give everyone a choice to their type of hunt. With more resident pressure that is put on the rescource, choose a weapon and choose a time frame to hunt has got to happen. The people that have moved here, have to realize that their prescence will affect how hunting seasons will be managed in the future.
I totally disagree. Forcing people to hunt specific weapons increases pressure between people and increases pressure on the resource.

Want to see elk harboring earlier and quicker?...implement a type 9 season where every single tag holder puts maximum effort into their season.

Having people spread out their effort between rifle and archery with one tag is the way to fly.

Wyoming is not New Mexico. Wyoming is not Arizona.

I totally disagree. Forcing people to hunt specific weapons increases pressure between people and increases pressure on the resource.

Want to see elk harboring earlier and quicker?...implement a type 9 season where every single tag holder puts maximum effort into their season.

Having people spread out their effort between rifle and archery with one tag is the way to fly.

So if I'm following your train of thought, by having 150 Type 9 tags hunting in an area will push more elk off the public than 500 type 1 tag holders hunting with a bow....because they won't put in maximum effort??

Agree. Washington state also has a "select a weapon" feature with their licenses. What a headache not to mention an absolutely abysmal big game hunt. Better hope life doesn't happen and you miss your window to hunt.

Wouldn't you know it too that Washington allows the application and purchase of a "multi-season tag" ... which allows a hunter to hunt over the span of all archery, rifle, and muzzleloader seasons. Talk about a money grab.

So if I'm following your train of thought, by having 150 Type 9 tags hunting in an area will push more elk off the public than 500 type 1 tag holders hunting with a bow....because they won't put in maximum effort??
Yes this is what happens. 150 guys know they only have a weekend or two to make it happen, so they are all hitting the woods at the same time. You'll be spreading that pressure over the course of say a 6 week season. Hard to explain but when you have seen such ideas in practice it's quite eye opening.

I know that is exactly what happens. Archery hunters live in this alternate universe that they have no impact on pressure, bull harvest, early harboring, etc. They have a huge impact, not even up for debate. I know, because I also bow hunt enough to see what is happening.

Not everyone that draws an any elk tag here hunts with a bow. Some may hunt a weekend or two. Some may only hunt with a bow. Its a mixed bag spread out over a long period of time.

But, you limit hunters by type 9's, every single one of them will hunt as much as they can knowing its their only chance. They're going to use their vacation and every available day to hunt. Just the way it works.

Give people the option to hunt with a rifle too...many aren't going to hunt much, if at all, with their bows.

Adding tags to existing quota's does one thing, adds pressure to elk and hunt quality. Just the way it is.

I know that is exactly what happens. Archery hunters live in this alternate universe that they have no impact on pressure, bull harvest, early harboring, etc. They have a huge impact, not even up for debate. I know, because I also bow hunt enough to see what is happening.

Not everyone that draws an any elk tag here hunts with a bow. Some may hunt a weekend or two. Some may only hunt with a bow. Its a mixed bag spread out over a long period of time.

But, you limit hunters by type 9's, every single one of them will hunt as much as they can knowing its their only chance. They're going to use their vacation and every available day to hunt. Just the way it works.

Give people the option to hunt with a rifle too...many aren't going to hunt much, if at all, with their bows.

Adding tags to existing quota's does one thing, adds pressure to elk and hunt quality. Just the way it is.
Maybe with residents this is the case.

Have you been to western wyoming opening day of rifle for deer in September every nr tag holder is there to hunt with there rifle virtually none archery hunt that

Maybe with residents this is the case.

Have you been to western wyoming opening day of rifle for deer in September every nr tag holder is there to hunt with there rifle virtually none archery hunt that
Right, its a choice they have, there is nothing stopping them from hunting with a bow from Sept 1 until the start of rifle.

Sounds like a bowhunting dream, I suggest you get after it.

Yes, I've rifle hunted deer in Western Wyoming and have seen exactly zero other hunters (other than the friends I was hunting with).

Last edited:
Right, its a choice they have, there is nothing stopping them from hunting with a bow from Sept 1 until the start of rifle.

Sounds like a bowhunting dream, I suggest you get after it.
I do.

But you are trying to claim the a single tag with the option to archery or rifle helps pressure which is simply not true.

I do.

But you are trying to claim the a single tag with the option to archery or rifle helps pressure which is simply not true.
It is true, you just proved it.

If you were to pile a bunch of type-9 archery tags for deer in Western Wyoming, it would drastically increase pressure on those deer during archery. What sense would it make, if you're primarily hunting unpressured deer, to start issuing type-9's and INCREASE archery pressure on those deer? I'm not seeing the upside if I were archery hunting deer in G and H to issue type 9's...you would just increase pressure.

Its the same with elk. If you force people to hunt archery via a type 9, you increase pressure on elk substantially. You have to get it through your head that archery hunters impact elk significantly. They push elk around a lot, they wound a bunch, they kill primarily bulls, they force elk to harbor earlier, just a fact. Ask anyone that's been bowhunting for the past 40 years. Elk never used to harbor on private in September like they do now...all due to archery pressure.

You can't issue additional tags and say you're decreasing pressure, doesn't work that way. You're jacking it up for both rifle and archery hunters.

Last edited:

there's no way it's not true.

even if it does nothing else, there is some percentage of folks that fill during archery that then don't go out for rifle that would've have gone out for rifle. but, then there are folks that draw the tag and only want to go out for rifle and never fill up the woods during archery.

really, at the end of the day they're giving everyone a 6-7 week elk season all said and done. 4 weeks of archery and 2-3 or more weeks of bull and cow hunting, depending on the unit. absolutely that spreads out pressure, massively. it's inane to think it does anything else

even if it does nothing else, there is some percentage of folks that fill during archery that then don't go out for rifle that would've have gone out for rifle. but, then there are folks that draw the tag and only want to go out for rifle and never fill up the woods during archery.

really, at the end of the day they're giving everyone a 6-7 week elk season all said and done. 4 weeks of archery and 2-3 or more weeks of bull and cow hunting, depending on the unit. absolutely that spreads out pressure, massively. it's inane to think it does anything else
Worth reading twice, exactly what happens.

Of the 3 type 1 tags I've drawn, I only archery hunted with 1 of those tags. That means that in 2 of the 3 cases, I was absolutely not in the way of an archery hunter at all.

When I killed a bull with my bow the first year I drew, I didn't get in the way of a rifle hunter later on.

What we're dealing with is someone that thinks archery hunters need their own tag set aside to improve their chances of drawing quality tags more often. Its entitlement, nothing more. Like I said previously, its not enough they get 30 days to rifle hunters 15 or less, not enough they hunt during the rut, not enough that they can also continue to bow hunt during rifle season, or pick up a rifle and hunt that way too.

All it is, there's a systematic denial that archery hunters greatly impact elk and elk behavior more now, than any other time I've been hunting elk.

Just say no to type-9's...

It is true, you just proved it.

If you were to pile a bunch of type-9 archery tags for deer in Western Wyoming, it would drastically increase pressure on those deer during archery. What sense would it make, if you're primarily hunting unpressured deer, to start issuing type-9's and INCREASE archery pressure on those deer? I'm not seeing the upside if I were archery hunting deer in G and H to issue type 9's...you would just increase pressure.

Its the same with elk. If you force people to hunt archery via a type 9, you increase pressure on elk substantially. You have to get it through your head that archery hunters impact elk significantly. They push elk around a lot, they wound a bunch, they kill primarily bulls, they force elk to harbor earlier, just a fact. Ask anyone that's been bowhunting for the past 40 years. Elk never used to harbor on private in September like they do now...all due to archery pressure.

You can't issue additional tags and say you're decreasing pressure, doesn't work that way. You're jacking it up for both rifle and archery hunters.
Who ever said you have to increase tags numbers? Only you have mentioned that I never said to increase tag

You just take a percentage of the type 1 tags and make them type 9.

Not all archery hunters are the same I could say the same about rifle hunters wounding game but I will refrain from that that comes done to people making poor decisions and is not a primary rifle or archery hunter problem.

So 100 tags. Maybe 5 go archery hunt and 2 harvest so then 98 rifle hunters come back opening day.
The only pressure it lowers is during archery season. It's insane to think that the current structure doesn't over pressure during rifle season

Back