Downloadable GPS maps needed-Montana

Hunts

Went to GPSFileDepot and grabbed topos and land ownership. Keep hearing that Montana FWP and state of Montana have good maps for GPS as well(Garmin). Google searches, etc have not been very productive though. Would appreciate any links folks have to free maps for Garmin. Anything with Block Management areas would be great too. Thanks.

Last edited:
You should be able to put your GPSfiledepot maps onto your Garmin. Their Wyoming one works great, same infor as the huntinggpsmaps that cost $100 other than the fact that all the government land is the same color (state, blm, etc. are all light blue). They do distinguish Indian Reservations though.

I downloaded 5 maps from GPSfiledepot last weekend and installed them. They work fine. Not interested in spending $100 for the same stuff. Just looking for BMA maps that might be on FWP site or MT state site(s). Just call me a cheapskate.

In answer to Colo question. For a retail product, gpshuntingmaps. For freebies that work but pale by comparison, check under colorado at gpsfiledepot. Perfectly serviceable topo maps available. That site has great topo maps for most states. Especially handy for a one off hunt hwere you may not return to a state. But if going to hunt a state repeatedly, there is no reason other than wanting to keep a firm grasp on a few bucks to not buy a far superior produst such as gpshuntimgmaps product. Hands down the bestboption if a guy can spend a hundred bucks.

I helped get the Western Ownership map set developed that is on gpsfiledepot and covers CO/WY/NM/UT/AZ. Dug up the source data and worked with the developer, providing reviews, etc. It works great for perhaps going to AZ once and being to trll pvt from public, but really just a bandaid as compared to the retail products out there.

Last edited:
How is it that much superior? It has different colors on the map for BLM vs State vs Forest Service?

That's the only difference I can see from comparing them without spending the $100 to buy the huntinggpsmaps product. Is the gpsfiledepot 100k vs 24k on the huntinggpsmaps?

The western land ownership one on gpsfiledepot doesn't have the good Topo and stuff, but there are others that have the public vs private already overlaid on a Topo at least for Wyoming.

I'm not sure it's worth $100 to have some pretty colors on my GPS unit.

Last edited:
Went to the HuntingGPSmaps site but not convinced that they are that much better than what I compiled from GPSfiledepot. I have enabled on my Garmin 20 the MT Landownerr Topo, US Planimetric NW, Western Ownership and US Public Land Survey System (PLSS) grid. These gives good topo detail, show lot's of public land(maybe not all though) as well as roads, etc.

I have to say that after watching the cheesy, overproduced videos on the HuntingGPSMaps site I was not in the least bit enticed to buy.

On a GPS forum I found some posts regarding BMA's and apparently MT FWP will not provide the info as a GPS map and has even contacted some who have produced such a map and asked them to not provide such a map to the public. There is a BMA map in existence but you and I cannot get it. You can however, use Google Earth to physically trace BMA's by hand and then save as tracks and export to your GPS if so inclined.

Western ownership layer, while useful, dIsplays Poorly in that it lays over the top of other maps and makes them harder to see on my Oregon. Fine for a one off hunt but for my home state, 100 bucks is a bargain for a refined, single piece of software instead of 4 maps to do he same thing.

I can save 100 bcks for it b tapering off of hostess donettes for a few months:rolleyes:

I bought MT and WY from http://www.huntinggpsmaps.com/ and use them constantly for hunting, horse riding and running boats on lakes. To me they are well worth the money.
I have met one of the young founders of the company and they are hardworking entrepreneurs.

I bought MT and WY from http://www.huntinggpsmaps.com/ and use them constantly for hunting, horse riding and running boats on lakes. To me they are well worth the money.
I have met one of the young founders of the company and they are hardworking entrepreneurs.

I'm sure they are hardworking as am I. But since this site is called On Your Own Adventures it would seem that doing things yourself(when possible) as opposed to having someone else do it for you($$$) would be appropriate. :D

Got the Wisconsin map from huntinggpsmaps.com and according their map I was hunting on private land tonite when in fact it has been public for over 50 years. In fact the DNR parking lot is also labeled private. They are a few hundred acres off on their listing for this marsh.

HuntingGPSmaps has a monopoly on the digital map market and they are starting to flex it. They dropped the price $20 but now you only get one download, the second download is $65. They also added a $30/yr map update fee. Of course they make it sound like this is a much better deal. The maps are good but I'm disappointed with the company.

Hunts, I know that many (most) of the people on this blog are very interesting in OYO-type hunts, but don't we need the best maps possible (especially who owns what) to be effective, ethical and legal? When I first saw software that would show me ownership on my hand held GPS, I thought "sliced bread!" I wanted it.

I was not aware of the current pricing policy, but I do know they are in market to make money. If I could reproduce their product for free or little cost (in money AND time) I would do so.

I'm hopeful they will honor my purchase when I could load to two machines and got free updates.

But I really like finding new public access areas as I drive around on back roads in MT and WY. My wife and I call them 'noiters and are often done at sun set with good country music and adult beverages. very romantic. ;)

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back