Downward trending I am...

RobG

After trying to go on a hike twice today only to get turned back by thunderstorms I decided to go scout the local river for a friend who is coming in this weekend. I didn't really want to fish but threw in my fly rod just in case because I knew there was a good chance some big drakes would be out and I like head hunting big trout.

So I got to the river with about an hour of light left but could see no big drakes - only small caddis. I almost went back home but I could see a few slashing risers so I decided to rig up my rod.

Oh yea, I wish I would have brought my reading glasses. Trying to thread the 5x tippet into a #14 royal trude in fading light was a near impossible task without those glasses. The trude wasn't the best choice: too big and too pretty. In fact I rarely do well with it, but I figured it was the only thing I could see on the water.

It was really frustrating blindly stabbing a blurry tippet end into a blurry area between my finger tips that I knew contained a hook eye. Half the time I would think I was through the eye and carefully thread it further only to find out I missed the eye entirely. After two or three minutes I finally got it through the eye for real and it only took 6-8 more tries to get the tag end through the twists of a clinch knot. Finally, I was ready to fish.

However, when I got to the bank I noticed fish slashing at big old drakes in the fading light. JHC, how could I have missed them? I guess my eyes are getting pretty bad or I took so long the hatch started without me. Anyway, didn't want to go through the pain of tying on a new fly after all that I'd just been through so I fished the trude until it was obvious they didn't want it. Yup, I would have to go through the pain of tying on another fly.

At least it would be a big fly this time. That is, if I had remembered to bring my big flies. Crap, here I go on a drake expedition and forget the drakes... so I grabbed the closest thing I had which was a #10 elk hair caddis (I could stand the wing up like a mayfly). Then I started the process of trying to get the tippet through the eye. This time it was really bad - I couldn't even see the tippet, and, I kid you not, it took me no more than 10 seconds of blindly stabbing at that blurry hook eye area to realize I wasn't holding the tippet in my hand, which is why I couldn't see it.

Well, after another frustrating minute or two I managed to get the fly tied on. I even managed to catch a rainbow but mostly they weren't interested in something that was so obviously not a drake. Guess I'll have to try tomorrow and bring the glasses and flies this time.

Last edited:
I am at the point where even in daylight threading the eye can take a few stabs sometimes.After decades,thank goodness for instinct.The low light/fish rising and switching flies can be maddening.

Photo Refractive procedure...

As in lasik, etc? I was going to do that for my big-time nearsightedness a dozen years ago but decided it wasn't worth the risk since my fine detail vision was very good. Now that it has gone to hell I might do it.

http://www.lasik.com/articles/lasik-prk-difference

I'd consult a good eye doc for procedural advice Rob.

I actually looked into it last year and was on the border between prk and lasik. The price was not attractive... I might wait until I have a good income year or I might just bite the bullet.

A few years ago I found myself trying to navigate after dark using my gps and I couldn't tell which waypoint was my vehicle! I guess I'll always need reading glasses but it will be nice to get my nearsightedness fixed. My mom got one eye fixed for close in and one for far away but doesn't like it.

I'm with Pointer. I had Lasik in 2007 and it's the best money I ever spent. I am also getting close to the reading glasses stage. Good light, I'm fine. Bad light, i'm screwed.

My fishing buddy showed me where they make polarzied sun glasses with built in readers. I tried out a pair. Gonna get me some of those, no doubt.

I will get a touch up when my vision starts to deteriorate. Was just in for a check up and my left eye is still 20/15 and my right eye is 20/40. Going to try a single contact in my right eye this year. None of that will prevent the reading glasses.

I've acquired 3 pair of reading glasses in the last year...never thought it would come to this.

The doc here was going to refer me to someone in Billings for PRK or Lasik. Where did you Montana folks get fixed?

I've acquired 3 pair of reading glasses in the last year...never thought it would come to this.

Costco sells 3-paks...I think I have 2 or 3 3-paks laying around with glasses ripped out of them. Starting to leave them all sorts of places. Every once in awhile be looking at something with friends, and everybody has to pass the glasses around with the picture/object we are trying to look at.

Old People problems. This last year seems to be a faster pace downhill....

I feel your pain. My arms finally go too short so had to put on some specs. Kids tell me that I look just like by dad, he is 80 yrs old. :(

Nemont

I had lasic last fall at the young age of 36 and wish I would have done it 10 years earlier. If you are holding off, don't make the same mistake that I did. Nothing better than not having to wear glasses that fog up on a cold morning or wearing contacts when the dirt is blowing in Wyoming. Best money you can spend!

TLC in Billings.
That was probably the place. Their website says "Fees to match our quality service." Kind of strange to advertise it that way :D. At least I can funnel it through an HSA.

Now I just need to find a break between hunting, skiing, fishing, and working seasons.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back